Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 3, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #13,981 of 63,796
I just got the ATR's in the mail and have been listening for around 2 hours.

There's a reason these are only $4 on GearBest. They are not fantastic. They sound only a little brighter than the ED12's.

While they are better than the ATE's, there is nothing interesting about this sound. It's not fun, it's not bright, vocals are buried, mids are too high and everything else is recessed. Other than the mids being high, it's a very flat and boring sound. They remind me of my SHE3590's.

Soundstage is a not even a close competitor to that of the ZST's, though it's slightly wider than the SHE3590's.

They do perform slightly better on EDM. I find EDM has a lot of nasty harsh highs and these don't have that high extension.

ATE's and ATR are both not something to write home about, but for $4 you won't beat the quality or sound. With the starline tips they really aren't that bad and they're decently comfortable.

Xu407Bq.jpg

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #13,982 of 63,796
  I wouldn`t call 2nd gen bass "uneven" like You said (and I didn`t say it like that) - 2nd gen ATE bass in stock is just a tad uncontrolled or sometimes even slightly "boomy" sounding but not in regular way due it sounds more like "laid back/distant". 

Now, what interests me is when did You buy Your ATE and what package it did come with? 
I`m asking because I got my new ATE from gearbest (non-S version).

The old 2nd gen ATE had also same driver color, same port holes, same weights but came with silver/gold cable "reliefs" and in "shield" looking plastic case and had following code on shells: RQ: 016N8M.

The new 5th gen ATE I got today from gearbest came with same carton+thin plastic cover box like ATR comes with and has following code on shells: RQ: 018NBM.
It is with golden metal weights, red driver shells, black/golden cable "reliefs" with color markings, port holes on lower nozzle necks).

Also cable seems less springy and rubbery than old one and shell are slightly more see-through.
And right OOTB the soundstage is noticeably more open and "surround" like with slightly more distant/out of the headstage imaging than ATR. Difference is not big though. Seems I got myself 5th (?) gen ATE ?
Anyway, seems they have "re-tuned" them slightly again and it sounds much closer to my 2nd gen ATE FF-mod than old stock 2nd gen ATE - which is great news for me! I really like how it sounds (with starline tips, haven`t tried other tips yet)!
From what You said about Your ATE, it seems to me that You also have the newer version than my old 2nd gen ATE (which I bought right after translucent ATE first appeared).
Since I`m quite a junkie for large/open soundstage - I think I like them even more than stock ATR. Yes, they are not so "in your face" with details but pretty similar detail (if not same good) with just little different soundstage presentation and imaging.
Now, if someone wishes a tad more openness and larger soundstage, with slightly more distant/out of the headstage presentation than ATR - then new ATE is highly recommended by me, though, my impressions come just with brief OOTB listening.
I think I will try to make full-wood custom shells "hybrid" dual dynamic modification from ATR+ATE drivers soon (no idea about sound outcome and maybe needs some crossover testing). 
And just a little dig from the past about earlier iterations of ATE:
Seems like this newer 5th gen ATE has "returned" to mix of 2nd & 3rd gen - 2nd gen red shells drivers + 3rd gen black/gold metal reliefs. 

I apologize for the belated response. I checked the code on my ATE's shells and it is indeed the same as yours. I also appreciate the signature quite a lot, they do sound spacious and can resolve a surprising amount of details in my opinion.

On another note regarding the ZST and those waiting for it to ship from Gearbest: mine shipped today after nearly a couple of weeks wait. With some ridiculous amount of luck I may yet receive them before Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath. My colorful ZST though seem like they could arrive next week.

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #13,983 of 63,796
I like the ATRs.

But if you say the ZST is that much better, I think I'm going to have to end up picking yet another KZ IEM.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #13,984 of 63,796

There's a reason these are only $4 on GearBest. They are not fantastic. They sound only a little brighter than the ED12's.

While they are better than the ATE's, there is nothing interesting about this sound. It's not fun, it's not bright, vocals are buried, mids are too high and everything else is recessed. Other than the mids being high, it's a very flat and boring sound. They remind me of my SHE3590's.

Soundstage is a not even a close competitor to that of the ZST's, though it's slightly wider than the SHE3590's.

They do perform slightly better on EDM. I find EDM has a lot of nasty harsh highs and these don't have that high extension.

ATE's and ATR are both not something to write home about, but for $4 you won't beat the quality or sound. With the starline tips they really aren't that bad and they're decently comfortable.

Xu407Bq.jpg

I had kind of the same first impression with the ATR when I first got them. But after a few days/weeks of burn-in, i just let music played for a while. So after a few weeks, I tried them again, this time, with Comply tips, Fiio Q1, and turn the volume up. They are soooo good. Silky smooth highs. 

I say, dont give up on them yet. Try tip rolling and try them on different sources, and burn them in well.

I really like ZSTz, probably i was one of the first to start having a positive impression of them, over a hundred pages ago. I think you will also like the ATR given the right set up.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #13,986 of 63,796

Xu407Bq.jpg

I found out atr and ate very tip sensitive. I've tried many tips. And still haven't got the sound quality what i've hope for. Comply tips was by far athe best on my ear. Still this iem with this price impress me.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #13,987 of 63,796

I say go for it. I found the ZSTs to be better than the ATRs straight from my phone (S7 edge & Note7), but with proper amplification, they are equally super duper good.

