Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 6, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #14,071 of 63,803
eh? from what i observed, seems like the reason that people find ate-s bassier is because it's using the same housing as 3rd gen ate which doesn't have vent hole. i haven't tried ate-s myself, so I'm not that sure

True, that can be the case also, that`s why I noted out that I haven`t heard(seen) them myself to confirm one or another.
Anyway, that`s why I recommend rather 2nd gen or 5th gen ATE (non-S) version.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #14,072 of 63,803
  I think it's:

ATR: Newest on the AT line.  Quite inexpensive but most prefer it for a more balanced sound over the ATE/ATES
ATES: ATE with memory wire

Still waiting on my Piston Youth editions.  I do have the Piston 3, Piston Basic, and Piston Colorfuls.  All are a bit less bassy than the ATR.

In terms of bass: ATR>Piston3>Piston Basic>Piston Colorful.

To be honest though, all are pretty good IEMs, especially for the price($5-$10 lmao, buy a truckload and never worry about breaking them again).

In terms of fit and finish, I like the colorful the best.  Nice flat cable, thick rubber strain reliefs, super lightweight.  Fit is great.

Soundwise I like the ATR.  Bass is a lot punchier and fuller, and the highs aren't as fatiguing on the ears.  Cable is a bit springy and tangle prone, and the fit is not as good nor as easy to insert as the Piston lineup.

I think the Piston 3 would be the best compromise between all of the IEMs I have, but sadly they're discontinued and also were a bit more expensive than the ATR and Colorful and Basic.

Alright, looks like an ATR + Piston 3 would be best for me. Could you do a review on the Youth ones when you get them? Thanks!

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #14,073 of 63,803
ZS3 with starline tips - Slightly Soft and a wee bit more in quantity (compared to ZST's tighter albeit less quantity bass)

Kinda agree with the measurements posted on ZST few pages back, that's how I hear mids on mine (somewhat scooped out).

#YMMV

Ok......my bad I didnt phrase my que interms of quality. I like the quality of bass zs3 has despite its V'ish with more than enough quantity to my preference.This qualityof bass is hard to find for its price tag(overall) along with its nice balance of mids and highs. Wanted to know how the zst handles bass with BA and so whether or not its worth trying zst.

Btw,Im on some wide bore M tips now and my starline tips are still in transit.I havent spent much of time with it yet (like ATR), so it may change with mids bit forward over time. Retaining its bass.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #14,074 of 63,803
KZ ED9 question, just received them but very sensitive for use with polyester sweaters! I hear electric spikes thru the left in ear speaker! I can image if the in ears are from aluminum housing and cable of 'bad conducting' material and rubbing against polyester sweater gives interference through the speaker.
Never had this issue before with for example ZS3

Is this a common issue with the ED9 static issues with polyester cloths? Not when you sit down but while walking.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #14,075 of 63,803
Just got my foam tips (T400, medium) from here (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32477744702/32477744702.html) just 10 days after ordering to Germany. That's definitely a new record shipping time. Normally things take 6-7 weeks to arrive.

Anyways, these tips go really well with my ZS3. They finally sit comfortably in my ears so I can barely notice them, and they provide an excellent seal, and that's what makes the ZS3 shine.

So, I would really recommend anyone getting the ZS3 to get these foam tips as well. Save yourself the hassle getting a good seal with the stock eartips.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #14,077 of 63,803
I need help selecting a replacement ZST cable. Love the earphones but hate the rubbery cable. Looking for one that doesn't tangle so easily and doesn't cost twice as much as the phones did.
Thanks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32742751243/32742751243.html

Not only might these solve your issue but a few headfiers claim they noticeably improve the sound quality.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #14,079 of 63,803
Just got my foam tips (T400, medium) from here (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32477744702/32477744702.html) just 10 days after ordering to Germany. That's definitely a new record shipping time. Normally things take 6-7 weeks to arrive.

Anyways, these tips go really well with my ZS3. They finally sit comfortably in my ears so I can barely notice them, and they provide an excellent seal, and that's what makes the ZS3 shine.

So, I would really recommend anyone getting the ZS3 to get these foam tips as well. Save yourself the hassle getting a good seal with the stock eartips.

Is really T400 the exact size for ZS3 ?

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #14,081 of 63,803
I burned in my ZS3 for about 14 hours, then tested them in real world usage aka at the gym, well yes following the recommendations I snapped in the memory cable right at the beginning for a better fit and it worked!
Though still not as perfect as the ATES.
It's definitely bassier than the ATES but now with the burn-in it's much less muddy letting the mids and high more present and detailed.
The thing is that on an HTC 10 with Dolby amp enabled you can't past the 7th volume step over 10 unless you want to damage your ear or if you are already half deaf because volume and bass become waaaaaay too loud.
Now I still have to find a way to make the mic button as usable as the one on the ATES, I will upgrade my Leedroid custom rom today from marshmallow to Nougat

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #14,083 of 63,803
I recently received 4 pairs of (supposedly T400-sized) earphone tips with memory foam from this vendor. To my surprise, they fit and stay on the ZS3 quite well, even though the ZS3's tip is noticeably thinner than the KZ ATE.

Regarding sound improvements/differences, they made a noticeable difference on both the ZS3 and the ATE but on the ATE the difference was greater.

The ZS3 seems to have become... cleaner. I was expecting its bass to become more pronounced as it already bled a bit into the mids with the stock tips but to my surprise it appears to have a lost a bit of it's bloat and as a general result the overall presentation is cleaner. It isn't a day-and-night difference but it is sufficient enough to be appreciable.

The KZ ATE with the new ear-tips though were very surprising. They already were a pair of IEMs I appreciated immensely, with their more neutral sound signature, but jumping to that straight from a session of listening with the ZS3 emphasized their, by comparison, colder presentation and a bass that seemed much less impacting, or even noticeable, in some cases. When I placed them on my ears just before falling asleep and hit play my eyes shot wide open when I was greeted by a nice "thump" in the bass that previously wasn't there. While they still maintain their relatively neutral signature, they now have a bit of bass that helps make everything just slightly nicer to listen to. When you add that to their impressive (for the price) imaging and detail you get a package that I can't honestly find any major faults with.

I'm still waiting for the ZST, and although I use and appreciate the ZS3 (I'm wearing them as I type this), the KZ ATE's quality and my appreciation for them went up a significant notch yesterday. If the ZST are even better than the ATE, as some have reported, that makes me even more excited.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #14,084 of 63,803

Ah ok, because I thought that the right size was T200.

I was also under the impression that T400 would be too wide for the ZS3, but the, supposedly, T400-sized ear-tips I got fit it perfectly and don't come off without significant effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back