Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #23,506 of 63,834
The box on the right is ZS5 v2. I for quite some time thought that I have v1 becouse I could not see second BA. But when I used really strong light source and after many minutes of adjusting I could see that there is indeed 2 circles inside though they are quite deeper in the nozzle then I saw on pics that are posted in this thread. I think that QC is to blame becouse my ZS5 are nowhere near trebles cannons :E Yes they are sharp on silicon tips, but on KZ black sponges + rubber ring on nozzle to secure them tightly ZS5 are just amazing for the price. I have version without the mic and source i connect them to AIM SC808 (4xAD797&AD827) through extender. Though they play really nice and smooth form hp-out of redmi note 4x
Same here. I dont have any issue, treble is not ear-piercing to me even though I could be a basshead sometime. But I do miss the bass from the ZS3, I was having issue with seal on the ZS5 with medium tips, turns out that I need big tips for the ZS5 (M for ZS3). I'm using a Redmi Note 3 as a "dap". The ZS5 made me ditched Viper4Android, or at least depend a lot less on it. I now only use Spectrum Extension (1.0), Dynamic System (Extreme Headphones, 0% bass), AnalogX (Extreme) on V4A.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #23,507 of 63,834
ZS5 V2 owner... no issues with the treble... like all IEMS, headphones, etc., it comes down to the recording... some are super bright, others are dark... that's why God (I assume) evented EQ. :p

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #23,508 of 63,834
Oct 15, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #23,509 of 63,834
Not that I'm trying to encourage people to destroy things...

But I noticed elsewhere there's a bunch of chatter about "fixing" the ZS5 v2 by cutting out one of the BAs - advanced version involves desoldering one and ripping it out physically, but almost as effective to just cut the leads to one of them.

Doubt this would work right on the ZS6 due to the crossover, but thanks to some dedicated folks around here, we know that the ZS5 ought to at least continue to function on a basic level even after such things have been done to it :D

So if you have a v2 and really can't stand that treble spike ... :thinking:

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #23,510 of 63,834
Not that I'm trying to encourage people to destroy things...

But I noticed elsewhere there's a bunch of chatter about "fixing" the ZS5 v2 by cutting out one of the BAs - advanced version involves desoldering one and ripping it out physically, but almost as effective to just cut the leads to one of them.

Doubt this would work right on the ZS6 due to the crossover, but thanks to some dedicated folks around here, we know that the ZS5 ought to at least continue to function on a basic level even after such things have been done to it :D

So if you have a v2 and really can't stand that treble spike ... :thinking:
Did someone measured the ZS5 v2 and confirmed that they are indeed 4 ohm like ZS5 v1 and not 16 ohm like ZS6 or it is just pure speculation? Because if nobody checked it you could encourage someone to actually destroying their set :jecklinsmile: I've read the last 200 pages of this thread and searched on the internet and found nothing on ZS5 v2 beside pure speculation of peoples that have ZS5 v1 and never heard V2 or ZS6 and I take this kind of opinions with huge grain of salt.

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #23,511 of 63,834
Did someone measured the ZS5 v2 and confirmed that they are indeed 4 ohm like ZS5 v1 and not 16 ohm like ZS6 or it is just pure speculation? Because if nobody checked it you could encourage someone to actually destroying their set :jecklinsmile: I've read the last 200 pages of this thread and searched on the internet and found nothing on ZS5 v2 beside pure speculation of peoples that have ZS5 v1 and never heard V2 or ZS6 and I take this kind of opinions with huge grain of salt.
I don't own a v2 to confirm, I'm just relaying something rather interesting that I was reading elsewhere...

I haven't found anyone that's posted pictures or a detailed writeup though... just stuff like "my friend ripped out a BA from his, now it sounds as good as my v1" which I agree strongly should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

PS: You should be able to check for the presence of a crossover with just a multimeter - a reading close to 4 ohms DC would strongly suggest the lack of a crossover, while a reading closer to 14 would suggest the presence of one.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #23,512 of 63,834
Are you talking about the k3 hd or pro? I read here in headfi that the f9 has better imaging and instrument separation

I have the HD and a co-worker has the Pro so some of both. I like the HD a bit better than the pro but it is splitting hairs. I wouldn't rank the F9 above either of them.

