Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #14,928 of 63,834

Swear to God I was ready to throw it out after putting it on for the first time. I was disappointed, really disappointed, I was expecting it to be better than my ZS3, but then I gave it a chance, I took it off, kept the music playing, maxed the volume on my source, went to do the dishes and came back to it after about an hour.

Funny that you mentioned this, i just also had the same experience like this, with the TY HI-Z 32.
when i first opened the box and tested it (it was in the morning), it sounded 2 dimensional, the mid is too recessed (extreme V shaped eq) . my friends came at the afternoon and we tested it, and they have the same opinions about it. fast forward to to night time, i listened the new metallica album on spotify (because i think that suits the earphone characteristic the best)....and after a while, i noticed the mids and soundstage opened up.

mind you i don't really believe in burning in, and i also thought that it is only psychological after trying it for some time, but i listened to the same songs that i used to test them in the morning(also A/B ing it to my other monitors), it is changing sound

I asked my friend to listen to it again this afternoon, and he was also mindblown because it sounded different (and heaps better than yesterday, he said).

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #14,929 of 63,834
Plextone X41M on the way and they are suppose to be for extreme bassheads.
I tried these before I got more into earbuds. They scared me - I'm no basshead, and I was convinced were possessed by demons - and so I gave them away. The recipient said they were the best earphones he'd ever had and asked where he could get them, for spares. He likes bass. Both of us agreed they smelled a bit odd though :-D Hopefully that was just my pair.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #14,930 of 63,834
I tried these before I got more into earbuds. They scared me - I'm no basshead, and I was convinced were possessed by demons - and so I gave them away. The recipient said they were the best earphones he'd ever had and asked where he could get them, for spares. He likes bass. Both of us agreed they smelled a bit odd though :-D Hopefully that was just my pair.

Oh man, i hope they don't suck.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #14,931 of 63,834
  Tennmak Pro's are much better than the ATR. ATR's sound tinny and low quality.

ZST is still my top.

It's just the opposite for me! ATR are my top while ZST and tennmak pro sound 'tinnier' and splashy. To each his own I guess. :p
And it's not that I don't like bright earphones; love my **** 4in1 and Vivo Xe800 a lot!!

Don`t mind him, he is being too subjective all the time and don`t consider other facts that ppl have different source gear, different hearing, different genre and sound preferences.
ATR certainly do not sound tinny neither low quality and it`s pretty certain "fact" by many ppl here who have them. 
But ATR has little "lacks/fault(s)" too (like most cheaper gear) - their soundstage is just average and echoes/reverbs don`t extend quite well to distance as they should.
I personally prefer 5th gen ATE over ATR due to larger soundstage (in every direction but especially frontal depth) and little more distant out of headstage presentation.
That`s probably why some find them too "dry" and boring. 
But like I said in the beginning of post - a lot depends from source gear. ATR is best with source gear that has neutral signature but slight "warmth". With very neutral and revealing source it may actually turn rather "bright & harsh". With poor source (cheap smartphone) that has warm and low definition in details it can sound pretty meh.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #14,933 of 63,834
They don't, don't worry :) Just different tastes (aside from the pong and no-one else has complained). It's just a serious amount of bass, which wasn't for me, but which others love.

I played the bit from Why So Serious from The Dark Knight that is good for testing sub-bass, and it was all there, believe me.

Why not use EQ then?

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #14,934 of 63,834
@Kerkyboi
 Nice purchase man! Hope you enjoy them. While it looks odd, that gap is supposed to be there. There are two vents hidden away inside above where it says 'ZST HIFI-Armature'. You can sorta see them here.

Thanks! To tell you honestly, these are 2 months in the making before it reached me. There is just too much problems with Gearbest for almost all my KZ orders reason why I quickly got a little disappointed.

Ok, So I did a close examination on my pair and you are right, there are two vents just above "ZST HIFI Armature". Oh lord you don't know how relieved I am right now. At least now I know the "flaws" I encountered earlier are all normal. I actually suspected this gaps to be causing the bad sound quality I heard when I first popped them in my ears. I even tried to close them up properly! :joy::joy:

Funny that you mentioned this, i just also had the same experience like this, with the TY HI-Z 32.
when i first opened the box and tested it (it was in the morning), it sounded 2 dimensional, the mid is too recessed (extreme V shaped eq) . my friends came at the afternoon and we tested it, and they have the same opinions about it. fast forward to to night time, i listened the new metallica album on spotify (because i think that suits the earphone characteristic the best)....and after a while, i noticed the mids and soundstage opened up.

mind you i don't really believe in burning in, and i also thought that it is only psychological after trying it for some time, but i listened to the same songs that i used to test them in the morning(also A/B ing it to my other monitors), it is changing sound

I asked my friend to listen to it again this afternoon, and he was also mindblown because it sounded different (and heaps better than yesterday, he said).

lol! Actually, I am also a believer of burning in. I have encountered this many times with different types of audio equipment and I am pretty sure it wasn't just my ears trying to cope up with the new sound sig he's picking up.

On the other hand, What I don't believe in is 100+ hours of burning in. A few hours of burn in is enough to bring out the true colors of an audio equipment. For me, that is where the actual argument starts, if there is any change in sound comparing two gears one with hundreds of hours of air time over one with only a few, I can safely say there is little to none. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #14,935 of 63,834
Why not use EQ then?

I always forget that's an option!!

But mostly, I just knew someone who'd appreciate their signature more than me, and I'd started to move onto using earbuds more except where impractical (trains etc).

They were more a curiosity purchase based on the review on Audiobudget and the price, and so I'd considered them as a possible gift anyway.

They sounded awesome with Beastie Boys by the way, but I have the ATE-S for my few bassy needs.

As this has gone off topic, a brief additional KZ comment in order.

I gave quite a few presents of the coloured ZST over Christmas, they looked gorgeous in their boxes and they went down great. Not heard yet who's listened to them, but I'm hoping they'll be liked, as the carbon fibre ones sound good to me.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #14,940 of 63,834
I'm intrigued 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back