Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 6, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #14,057 of 63,834
A question to owners who have both zs3 & zst, hows the bass in comparison among these?.......
Is one on par with other or is it different or same or edgy? A simple version is more than suffice. TIA.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #14,058 of 63,834

I feel like that's an ok representation of my ZST's, but the highs extend far beyond that cut at 14/15khz. Maybe slight difference in tuning.

Why did You change Your answer? I read that You found Your impressions of ATR pretty semilar to that graph
rolleyes.gif

This is ZST measurement? 

About ATE... I recommend You to try 5th gen ATE because their soundstage is bigger and more open sounding than ATR but they have slightly smoother highs and laid-back bass and more distant imaging and better mids. Maybe it isn`t your prefferred signature but recommend to try them out.

Ah yes, that was the ZST's measurement. Here's the ZST (yellow) vs the ED10 (green). The ED10 sounds very unnatural to my ears, and I really don't like that 6khz peak. 

Is the current ATE 5th gen? I'll consider getting one, most likely depending on what I think about the ATR when I receive it.

Same here, I really don`t like peaks around 6.2-7.2 kHz.
Seems that current ATE (non-S) is 5th gen but not 100% sure though, ATE has had many iterations and I`ve counted at least 5 with this new one.
I got my 5th gen ATE from GB: http://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_216373.html

Interesting measurements on ZST, probably not my cup of tea, this graph pretty much confirms the initial impressions of a lot of people so I doubt the mixed opinions are from bad QC but from different personal preferences.

+1 Thinking same things
rolleyes.gif

It's a fact. There is zero scientific evidence that burning in does anything. Anyone who thinks otherwise I add to my "maybe not so great at audio" list.

Zero scientific evidence doesn't make something a fact. I'm confident that the study of burn in its not a big grant generator for research funding, so there's probably been minimal effort from the scientific community to prove or disprove burn in. It is difficult IMO to measure the tiny nuances that the human brain can discern when perceiving the outside world and frequency response graphs only tell a small part of the story.

I've listened to a pair of new vivo xe800 that were noticeably different to an older pair. Now after they have been well used like the other pair, I couldn't tell then apart. Am I "not very good at audio" then?

Perception is very subjective so I would suggest not being too dismissive of other's opinions as they are as valid to that individual as your opinions are to you.

+1 
I`ve experienced "burn-in effect" same way You did new vs. old pair and not only - I`ve gotten same IEMs at same time, let one play for some time (without listening) and then compared them and found noticeable differences, blindly with A/B switch. 
Though, with some IEM`s I have not experienced any burn-in. To me it is very dependent on certain IEM and most of time differences before & after are quite unnoticeable.

Hey Modders, how did you open the shell of the ATR (or ATE)? 

Take a look at thread pic gallery - You`ll find pics how to open them, it`s easy :wink:

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #14,059 of 63,834
Hey, I was reading this thread for a while and just made an account to make a post. I stopped reading about the time that everyone was getting the ED8 and ATE and I'd like to get a recommendation with all the new KZ gear. I want to get 2 IEMs - one for running and one for general use. I already have an Awei A920BL which is apparently considered a basshead IEM and I really enjoy it, but I'd like to get some wired IEMs. What would be better or most similar to the A920BL, the ATE or ZST (or maybe a different KZ model, I haven't been keeping track)? Also for general use are the Xiaomi Piston 3s (youth version in this case) still good?

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #14,061 of 63,834
A question to owners who have both zs3 & zst, hows the bass in comparison among these?.......
Is one on par with other or is it different or same or edgy? A simple version is more than suffice. TIA.

ZS3 with starline tips - Slightly Soft and a wee bit more in quantity (compared to ZST's tighter albeit less quantity bass)

Kinda agree with the measurements posted on ZST few pages back, that's how I hear mids on mine (somewhat scooped out).

#YMMV

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #14,063 of 63,834
@dudinacas Welcome to Head-Fi, Prepare to be sucked in and tempted by all of us! 

A side note, but you might want to visit the other chinese IEM threads for more earphones with amazing value and sound!

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #14,065 of 63,834

Wow, $6.33 NZD? Nice, I might have to pick one of these up.
Sidenote, what's the difference between the ATE/ATR/ATES?

I think it's:

ATR: Newest on the AT line.  Quite inexpensive but most prefer it for a more balanced sound over the ATE/ATES
ATES: ATE with memory wire

Still waiting on my Piston Youth editions.  I do have the Piston 3, Piston Basic, and Piston Colorfuls.  All are a bit less bassy than the ATR.

In terms of bass: ATR>Piston3>Piston Basic>Piston Colorful.

To be honest though, all are pretty good IEMs, especially for the price($5-$10 lmao, buy a truckload and never worry about breaking them again).

In terms of fit and finish, I like the colorful the best.  Nice flat cable, thick rubber strain reliefs, super lightweight.  Fit is great.

Soundwise I like the ATR.  Bass is a lot punchier and fuller, and the highs aren't as fatiguing on the ears.  Cable is a bit springy and tangle prone, and the fit is not as good nor as easy to insert as the Piston lineup.

I think the Piston 3 would be the best compromise between all of the IEMs I have, but sadly they're discontinued and also were a bit more expensive than the ATR and Colorful and Basic.

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #14,068 of 63,834

ZS3 with starline tips - Slightly Soft and a wee bit more in quantity (compared to ZST's tighter albeit less quantity bass)

Kinda agree with the measurements posted on ZST few pages back, that's how I hear mids on mine (somewhat scooped out).

Thanks for that. So, You like ZST less about mids than ATE? Overall SQ You like ZST best out of KZ?

ATES: ATE with memory wire

Not just that, S version should be bassier by many reports. Though, it`s the only ATE version I haven`t tried and can`t comment myself.

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #14,069 of 63,834
eh? from what i observed, seems like the reason that people find ate-s bassier is because it's using the same housing as 3rd gen ate which doesn't have vent hole. i haven't tried ate-s myself, so I'm not that sure

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #14,070 of 63,834
  Thanks for that. So, You like ZST less about mids than ATE? Overall SQ You like ZST best out of KZ?

Nope.

ZS3 still tops for me (very closely followed by ATR) in terms of SQ and Fit for my tastes/gears.

My concern with ZST's graininess in treble (plus recessed mids) still persists and the only thing that I somewhat like about them is their tight bass. There is something wrong with my ZST's overall sound presentation that makes me feel an overall muddiness in their output which I am not able to get rid of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back