Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #14,941 of 63,801
BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL, YOU SHALL HAVE YOUR ANSWER (mostly)​

ZST is the most grandiose sounding of the bunch. Lots of energy, big bass, bright treble, aggressive midrange. ZS3 is imo warmer, darker, more natural sounding, and more mid-bass focused. Less fatiguing too. Soundstage is similar in size but ZST is a step up in terms of raw detail and accuracy, imaging quality, and instrument separation. Those are it's best qualities I feel.

ATR and ZS3 are pretty similar overall but with some key differences that I covered a while back. Post 1 / Post 2 Hopefully those help.

My ZS1 isn't the same as the model you can buy right now but I have spent some time with the current revision. It sounded identical to my ZN1 Mini so I'll be using that. ZS3's lower treble is more prominent while the ZN1 has better extension. They both have a lovely, smooth midrange though I'd give the ZS3 the edge. The ZN1 comes across a bit veiled in direct comparison. The ZN1 is a touch grainy top to bottom lacking the refinement of the ZS3. ZS3's bass is slightly less prominent and better controlled.I find the ZN1's bass to be a little hollow and heavy. Speaking of weight, the ZS3 has a thinner, more nimble and distant presentation. If you want a fun, bassy signature that doesn't sacrifice much in the way of treble/mid quality, the ZN1/ZS1 is a good pick. If you want something that's a bit more balanced, the ZS3 would be the better option.

I'm not going to compare to the ED9 since I have such a love/hate relationship with that earphone. At times it sounds amazing, at others the treble is too wild and splashy. I'll leave that to another.

The original ZS1 has a crossover covering the rear of the treble driver and a brass ring in the nozzle instead of the standard mesh you find on most earphones. You can sort of see the crossover in the image below. You can't buy this one anymore. Talking to KZ back in the day through their AliExpress store, it seems this was a limited release.

This thing is a super smooth, highly refined bass cannon. Much warmer and bassier than the current version imo. Personally I think the current model is technically the better of the two, but I like the original more. Way too much fun to listen to. The bass is unnecessary and it's awesome. Very unique.

Thank you HE-MAN!

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #14,942 of 63,801
So i have the ZST now for a couple of days including the Fiio A3 amp and i have tryed several Flac music files and i still like it alot. i have about 20 hours of listening on them and i find the high frequenties to be a bit to much but with my Player Pro app on my phone i can adjust the 16K minus 3db and than the sound is fine .. I find the mid tones to be somewhere in the back of the room .. this is not the best part of the ZST in mine opinion. dont get me wrong, there is some Mid tones but not that much .. than the Bass .. I like this .. I am very impressed with the low tones of this ZST set .. not just the electronic dance bass ore the bass pedals but also bass gituar and other low freq. are impressive.. its is not TO loud but exremely powerfull. 

Wearing them is another thing .. I have tryed all 3 sizes of the earplugs that came with the set and the biggest set will give me the best sound but they are just a little to big and are not realy comftable. so i tryed several other ones from other brands and i found a set them will fit perfect but they do not sound that good. . so back to the originals,.. I also seem to have funny ears .. i can get the cable to sit easy arround my ears and the cable wil flip over to the front very easy .. i have to find a solution for this.. 

Now this is another test i did .. i went to a hifi shop where you can listen to hig hend earplugs with a set of fresh earplugs to a burned in set of IEM .. i tryed several from Senheisser , Focal , Sony and Shure .. Only the Focal was better in the staging ,high and mid tones .. but the ZST was better in the Bass tones. . i even let the salesman in the shop listen to the ZST .. he was suprized and liked it alot but he also pointed out the lack of mid tones. . than again when i told him these were less than 20 euro .. he wanted to buy my set ... lol .. 

so i ordered 6 sets of ZST. just as backup and a set of ATR and ZS1 .. just to tru and may be find some more mid tones. .. 
to bad i started out with the ZST.. will be hard to beat .. 

Oohh i do have a very nice solution to stick the Fiio on your phone without using the rubber bands.. Here in the Netherlands we can buy those small silicone matts to lay down on the dashboard of your car .. you can put a phone ore keys ore sunglasses on them and they stick and dont fall down ..may be you are familiar with them .. so i bought one for 80 cents and cut them in a size of 2 cm bij 6 cm and patched that on the Fiio and than on the back of the phone.. sucked right into eachother and this is perfect .. no bands ore whatever needed .. 

best regards. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #14,943 of 63,801
Coming back from using the Tennmak Pro's almost exclusively since Christmas, it takes quite some time for your brain to adjust to the highs of the ZST's. At first they sound harsh and sibilant, but a few hours in you get smooth clarity when your brain switches on the "Auto-EQ" :).

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #14,944 of 63,801
  Coming back from using the Tennmak Pro's almost exclusively since Christmas, it takes quite some time for your brain to adjust to the highs of the ZST's. At first they sound harsh and sibilant, but a few hours in you get smooth clarity when your brain switches on the "Auto-EQ" :).

