Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #19,832 of 63,797
ZSE just arrived and only have about 5 minutes on them, so take this with a lump of salt. They resolve well and sound more U-shaped than V-shaped, with nice slam and though not the tightest low end, are without much offensive bloat. They don't have ZS5 or ZST sparkle, but on first blush, have more clarity than the ZS3. They are smooth operators with a bit of flourish in the detail. I'm hoping as they break in they will get better, but for the $6.50 I paid, I'm quite pleased.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #19,833 of 63,797
ZSE just arrived and only have about 5 minutes on them, so take this with a lump of salt. They resolve well and sound more U-shaped than V-shaped, with nice slam and though not the tightest low end, are without much offensive bloat. They don't have ZS5 or ZST sparkle, but on first blush, have more clarity than the ZS3. They are smooth operators with a bit of flourish in the detail. I'm hoping as they break in they will get better, but for the $6.50 I paid, I'm quite pleased.

Thanks for the quick review. ☺️

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #19,834 of 63,797
@nplateau is this what yours look like?
Screenshot_20170812-155215.jpg

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #19,836 of 63,797
If it was supposed to go in the top of the nozzle (by the red screen), they would have used a slightly larger piece.

It's KZ, they would just use more glue on the foam itself.:grin:

I see your point though, i jammed the foams into the red tube and it sounds fine now.

It was interesting to remove the foams tho, it's like having a different earphone. Good mod for people who listen to classic music or very soft music.
Unfortunately, my ears were burning from too much brightness so i opted out of the mod. EQ does the trick for me.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #19,837 of 63,797
Does it own the zs5?

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #19,838 of 63,797
Does it own the zs5?
LOL! Nah, I wouldn't got that far. Especially with only about an hour of listening on them. They are definitely their own animal though, and to my ears they do present a surprising amount of balance and refinement. These aren't world beaters by any stretch, but they are really very nice for the price. I would say that what the ZSE presents is a very nice complimentary piece to the ZS5. Just like the ZS5 was an improvement over the ZST in some ways, so is the ZSE to the ZS3. So the proper analogy to describe the relationship would be the ZSE is to the ZS5 what the ZS3 is the the ZST.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #19,839 of 63,797
It's KZ, they would just use more glue on the foam itself.:grin:

I see your point though, i jammed the foams into the red tube and it sounds fine now.

It was interesting to remove the foams tho, it's like having a different earphone. Good mod for people who listen to classic music or very soft music.
Unfortunately, my ears were burning from too much brightness so i opted out of the mod. EQ does the trick for me.

Yeah, KZ loves their glue lol

Glad you got it sorted out and sounding good.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #19,840 of 63,797
...So the proper analogy to describe the relationship would be the ZSE is to the ZS5 what the ZS3 is the the ZST.

Or in other words:

ZSE > ZS3
and
ZS5 > ZST
but
ZSE < ZS5

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #19,841 of 63,797
LOL! Nah, I wouldn't got that far. Especially with only about an hour of listening on them. They are definitely their own animal though, and to my ears they do present a surprising amount of balance and refinement. These aren't world beaters by any stretch, but they are really very nice for the price. I would say that what the ZSE presents is a very nice complimentary piece to the ZS5. Just like the ZS5 was an improvement over the ZST in some ways, so is the ZSE to the ZS3. So the proper analogy to describe the relationship would be the ZSE is to the ZS5 what the ZS3 is the the ZST.

What about ZSE vs ZS3/ZST ? hehe

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #19,842 of 63,797

That sounds promising. :thumbsup:

Can't wait for mine to arrive in the next few days. :ksc75smile:

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #19,844 of 63,797
My initial, and very (very!) brief impressions of the ZSE were not too positive. I found the sound a bit muddled overall, at least compared to the ZS5 and possibly the ZST, and I also had a hard time getting a good fit; worn cord-down, they just kept falling out of my ears awkwardly with any sort of movement.

Admittedly, it was really hard for me to find the motivation to listen to them longer than a few minutes since I got them at the same time as my TA Icarus 3. I will have to give them more of a listen when I become bored with the Icks (if that ever actually happens... Lol)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back