Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #18,256 of 63,672
Be careful of using the silver cable the wrong way. I had the pins backwards, causing it to sound off. The graph is stock cable.

Could you possibly take a pic showing which way the cable should go in? I tried both ways on my silver cable but I'm not sure if I can tell a difference...

Sounds like a good time to repost my Public Service Announcement LOL

Here's my photo showing how to check for proper orientation on the KZ 2-pin models (ZS3, ZST, ZS5):

kz-2pin-plug.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #18,257 of 63,672
It's keyed, so when you push it down to seat it in you can't even put it in backwards.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #18,259 of 63,672
It's keyed, so when you push it down to seat it in you can't even put it in backwards.

Actually, there's been a bunch of people that have put it in backwards. It just doesn't seat down all the way, and gets held in solely by the friction of the pins (at least temporarily, until it works loose and falls out).

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #18,261 of 63,672
ZS5 sound impressions after 150 hours, compared to OOTB. Silver KZ cable used. Driven from Xiaomi Mi5, various modern pop/rock/dance tracks tested.

After burning in, it seems to have a cleaner midbass, and smoother transition to mids with a bit of bleed. Mids are relaxed and slightly recessed. Upper mids and treble are still bitey somewhat. Imaging and airiness remain very good.

Overall impressions:
Bass is nice. Subbass goes deep enough and isn't boomy. A bit of rumble is felt. Midbass is just a touch wooly, but not bloated (actually quicker than expected), with a good punch and decay.

Mids are the weakest part of ZS5 for me. Mildly recessed, vocals don't soar above the rest of the spectrum, with the bass threatening to bleed into them. They sometimes sound a bit hollow too. Good part is they sound relatively relaxed and flat.

Upper mids and treble have good presence, with some sparkle and good detail levels. Not harsh to my ears, but the edges sound a bit rough and unrefined. Dry compared to the good-bodied and smooth bass.

Soundstage is large for this price range. Good width and depth. Imaging is wonderful, I've been tricked a couple times by them. I looked at the direction of a voice I thought was calling me, saw no one and realised it's from the track I'm playing. What I love most is the overall quick note attacks, leading to a spacious and airy sound. This can work against the ZS5 sometimes (the mids hollowness for example), but the spaciousness and accurate imaging are pretty addictive enough to give the other shortcomings a pass.

Overall it's a very enjoyable U-shaped IEM for $30, with imaging and soundstage capabilities comparable to more expensive IEMs. I haven't gone into comparisons yet, but will try soon when I have the time.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #18,263 of 63,672

Here's my photo showing how to check for proper orientation on the KZ 2-pin models (ZS3, ZST, ZS5):

Thx for the post. In actual fact my ZST and ZS3 needed to have the correct way to fit in however my ZS5 seems to be able to fit in both directions. Both ways dont go in very deep. Unless I'm not using enough strength on the correct side...

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #18,264 of 63,672

Once a week should do it.:alarm_clock::camera:

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #18,265 of 63,672
Thx for the post. In actual fact my ZST and ZS3 needed to have the correct way to fit in however my ZS5 seems to be able to fit in both directions. Both ways dont go in very deep. Unless I'm not using enough strength on the correct side...

No problem, glad to help.

On both of my sets of ZS3s, it takes near gorilla force to get it to seat fully (lined up properly of course). It takes much less force on the ZST, but it appears that much of the force required on the ZS3 is not the pins but rather the plug body itself (which has long shoulders & inserts rather deeply into the IEM shell's recessed female socket). Since the ZS5 and ZS3 share the same cable, I assume the story with the ZS5 is pretty much the same.

Once a week should do it.:alarm_clock::camera:

haha, yeah. I added it in my signature, which should help :0)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #18,266 of 63,672
when they start to turn green, you should notice a slight dip in the mid frequencies. Some people also notice a slight narrowing of the soundstage...but only on classical music composers who were born in France.
Or C as the in Canada. DOTS COOL.

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #18,268 of 63,672
Few days ago, ordered ZS5 (gray, no mic, with silver cable) and Vido earbuds from NiceHCK, using a smartphone app. Using a phone gives a huge discount on ZS5 and store auto deducted about a dollar just cuz the amount is somewhat high. Total =28,5$... there is a deal if I've ever seen one.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #18,269 of 63,672
Few days ago, ordered ZS5 (gray, no mic, with silver cable) and Vido earbuds from NiceHCK, using a smartphone app. Using a phone gives a huge discount on ZS5 and store auto deducted about a dollar just cuz the amount is somewhat high. Total =28,5$... there is a deal if I've ever seen one.
Should one get the silver cable together for the ZS5?

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #18,270 of 63,672
The price of the ZS5 already dropped to 25$ on AE
Anyway anyone here used his ZS3 on a Galaxy S8? If yes is the S8 good enough to drive them?

Only tried them briefly on my s8 (exynos versi on) and they seemed fine. Will give them a proper listen later and let you know.

One thing I can say though is the ZSTs have amazing synergy with the S8. They have to be the most source sensitive earphone I own! The highs made my ears bleed on my LG G4 and they sounded MUCH better on my Xduoo X3, but they sound phenomenal on my S8, almost to the level of the ZS5.

Maybe this variance with source contributes to the varying opinions on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back