Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #14,101 of 63,803
Wow, now i feel like getting them, thought the A2S sounded pretty decent. Able to compare them with tennmark pros?

Well, I'm a bit biased. I wasn't much of a fan of the A2S, though maybe mine isn't a shining example. I heard earlier models sounded better.

I surprisingly don't have anything from Tennmak. Could compare to the Huawei Honor AM175 and 1More C1002 though. Have another 1+1 hybrid coming in soon-ish that I'm hoping is good. Looks like the HLSX BK50 but from a different brand.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #14,103 of 63,803
My ZST Pro's from banggood shipped a few days ago.

I tried the ATR's for 3 days now. Not very impressed. I'm back to ZST and I really missed the soundstage, crisp clear detailed lows, and any semblance of highs. The ATR's are very boring. If you like a more detailed pleasant & fun sound, the ATR's are not for you.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for something that would have similar characteristics of the ZST's for around $50-$100?

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #14,105 of 63,803
Im so tempted to get the ZST's now, its on sale on gearbest for $12

http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_533515.html?wid=21

Not affiliated to gearbest by any means, just giving a heads-up

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #14,106 of 63,803
But damn, gearbest dont have the colourful version! 

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #14,107 of 63,803
So many KZ's
confused.gif

Currently which model is the top of the line in KZ?

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #14,108 of 63,803
  So many KZ's
confused.gif

ZST is bright and detailed
ATR is flat

ATR can be found for $5, ZST is $12. I'd suggest buying both as they're both seemingly the top favorites on here and depending on what you like, one may be better than the other.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #14,109 of 63,803
u need the ZS3 and ED9 ....and ATE too...  that way u will enjoy this thread alot more. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #14,110 of 63,803

This is exactly what I'm waiting for.

Gearbest shipping is so slow though... Stuff I ordered on 11/11 still hasn't got here, but stuff I got on 11/1 arrived over two weeks ago.

Probably black friday/cyber monday/thanksgiving sales messed up shipping times.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #14,113 of 63,803
  So many KZ's
confused.gif

I think each person will give you a different answer because it all depends on your listening preferences. I've bought and received a few of the KZ earphones that are most highly regarded:

KZ ATE (5th edition, the current one) - a very audiophile-tuned earphone with a neutral signature. Bass is recessed or barely noticeable with the stock tips, unless they happen to seal very well in your ear. I only realized they had a smooth but unimposing bass when I switched their earphone tips with a pair of memory foam ones. From the KZ earphones I have, these are the ones I find the most balanced in terms of features. Another impressive feature of theirs is the imaging, instrument separation and clarity. You can discern a lot of details with them. They have no significant flaws and I'd say are overall my favorite of the KZ line so far.

KZ ZS3 - the ZS3 are warmer sounding, bassier and more V-shaped than the ATE. Their imaging is very narrow and so is separation, but they are still have a clear sound with slightly recessed highs and female vocals. To me the ZS3 are the fun, but not wild, earphones of the KZ line so far. I enjoy them for music listening and videogames. If you are interested in these, have a look at the ZST which from many descriptions on this thread and other places seem to be an improved version of these but mine have yet to arrive.

KZ ED9 - I just received these yesterday so my opinions on them and their sound are still forming but I can say unequivocally the bassiest of the KZ earphones I own. They come with a nozzle that allows to change the sound noticeably and when you change from the stock nozzle to the other one that comes with them they seem to lose a bit of their bass and gain a bit more airy presentation. I didn't appreciate it immensely the first time I tried it, but I've let the ED9 burning overnight because I felt a similar type of issue with the ZS3 the first time I got them and burning them for a few hours helped alleviate the airiness I was hearing. Like the ZS3 the highs and female vocals are slightly recessed but unlike the ZS3 they are surprisingly good imaging and separation. Very close to the type of imaging the ATE provides. The only con I can point out about the ED9 is that in my ears they are somewhat uncomfortable because their back will sometimes rub against the inside of my ear and that can be discomforting. If you listen to a lot of songs with female vocals I don't think I would recommend the ED9 but otherwise they are extremely fun to listen to, consider the ZS3 if you want a fun earphone that isn't as imposing as the ED9's bass.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #14,114 of 63,803

The colourful ZST were quite cheap on Aliexpress a few days ago, I managed to snag them for 13.16 euros. Not as low as Gearbest I know... but still a significant discount from their current price.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #14,115 of 63,803
So... I let my ED9 burn over night with the iMore app once again for around 8 hours and that seems to have eliminated most of the airiness I felt when I used the ED9's alternative tuning nozzle. Now, with the alternative nozzle, they sound to my ears like a ZS3 with slightly wider soundstage, but I have the feeling that some of the highs are slightly more recessed than the ZS3's but I'd need to do more AB testing to confirm that.

The lows on the other hand seem somewhat muffled. I'm not sure how to describe it... I'm listening to a track with a nice drum in the background and piano with accompanying female vocalist. The piano's keys feel lively and very present. The female vocals, though very light, are somewhat recessed, more so than on the other KZ I own and the drums are there but seem to have lost all of their weight. But if I add the stock nozzle, the drums gain a new weight to them and each hit feels like a sprinkling of bass washes over the song, the vocalist's voice becomes more present and the piano retains its presence and articulation, it just sounds overall significantly better.

This is the track I'm listening to if you want to compare with your own earphones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbMvYk4LILo

Is there any good reason to use the alternative tuning nozzle with the ED9? I haven't heard a single track yet that makes me go "oh yeah I should totally switch nozzles when I listen to this".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back