Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 11, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #23,281 of 63,802
On a completely different note, I'm picking up this tomorrow and am thrilled to have found one - anybody have a clue what it is or who made it? (just wondering if anyone else has the same other hobbies).
nocheating.jpg

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #23,282 of 63,802
On a completely different note, I'm picking up this tomorrow and am thrilled to have found one - anybody have a clue what it is or who made it? (just wondering if anyone else has the same other hobbies).
Looks like a high powered outdoor stove /burner. :call_me:

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #23,285 of 63,802
Oct 11, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #23,287 of 63,802
I actually have the ZSE. Saddly I found them the least exciting earphones I tried from Kz. They sound quite muffled, muddied and somehow a little congested when it comes to certain songs. The also miss some sparkle in the highs. Comfortwise however its realy nice. But yeah its one of the cheapest Kz you can buy and unfortunately the price said it all this time...
Personally I found that the red nozzle filter contributes quite a bit to a muddied and congested sound with the ZSE, though just removing it didn't give me great results either. For a little while I was using them with a steel mesh screen covered in a thin layer of nylon and that combination struck me as a nicer result, but I honestly just haven't been inspired by them enough to keep tinkering with them. :shrug:

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #23,288 of 63,802
ZS6: sources / impedance adapters, foam

Following @HiFiChris suggestions about using sources with higher output impedance, or impedance adapters (with any source) to tame the excessive treble peaks (without altering other frequencies), I've made some new measurements.

This effect is possible thanks to impedance features of ZS6 (ZS5 & ZS6 impedance curves).
If you try this with ZS5 v1, for example, the effect is just the opposite (harsher upper-mids and treble), due to their impedance characteristics.
Graph of ZS5 and ZS6 frequency response variation when using a higher impedance source (example: GhostAudio miniA1 amplifier, output impedance 15Ω):

miniA1_ZS5_ZS6_FR.png

Now, the result frequency response of ZS6 when using an impedance adapter of 75Ω (with "stetotip" -thick silicone- and with foam tips) compared to same source without adapter, and to ZS5 v1.
(Note: closed sub-bass vent hole in ZS6 measurements; this explains the sub-bass difference with ZS5).

ZS6_sources_Zadapter_foam.png

The treble with Z adapter + foam is very near to ZS5 v1 level.
Of course, you'll have to apply more voltage (raise volume pot) to get same sound level than before.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #23,289 of 63,802
I've got the F9 and would recommend you listen to the Magaosi K3 before buying the F9. Both are good, but to my ear the K3 is better. I've been looking at the LZ A4 too and may have to pull the trigger on one eventually although hifiChris turned me on to the Brainwavz 200 so I may go that route.

Well I already have the DM5 which uses almost the same shell so I'd probably go with something different for that reason alone.
23uyjhh.jpg

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #23,290 of 63,802

Still :cocktail:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #23,292 of 63,802
My order from gearbest finally shipped today, green zs6 and upgraded cable.
ZS6: sources / impedance adapters, foam

Following @HiFiChris suggestions about using sources with higher output impedance, or impedance adapters (with any source) to tame the excessive treble peaks (without altering other frequencies), I've made some new measurements.

This effect is possible thanks to impedance features of ZS6 (ZS5 & ZS6 impedance curves).
If you try this with ZS5 v1, for example, the effect is just the opposite (harsher upper-mids and treble), due to their impedance characteristics.
Graph of ZS5 and ZS6 frequency response variation when using a higher impedance source (example: GhostAudio miniA1 amplifier, output impedance 15Ω):

Now, the result frequency response of ZS6 when using an impedance adapter of 75Ω on a <1Ω source (with "stetotip" -thick silicone- and with foam tips) compared to same source without adapter, and to ZS5 v1.
(Note: closed sub-bass vent hole in ZS6 measurements; this explains the sub-bass difference with ZS5).

The treble with Z adapter + foam is very near to ZS5 v1 level.
Of course, you'll have to apply more voltage (raise volume pot) to get same sound level than before.

What is this "Z adaptor" you refer to?

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #23,295 of 63,802
ZS5 v1: sources

After seeing ZS5 impedance characteristics (ZS5 & ZS6 impedance curves, 4.8Ω@1kHz) and sensitiveness, we can understand some of the reasons of them being so source dependent.

1- Sources which use output coupling capacitors.
These will provoke a bass roll-off; the lower impedance phones we plug (and the lower capacity of the capacitors), the more pronounced roll-off.

2- Sources with high output impedance.
These will provoke harsher upper-mids and treble (and maybe slight less bass); the higher output impedance, the harsher.

3- Sources with low power limit for such a low impedance load (~5Ω): low current limit.
These will provoke noticeable distortion when trying to get your usual sound level (volume); the lower the limit, the sooner they'll sound distorted when raising the volume.
For example, Sansas or Benjie S5 DAPs distort and clip sound soon with such lower loads.

Frequency response graph of ZS5 when using a coupling caps (470uF) source (Zishan DSD) -bass roll-off-, a "high" output impedance source (GhostAudio miniA1 amplifier, 15Ω) -harsher highs-, and a source with no coupling caps and output impedance <1Ω:

ZS5_sources_FR.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back