After seeing the picture of the colorful ZST pro + silver cable, I don't think I can pass it up.  Just waiting to see if any sort of sale pops up.  Or maybe if Gearbest gets them in at a ridiculously cheap price like they've done with a bunch of KZ IEMs.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #13,988 of 63,796

While they are better than the ATE's, there is nothing interesting about this sound. It's not fun, it's not bright, vocals are buried, mids are too high and everything else is recessed. Other than the mids being high, it's a very flat and boring sound.

Aren`t You being too subjective and harsh with YOUR opinion? 
rolleyes.gif
 It almost sounds like You want to bash them down and make everybody hate ATR.
Maybe it`s about Your gear matchup, personal subjective taste and hearing, music genre preference etc. but...
* I do not find them "nothing interesting about this sound".
* I do not find them "not fun"
* I do NOT find the "vocals buried" !
* Mids too high and everything else buried? I do not agree. They are very well balanced with slight V-shaped signature.
* They sound neutral-sided but not "very flat" and boring.

To me it seems like You are more into V-shaped "mids poor" signature (it`s not bad and it`s personal preference). 

Just, seems like You have taken offensive attacking way towards me and some others saying they are very good
rolleyes.gif

Let them "settle in"(or Your brain/hearing) and try different gains and amping, different tips and music with them before bashing them down like this and come back with OBJECTIVE impressions about them with mentioning all the gear and music You`ve tested them with.

Originally Posted by Euljiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had kind of the same first impression with the ATR when I first got them. But after a few days/weeks of burn-in, i just let music played for a while. So after a few weeks, I tried them again, this time, with Comply tips, Fiio Q1, and turn the volume up. They are soooo good. Silky smooth highs. 

I say, dont give up on them yet. Try tip rolling and try them on different sources, and burn them in well.

I really like ZSTz, probably i was one of the first to start having a positive impression of them, over a hundred pages ago. I think you will also like the ATR given the right set up.

+1
  I like the ATRs.

But if you say the ZST is that much better, I think I'm going to have to end up picking yet another KZ IEM.

Probably me too. Want to see/hear about this "hype-train". In the end "you`ve gotta try it to judge it!"
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #13,989 of 63,796
Aren`t You being too subjective and harsh with YOUR opinion? :rolleyes:  It almost sounds like You want to bash them down and make everybody hate ATR.
Maybe it`s about Your gear matchup, personal subjective taste and hearing, music genre preference etc. but...
* I do not find them "nothing interesting about this sound".
* I do not find them "not fun"
* I do NOT find the "vocals buried" !
* Mids too high and everything else buried? I do not agree. They are very well balanced with slight V-shaped signature.
* They sound neutral-sided but not "very flat" and boring.

To me it seems like You are more into V-shaped "mids poor" signature (it`s not bad and it`s personal preference). 

Just, seems like You have taken offensive attacking way towards me and some others saying they are very good:rolleyes:
Let them "settle in"(or Your brain/hearing) and try different gains and amping, different tips and music with them before bashing them down like this and come back with OBJECTIVE impressions about them with mentioning all the gear and music You`ve tested them with.

+1
Probably me too. Want to see/hear about this "hype-train". In the end "you`ve gotta try it to judge it!":wink:

I'm not targeting anyone and I do not know who you are. I'm sorry if I offended you, those are just my personal opinions of the ATR's. I am also not into pseudoscience.

At the low price of all of these IEM's I suggest buying the top picks from your cheapest source and trying them all for yourself. They all have their own sound signatures and some may like different ones than I do.

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #13,990 of 63,796

Xu407Bq.jpg

Though I agree about them being "flat", I think that's why they are so good for the price!

Usually cheaper IEM's have more of v-shaped sound signature. To find something for 4$ that has a somewhat balanced sound is remarkable. I find the Philips you mentioned WAY worse. They have a brighter, harsher sound, with almost no soundstage (compared to the ATR's).

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #13,991 of 63,796
  To find something for 4$ that has a somewhat balanced sound is remarkable. I find the Philips you mentioned WAY worse. They have a brighter, harsher sound, with almost no soundstage (compared to the ATR's).

+1. Also got a chance to listen those philips and no comparison with ATR to me, latter are better almost in every aspect.
Heck, for me they sound even better than **** 4in1 because they have better mids and slightly better soundstage. This is personal subjective taste though.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #13,993 of 63,796
I can say that ATE are very good but ZST are excellent, I have been saying it for over a month and was a bit irritated with some critical and even harsh words about them back then (I accept critical reviews but not wanton bashing).

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #13,994 of 63,796
Spending about 6 hours listening to the ATR's now, the bass is very heavy, muddy, and overpowered. On certain songs with bassy kick drums, I can feel muscles in the back of my throat tensing up at something I would consider a very comfortable listening level. Highs lack detail and brightness. They don't sound bad, but they sound like a compromise. They're better than the ED12's and ATE's for sure.

In Order:
ZST (No Competition)
ATR
ATE
SHE3590
ED12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back