Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #16,876 of 63,832

Have you thought about contacting the seller where you got the ZS3 from? Like VShaft, my ZS3 has zero driver flex. And driver flex does reduce the life of the IEM, so if you just recently received them it's worth a shot to see if you can get them replaced (especially if you got them from a reputable seller like Gearbest).

nah, I've already opened the zs3 anyway (had to resolder the drivers connection to the terminal) and I don't want the trouble of replacing/refunding it anyway. Foam tips works fine so I'll just have to live with it hehe.

Did you actually try "poking" in and around the ventholes with a needle to see if something was indeed clogging it.? It's a cost-free and time-saving solution, before making any refund/replacement requests.

Not just poke but I've opened it. It seems that the "tube" is glued to the drivers opening so there's little to no vent on the driver inside even though the zs3 has a tiny hole.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #16,877 of 63,832
where the atr though? This iem should be with the ate or on top of ate.

I may give the ATR another chance just the issue of less bit treble bothers me as they seem clogged though physically they are not. I like my EP crystal clear treble without harshness and sibilance.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #16,878 of 63,832
I divide what I listen to into 2 categories, and have preferred IEMs for each:

1. EDM, trance, techno, rave, dubstep, DnB, industrial, and house. For this I prefer a generally signature with an emphasis on bass, treble that's not overly bright/shrill.
2. 'Rock' (guitar-heavy w/vocals) - punk, new wave, dark wave, classic rock, heavy/speed/death metal. For this I typically prefer a neutral signature, detailed, wide soundstage, and good instrument separation.

I have other non-KZ IEMs that I really like (MEMT X5, Rock Zircon, Xiaomi HD Pro), but if I had to pick my top KZ-only for each category, it would be as follows:

1. ZS1 (1st gen ie brass ring), ZS3 (w/silver upgrade cable), ATE (2nd gen w/open grille mod), EDSE (w/open grille mod), and W1 Pro (port mods). I use KZ Starline tips on all in this category.
2. ANV (2nd gen w/foam nozzle mod), ZN1 Mini, ZST (2nd gen w/silver upgrade cable), HDS1, and ED9 (gold nozzle, with fiberfill & grille mods). I use memory foam or wide-bore KZ Turbo tips in this category.

Source is Xduoo X3 with FiiO E12A Mont Blanc headphone amp. Files are all mostly FLAC, with some 320k MP3.

I never heard of some of those im shocked the ZST are not highly used in those 2 gens you like. ZS1 and ANV that good eh? I may look into getting them in a couple of month$. Can i see your mods of those?

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #16,879 of 63,832
I never heard of some of those im shocked the ZST are not highly used in those 2 gens you like. ZS1 and ANV that good eh? I may look into getting them in a couple of month$. Can i see your mods of those?

Nah, don't read too much into it - they are pretty close to one another, so in a lot of ways it's splitting hairs. This is the reason for #4 of my 'why summary lists can be deceiving':

4. Different people hear things differently. Some people are more sensitive to treble or sibilance than others (depending on age, personal tastes, music genre, etc). So if someone says "The ED9 is too bright", well it might be too bright for them but not for you. So you have to take that for a grain of salt too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ZST and use it from time to time. But I just prefer the ANV and ZN1 slightly more. Some of it is due to comfort (especially the ZN1), but strictly looking at sound they other 2 just sound more neutral and balanced to me. The bass on the ZST is a little too recessed and the treble a tad too forward in comparison. Remember that you can adjust all of this in EQ.

As far as the ZS1 (1st gen), I think it should be on every basshead's bucket list to experience in their lifetime before they die LOL. It is the bass king, plain and simple, and the sound is just heavenly. And it's ridiculously comfortable, even though the "custom IEM" looking ZS3/ZST looks like it would be more comfortable. I've done zero mods to the ZS1 except change the tips to the KZ Starlines due to fit/comfort - it doesn't need anything else. Remember, the ZS3 is a natural evolution of the ZS1 - so if you like the ZS3, you will love the ZS1.

The ZS1 1st gen also has a crossover in it, which was deleted for the 2nd gen. It is obviously these 2 things (crossover and brass ring) that are the reason why the ZS1 1st gen sounds so amazing. If I ever found another set to buy as a backup, I would in a New York minute.

I can't speak for the ZS2 or the ZS1 2nd gen because I've never heard them for myself. It is reported that the ZS1 2nd gen sounds identical to the ZN1 Mini because for the ZS1 2nd gen KZ deleted the brass ring & crossover. And since the two share the same cases & drivers, they effectively ARE the 'same'! You'll have to look around carefully and ask a seller to verify that it is indeed a 1st Gen. It's very easy to tell visually - the 1st gen has a brass ring (and no mesh screen) that you can see right through the bore of the tip, like this:

As far as the ANV, it's one of KZ's old models and is no longer available. The mod is simply a practically microscopic piece of acoustic foam in the IEM nozzle (or even silicone tip if the nozzle has a mesh cover). You basically use the mod to knock down and smooth out an IEM with overly harsh treble, and the effect can be fine tuned by using different types and densities of foam. The foam from a sponge earpad works great (like this: http://imgur.com/hQ5Xzcq), and 1 set of pads will provide enough to mod 500+ IEMs LOL. It's the same idea as the foam in the gold nozzle of the ED9. Another member (B9Scrambler) used a small piece of fabric (same idea as the foam). The mod looks like this (B9Scrambler's photo, who gave me the idea to try it on the ANV):

- Slater

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #16,880 of 63,832
Nah, don't read too much into it - they are pretty close to one another, so in a lot of ways it's splitting hairs. This is the reason for #4 of my 'why summary lists can be deceiving':

4. Different people hear things differently. Some people are more sensitive to treble or sibilance than others (depending on age, personal tastes, music genre, etc). So if someone says "The ED9 is too bright", well it might be too bright for them but not for you. So you have to take that for a grain of salt too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ZST and use it from time to time. But I just prefer the ANV and ZN1 slightly more. Some of it is due to comfort (especially the ZN1), but strictly looking at sound they other 2 just sound more neutral and balanced to me. The bass on the ZST is a little too recessed and the treble a tad too forward in comparison. Remember that you can adjust all of this in EQ.

As far as the ZS1 (1st gen), I think it should be on every basshead's bucket list to experience in their lifetime before they die LOL. It is the bass king, plain and simple, and the sound is just heavenly. And it's ridiculously comfortable, even though the "custom IEM" looking ZS3/ZST looks like it would be more comfortable. I've done zero mods to the ZS1 except change the tips to the KZ Starlines due to fit/comfort - it doesn't need anything else. Remember, the ZS3 is a natural evolution of the ZS1 - so if you like the ZS3, you will love the ZS1.

I can't speak for the ZS2 or the ZS1 2nd gen (although the ZS1 2nd gen is reported to sound identical to the ZN1 Mini). You'll have to look around carefully and ask a seller to verify that it is indeed a 1st Gen. It's very easy to tell visually - the 1st gen has a brass ring (and no mesh screen) that you can see right through the bore of the tip, like this:

The ZS1 1st gen also has a crossover in it, which was deleted for the 2nd gen. It is obviously these 2 things (crossover and brass ring) that are the reason why the ZS1 1st gen sounds so amazing. If I ever found another set to buy as a backup, I would in a New York minute.

As far as the ANV, it's one of KZ's old models and is no longer available. The mod is simply a practically microscopic piece of acoustic foam in the IEM nozzle (or even silicone tip if the nozzle has a mesh cover). You basically use the mod to knock down and smooth out an IEM with overly harsh treble, and the effect can be fine tuned by using different types and densities of foam. The foam from a sponge earpad works great (like this: http://imgur.com/hQ5Xzcq), and 1 set of pads will provide enough to mod 500+ IEMs LOL. It's the same idea as the foam in the gold nozzle of the ED9. Another member (B9Scrambler) used a small piece of fabric (same idea as the foam). The mod looks like this (B9Scrambler's photo, who gave me the idea to try it on the ANV):

- Slater

As always a through report thanks slater. Hopefully I'll get to try the the 1st gen ZS1 before a bear attack. Run Leo! Zoinks. Edit just looked on ebay and mostly saw the newer ZS1 with 4 holes. OH.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #16,881 of 63,832
Gearbest is awesome! They offered to refund me in full or send me a new one without the need to return the defective ZS3. I will definitely be buying from them again.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #16,883 of 63,832
Gearbest is awesome! They offered to refund me in full or send me a new one without the need to return the defective ZS3. I will definitely be buying from them again.

Glad it worked out for you! I would never hesitate to contact them if you receive something that isn't right. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Gearbest, and have bought hundreds of items from them. They've always been very eager to resolve issues with me.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #16,884 of 63,832
  whats the dev on the new multidriver iem from KZ?? 

Can you be more specific? New as in literally brand new? Or new as in the newEST?

Unless they just released something today, the newEST multi-driver that I'm aware of is the ZST (DD+BA):

You know something from the top-secret KZ Skunkworks lab that none of us know about yet?

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #16,885 of 63,832
Can you be more specific? New as in literally brand new? Or new as in the newEST?

Unless they just released something today, the newEST multi-driver that I'm aware of is the ZST (DD+BA):

You know something from the top-secret KZ Skunkworks lab that none of us know about yet?

lol......looks like you havent heard of what he had asked for may be? -zsr-pro!!! :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #16,886 of 63,832
lol......looks like you havent heard of what he had asked for may be? -zsr-pro!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Holy moly! 10-driver sign me up

Sign me up!

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #16,890 of 63,832
I just ordered a pair last night along with the Awei 900i and a cheap 1.94 fun green iem with vol control looks nice i doubt the sq will be good. Who knows might be a gem in the rough. Both are said to nice in bass mids and highs. We will see.
On another note Im Really digging those ED3 acme pretty good with all gens too. Very impressed for such a cheap iem. NOW those 2 tips SLSpam can get them on ebay? I think i only saw the turbines when i looked a couple weeks back.

Cool. Interested to hear what you think about them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back