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #23,514 of 63,834
I don't own a v2 to confirm, I'm just relaying something rather interesting that I was reading elsewhere...

I haven't found anyone that's posted pictures or a detailed writeup though... just stuff like "my friend ripped out a BA from his, now it sounds as good as my v1" which I agree strongly should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

PS: You should be able to check for the presence of a crossover with just a multimeter - a reading close to 4 ohms DC would strongly suggest the lack of a crossover, while a reading closer to 14 would suggest the presence of one.
I have multimeter somewhere in the garage. If I found it I will check the impedance of ZS5 v2

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #23,515 of 63,834
The box on the right is ZS5 v2. I for quite some time thought that I have v1 becouse I could not see second BA. But when I used really strong light source and after many minutes of adjusting I could see that there is indeed 2 circles inside though they are quite deeper in the nozzle then I saw on pics that are posted in this thread. I think that QC is to blame becouse my ZS5 are nowhere near trebles cannons :E Yes they are sharp on silicon tips, but on KZ black sponges + rubber ring on nozzle to secure them tightly ZS5 are just amazing for the price. I have version without the mic and source i connect them to AIM SC808 (4xAD797&AD827) through extender. Though they play really nice and smooth form hp-out of redmi note 4x

If you only see one circle but it's not centered you definitely have a v2. The v1 BA is obviously only one. I ran into the same issue and someone explained it to me.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #23,516 of 63,834
Of course it would. But that doesn't mean you'll get any results.
Putting stuff in rice only makes sense when you know that the item you want to fix isn't damaged and you havent run electricity thorugh it.

Once you've confirmed that it's damaged putting stuff near rice or silica gel or what have you is an exercise in futility.
It's easier and requires little to no effort. That's why people like it as a solution.

It would also be much more effective to just put it in a hot place.

Rice is incredibly inefficient as a dessicant. It's effectiveness in drying out electronics is mostly urban legend.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #23,517 of 63,834
I did not any measurements, but when i plug V2 version after V1 version, i need to decrease volume almost twice.

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #23,518 of 63,834
Seems like KZ secretly released a blue version of the ZSE. (Randomly found this on the KZ Official Store)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...id=b000a5fb-d699-4ed4-a2ed-f04575307d83&tpp=1
Nice. It looks cooler with that blue shell (not that the original ZSE isn't cool enough; in fact it's one of KZ's cooler designs IMO). Would definitely get this once it becomes available on my local stores.

Anyway, I already asked this before, but my queries seemed to be ignored. :frowning2: Regarding KZ's aftermarket cables, I recently bought their latest SPC cable last week (the smoke-colored one; the one they call "High Purity OFC cable"). Does this new cable less prone to turning green/oxidation unlike the earlier white v1 SPC cable (or probably the v2 too? Haven't tried the v2 much yet)? My v1 SPC recently started to turn green, maybe because it's rainy season here and hence the air became more humid.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #23,520 of 63,834
Nice. It looks cooler with that blue shell. Would definitely get this once it becomes available on my local stores.

Anyway, I already asked this before, but my queries seemed to be ignored. :frowning2: Regarding KZ's aftermarket cables, I recently bought their latest SPC cable last week (the smoke-colored one; the one they call "High Purity OFC cable"). Does this new cable less prone to turning green/oxidation unlike the earlier white v1 SPC cable (or probably the v2 too? Haven't tried the v2 much yet)? My v1 SPC recently started to turn green, maybe because it's rainy season here and hence the air became more humid.
Pretty sure most of the greening was taking place over the course of a few months at least...

I'm inclined to think mostly they haven't been around long enough for anyone to tell one way or the other. I ordered one pretty soon after they popped up and I've only had it for about a week . As a few people have already mentioned, if it does happen, it will likely be far less noticeable beneath the much darker sheath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back