Brain burn-in 
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #14,946 of 63,801
Guys so here in brazil we have an iem called she8000 from philips, i didnt find it in gearbest or other stores so if someone has already tried it how is it compared to kz iems? also wich is better: zs1, ed9, hds3, edr2;edr1, ed4 or ed3m? or at least the bests of these. ty ;v

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #14,947 of 63,801
HNNNNNNG.

They're making a CA-"inspired" IEM?

I Love these guys.

EDIT: Nevermind, these are an actual photo of the CA Nova. Probably not going to be as blatant as this.

Judging by the molds on the box, It does seem like its going to look a lot like the Nova.

Did any of you get 50 GB on gearbest for signing up?
During checkout, I used 50gb and got $1 off. I did not know I had 50 GB.

Yeah you will get points for doing some stuff on their website.

Gearbest usually is (one of) the cheapest seller of KZ, and so far i don't think there has been any suggestions that gearbest are selling older batches than the rest or b-stock or anything

They are the cheapest. Wait for the flash sales and also use some GB points.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #14,948 of 63,801
Hey guys,  I promised to keep you updated on this. I bought this cheap bluetooth earphone ($4): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wireless-Neckband-Bluetooth-Headset-Sports-headphone-Earphone-Stereo-Earbuds-Earpiece-With-Microphone-For-Phone/32687812766.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10068_10000009_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_9999_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10099_10078_10079_427_426_10103_10073_10102_10096_10052_10050_10107_10051_10106-10050_9999,searchweb201603_1,afswitch_2&btsid=868d404e-5ade-4f05-8e18-aefa36ee837e

... and let my brother open it up, and solder on of my old, broken cable IEMs to it. Piece of cake. I got my IEM working again, I got a bluetooth headphone and it's cheap too! Works brilliantly. No disconnections, very few distortions (only in almost complete silence you could hear some background, but it might be my 16 ohm in-ears). They go very loud also.

I'd say get one (or a few), buy some KZs too (ATR, EDR2), cut the cable and goooooooooooooo .

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #14,950 of 63,801

Tennmak MMCX Bluetooth 4.1 Cable, Detachable Cable for Tennmak PRO,Piano,SE215 SE315 SE425 SE535 SE846 UE900 earphone

I was looking at these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-MMCX-Bluetooth-4-1-Cable-Detachable-Cable-for-Tennmak-PRO-Piano-SE215-SE315-SE425-SE535/32743693143.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.UUEkVN

Anyone know if they will work with any of the KZ line?  Or, are there any similar to the one I posted with swappable connections for other headphone lineups?

EDIT: Alternatively, any good non-swappable bluetooth IEMs for sport use (such as QCY QY19 above)?

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #14,951 of 63,801
  Nice DIY idea! the sound is good enough as well then?

I'm happy with my qcy qy19 bluetooth earphones, but it's always good knowing the DIY ideas are working!

I hadnt used the in-ears for years because the cable was broken but it sounded exactly as I remember. I have another same in-ear, also with broken cable lying around. Could test them, but things like volume matching would be awful so the conclusions might be worthless. Im happy with the sound and for this tiny amount of money.....

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #14,952 of 63,801

Tennmak MMCX Bluetooth 4.1 Cable, Detachable Cable for Tennmak PRO,Piano,SE215 SE315 SE425 SE535 SE846 UE900 earphone

I was looking at these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-MMCX-Bluetooth-4-1-Cable-Detachable-Cable-for-Tennmak-PRO-Piano-SE215-SE315-SE425-SE535/32743693143.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.UUEkVN

Anyone know if they will work with any of the KZ line?  Or, are there any similar to the one I posted with swappable connections for other headphone lineups?

EDIT: Alternatively, any good non-swappable bluetooth IEMs for sport use (such as QCY QY19 above)?

I have that adapter, they sound incredible with the Tennmak Pro. As far as I know KZ has no earphones with MMCX connectors so I'm afraid it wouldn't work but if you're looking for an impressive wireless sound quality pair I highly recommend grabbing that bluetooth cable and a pair of Tennmak Pro. It beats any Bluetooth earphone I've tried so far which include some of the highest regarded models here on head-fi and not by a small margin.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #14,953 of 63,801

I have that adapter, they sound incredible with the Tennmak Pro. As far as I know KZ has no earphones with MMCX connectors so I'm afraid it wouldn't work but if you're looking for an impressive wireless sound quality pair I highly recommend grabbing that bluetooth cable and a pair of Tennmak Pro. It beats any Bluetooth earphone I've tried so far which include some of the highest regarded models here on head-fi and not by a small margin.

Sadly with bluetooth it's not all about sound quality.

How's the battery life? The 3 hours of talk time they list on the page are absolutely unacceptable.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #14,955 of 63,801
Maybe I got a defective pair of ZS3s? They sound maybe out of phase? Whatever the problem I don't like the sound at all and much prefer the sound of the KZ-RX over all the other KZs I've heard (ED9, ZS3, ED4, ED3M, ZS1 and a few more I dont rember the name) but they are not perfect by any means. I would like them to be a little flatter. They have a slight v shaped response leaving the vocals somewhat pushed back but the detail is amazing for the price and no noticeable sibilance. That's a big deal for me. ED12, GR and ZST are in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back