Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #15,601 of 63,834
I've ordered both the Vivo XE800 and the KZ HD9 on Aliexpress. Once they both arrive and after some burn in time I'll let fellow Head-Fi'ers know about how the XE800 and the HD9 compares with each other in detail in terms of build quality, design, comfort and sound quality with the use of the Topping NX2 Amp and DAC (with and without), Toshiba Satellite P850, Samsung Galaxy S7, iPad Air and iPad 3rd Generation.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #15,602 of 63,834
Purchased the kz atr. It cost me what a big Mac meal with large fries would.

I've poopooed the budget phones since getting into this hobby. These iems are fantastic for the price. They compete directly with the aurisonics forte (not a very good iem at all, can't even sell for 1/4 price, but still...). The have smidge of clarity and decent bass depth, but the one aspect that makes them truly stand out is the layering. No budget headphone I've tried at this point layers well at well, but these hint at it, for $8!
Do you have burn in the iem cuz it needs to burn in to make sure the sound more pop out.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #15,603 of 63,834
Purchased the kz atr. It cost me what a big Mac meal with large fries would.

I've poopooed the budget phones since getting into this hobby. These iems are fantastic for the price. They compete directly with the aurisonics forte (not a very good iem at all, can't even sell for 1/4 price, but still...). The have smidge of clarity and decent bass depth, but the one aspect that makes them truly stand out is the layering. No budget headphone I've tried at this point layers well at well, but these hint at it, for $8!

Wait till you try ZSTs

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #15,607 of 63,834
Which ZSTs did you get? The purple or original ones? The last time I demoed original ones the treble was around the same as ZS3 but much poorer bass control. Thinking whether to give them a shot again...

i got the original black ones--i've read there's no difference in tuning from the purple ones, tho there could be batch variations. to my ears i find the zst to have substantially more treble extension/detail than the zs3 and quite good bass control, tho the zs3 have more lowend depth/emphasis. the zst is definitely the more refined tuning, which doesn't mean you'll like it better (i like both). in general, my initial impressions align with the review posted by cinder, which gives them good marks except for  a softness/lack of detail in the midrange--guitars and vox could use a bit more bite and emphasis. that said, i briefly pulled out my fidue a73 and pmv a01ii (two similar form factors) to compare and was surprised at how well the zst fared--the zst sounded just a little flatter in comparison--but considering they're 1/7 of the price the zst was actually pretty close. i'm gonna a/b them with my previous fave, the ed9.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #15,608 of 63,834
LOL i like the way you describe. That's the only KZ i dislike to the point of hate though i remembered someone said it's good few posts back. Each to their own i guess

I really tried to find something I liked about the ED12 and as such I came up without any answers.

ZST is a solid hybrid effort
ZS3 is a great listen, technically there are better but I love 'em

It's almost as though the ED12 was meant to be the more mid tuned earphone and its just a complete dogs dinner. Unfortunately for me when our whippet decided to chew a pair he went for the Kinera BD05 rather than the ED12. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #15,611 of 63,834
Please explain the ED12, what's wrong with it? 
If memory serves me right, the overall sound of the ED12 is off with unnaturally forward midrange coupled with a treble that is rolled off too much that makes music sounded dull. The bass probably is the better presented ones overall with good amount of punch (seems like ED series tuning)though lacking depth and a little too much on midbass. Midrange particularly vocals sounded closed & congested, lacking openness which makes the clarity suffers a lot. Not too sure how others think of it but as usual YMMV and it's been too long since i last heard it.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #15,612 of 63,834
It is really confusing why KZ launched the colorful version. It would have been nice if they told us if they just made a cosmetic change or if they really changed the sound signature. While many people say that both versions sound the same, few are saying that the latter batches of the colorful ZSTs sound different (for example - https://goo.gl/J0iyeE ). On Gearbest, only the original version of the ZST is under discount now and so is a little cheaper than the colorful version.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #15,615 of 63,834
Thank you!

I think audiophilia, to call it like a disease, totally ruins this hobby for most users without them even knowing. We are talking about an in ear monitor, of course you do not need an amplifier, though there are a very few exceptions. Of course your source should be loud enough but these earphones are made (!) to be used on everyday phones, notebooks etc.
It really makes me sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back