Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #14,326 of 63,796
  the zs3 cable has angled housing if i remember correctly.

Nope, at least according to pictures on KZ's tmall site, both the stock and silver cables for ZS3 have a straight housing on the plug into the earbuds.

@ricemanhk Thanks for all that info! I can tell you right now that the pin diameter on my ZS3 is much thicker than on the ZST or ED12. The cables on the ED12 and ZST are interchangeable, but the ZS3 is it's own beast. I have an early-ish ZS3 (first batch after recall) so maybe they changed the connector on more recent releases.

Anyway I should be receiving my glossy ZS3 and colorful ZSTs tomorrow so we'll know for sure then!  Can't wait...hope they live up to the hype (that I've given myself...haha)

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #14,329 of 63,796
When its not 2AM and I should be asleep, I'll post pics showing the differences between my ZST/ED12 and ZS3 cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got the silver plated ZS3 cable, it fits into the ZST but doesn't go in far enough to hold in place, it comes away from the body far too easily.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #14,331 of 63,796
I've gotten the silver cables for my zs3. It opens up the sound stage. Tones down the bass and make it tighter. The highs are slightly higher and general clarity is improved.

If u have the budget I'll definitely ask u to get it. You'll wan to throw the old cables after u upgrade

Exactly as what I suspected the cable will do ... will get the cable to test out further.

Thank you so much for confirming that ... AND help me press the buy button 
etysmile.gif

i would get the silverplated cable for ZS3 too...dun think i need to tweak the sound of the ZST,
(unless it is PURE SILVER)...LOL.

rockets gonna be launched my direction....hide.

Haha!!!  Thanks for your reply ... 

May I, with all honesty, advise you get, if you could, a. Monoprice 8320? I listen a lot to vocals, also Andrea, and there's imo no KZ that could match its clear and clean sound. I also find the zs3 to be too dark for male vocals. Besides, I still think the Monoprices top most (all?) KZs but that's my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Ruben ... will definitely look into the Monoprice.  I just gotten the HD598 Cs yesterday ... just need something that I can grab on the go and not for too much of a serious listening in.

Either way, I'll check it out AND I'm still getting the KZs ... for the price, it's a no risks jumping in. 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #14,332 of 63,796
May I, with all honesty, advise you get, if you could, a. Monoprice 8320? I listen a lot to vocals, also Andrea, and there's imo no KZ that could match its clear and clean sound. I also find the zs3 to be too dark for male vocals. Besides, I still think the Monoprices top most (all?) KZs but that's my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Ruben ... will definitely look into the Monoprice.  I just gotten the HD598 Cs yesterday ... just need something that I can grab on the go and not for too much of a serious listening in.

Either way, I'll check it out AND I'm still getting the KZs ... for the price, it's a no risks jumping in. 
happy_face1.gif

The Monoprice are definitely worthy of a buy. Watch out for the versions with the fabric cable though. Worst cable on the face of the planet, haha. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #14,334 of 63,796
   Is it normal for this item that the vocals seems like they were really far? 

It is called soundstage and ATE is very good in large soundstage (distant out of the headstage imaging).

Quote:
  I just finished writing what is the first of various KZ reviews that I'll be making over the coming months for none other than the KZ ATE. If you are interested on knowing a bit more about them, or getting a second impression feel free to give it a read: http://www.head-fi.org/products/kz-ate-in-ear-monitors/reviews/17559

Great review! 
wink.gif

This is unconfirmed if there is actually v2 or there was just QC issues which is quite common to KZ production. 
Atm, all we know is that there are just black and colorful version which should sound same and have same components.

Nevertheless, too much hype around ZST and little objectivity imo. Few respected reviewers already gave their impressions and they don`t seem to be "very special" and still have some "faults". Will they fit for person subjective taste is another story. 

You don't even have them and you're giving negative reviews about them? That doesn't seem right. I'll take the countless numbers of excellent reports on here as evidence that the ZST's are excellent performers and it's not just me who says so.

I don`t have them YET ( they are on the way) and I haven`t given negative reviews, just thinking clear and objective based on what You and others can read about them.
Don`t start flaming and accusing please and don`t take it only from You subjective perspective.

Quote:

This is unconfirmed if there is actually v2 or there was just QC issues which is quite common to KZ production. 
Atm, all we know is that there are just black and colorful version which should sound same and have same components.

Nevertheless, too much hype around ZST and little objectivity imo. Few respected reviewers already gave their impressions and they don`t seem to be "very special" and still have some "faults". Will they fit for person subjective taste is another story. 

I agree with this. It's not 100% certain if they changed anything, or if the first batch was off, or if the early reviewers simply didn't like the sound signature. If only Horton was still around...
Since B9Scrambler accurately described his black ZST the way I think about my colorful ZST, I personally assume that the current black and colorful versions should sound the same.

You don't even have them and you're giving negative reviews about them? That doesn't seem right. I'll take the countless numbers of excellent reports on here as evidence that the ZST's are excellent performers and it's not just me who says so.

I don't think CoiL was speaking bad about the ZST, and I also personally feel that the ZST is slightly overhyped right now. The faults that were mentioned aren't coming from CoiL, but from what he read in other reviews in this thread. It's also very true that whether or not the ZST is good depends on personal taste.

In saying that, a "fault" for someone might be a strength for another person. B9Scrambler listed "thin mid and upper registers" as a con in his mini-review. I personally hate high-mids (a lot of J-pop songs sound too piercing to me if the high-mids are boosted), so this actually becomes an advantage for me. If the ZST had some more low-mids and slightly less treble, it would be the perfect IEM for me, but a fellow guitarist tried them on yesterday and said that he preferred less low mids and more high mids (he owns a Shure SE425), so the electric guitars would be more present in the mix.

There isn't really any wrong or right, as sound signature is all preference-based. Because of this, if someone says IEM A >>> IEM B, it should always be taken with a grain of salt, as it does not apply to everyone. I genuinely prefer the ZST over the 12-BA UM Mason, but I can't just go around and say ZST > UM Mason.

+1

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #14,335 of 63,796
  I thought the Monoprice 8320 (now 9927 on their official website) only come with fabric cable. Is there another variant of its that I'm not aware of? 

I used to come in white with a more standard rubber cable. Maybe they discontinued that version as I don't see it on the site.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #14,339 of 63,796

Users who are viewing this thread

Back