Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 1, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #18,001 of 63,829
The ZS5 really is a big upgrade from the Tennmak Pro which I also have. However I wish they had the Pro's comfort, they do tend to hurt my ears a bit after long use which I never had with the Pro which is my favourite IEM for comfort. Having both the original and silver cable I didn't notice any difference in sound myself.

Listening to the ZS5 it's hard to believe that they are KZ's when compared to the ones I already have. They really made a big jump in sound quality here as far as I'm concerned.

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #18,002 of 63,829
I placed my order for ZS5 9 days ago, and it has still not shipped :/

Anyone else still waiting in the pre-order backlog? I ordered from Aliexpress seller ****.

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #18,004 of 63,829
A friend of mine at work has been considering them. I have read that they are treble-cannons, and can have pretty significant sibilance (unbearable to some). That sound signature it way too bright/sharp for me, but he says he likes lots of treble. I stumbled across this recent mod (by member @joshuadapitan) that is supposed to provide some improvements: https://www.head-fi.org/f/articles/superlux-hd661-anti-sibilance-and-comfort-mod.19634/

Yes, I confirm they are a treble cannon headphones. To be honest, I mostly use them for monitoring. I find those treble cannon headphones does not hurt when used with a phone, or a dedicated studio mixer (of course with the mod applied), but when on amps, they seem to be unforgiving. I forgot to mention it on my review of the HD661. https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/superlux-hd661.13671/

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #18,007 of 63,829
I received my colorful zst yesterday. The mic-cable version i ordered now has memory wire, as others have said previously.
Haven't compared them to my other zst yet, could be interesting to see if there are any differences.

Thinking about the zs5 as well. I thought i would take a chi-fi break after buying the magaosi k3...

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #18,008 of 63,829
The ZS5 really is a big upgrade from the Tennmak Pro which I also have. However I wish they had the Pro's comfort, they do tend to hurt my ears a bit after long use which I never had with the Pro which is my favourite IEM for comfort. Having both the original and silver cable I didn't notice any difference in sound myself.

Listening to the ZS5 it's hard to believe that they are KZ's when compared to the ones I already have. They really made a big jump in sound quality here as far as I'm concerned.

FYI, more than 1 reports of removing the memory wire solving the comfort problems with the ZS5. The KZ memory wires are easy to remove (only takes a minute).

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #18,009 of 63,829
I placed my order for ZS5 9 days ago, and it has still not shipped :/

Anyone else still waiting in the pre-order backlog? I ordered from Aliexpress seller ****.

Nope

2017-05-27 17:27

Electronic information has been received

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #18,010 of 63,829
I ordered my ZS5 from the seller who shall not be named on 19.05, they were sent on 26.05 and on 31.05 they arrived in my country. With a bit of luck I may get them tomorrow if not, then on Monday for sure.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #18,013 of 63,829
I just got the ZS5 recently and coming from Tennmak Pro and Cello, the ZS5 sounds awesome.

In terms of sound quality, the sound stage, clarity and instrument separation all sound much better on the ZS5. The mids are ever so slightly recessed but other than that it's great.

That said, original cable is kinda annoying, it has that "rubbery sticky" feel to it. Ordered an silver upgrade cable, wonder if it'll improve the sound further.

The stickiness for the ZS3/ZS5 cable improves a bit after using it for a while, but yeah the upgrade cables are much nicer feeling if you don't like the rubbery stickiness.
ZST stock cable is THE WORST for rubbery sticky feel

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #18,014 of 63,829
Just recieve

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #18,015 of 63,829
My first impression of ZS5 is not bad but dun WOW me like the **** 4in1. ZS5 is definitely way better then the ZS3 with a more fuller 3D sound. Clarity and details have to go to **** 4in1... Going to burn in further and compare again days later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back