Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 28, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #10,906 of 63,806

The ATE's are great too, there's definitely more quantity of bass than the ED9's, however are somewhat less bright. Still sound exceptionally good for the price. I think I like them more than my RHA T10i's, another bass oriented headphone (that also cost $250 AUD), however these have less soundstage. I couldn't get any of the included tips to seal properly, again with T400 ripoffs seal is essentially perfect.

Including aliexpress link to the comply-like foamies, actually prefer these for both isolation and comfort and they cost about 1/15th the cost of actual comply tips if bought locally (Australia).

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/C-set-4-9mm-Caliber-Earphone-Sponge-Comply-T200-T400-T500-tips-Headset-Memory-Foam-Sponge/32469980958.html

Just got my KZ ATE. Was thinking either Auglamour R8 or ATH IM50, but laid my eyes on this deal, and for $12, too good to pass LOL
First impression, much warmer than my ATH-SJ33, but surprisingly, not that muddy. Kind of muffled, though, the trebble really soft and lack of air. But nothing grating or shrilly, really polite. This is minute out of box, using Sansa Clip (1st gen) which categorize as dark, mind you. We'll see later when I got home and spent more times with it.

I don`t know exactly what version ATE You have but... imho... ATE (non-S version) is less bassy than ED9 with gold filters (V-shaped sound signature) and has actually littlebit better soundstage and imaging...but... to acheve this ATE has to be used with widest bore, short-neck silicone tips possible (bore edge even with nozzle edge) and deep insertion!
Here are some pics with this kind of tips: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726229/the-tip-rolling-iem-modification-thread/15#post_11787305
Still not enough? -> do some hardcore modding and make them ported-open-back and half-close breathing hole on body.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #10,907 of 63,806
  Let's stop talking about burn-in in subjective terms...

And lets stop posting subjective "hard-brick-wall" opinion about it... seriously, it causes only trouble. If You want to "prove" something and argue about it, go to the proper thread - this is NOT this thread and ppl are allowed to post their subjective experience and opinion. 

My last 2c about this subject. I hope You won`t post about this subject here anymore, no hard feelings, just not needed.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #10,908 of 63,806
Can I buy those kind of tips? Or is this some kind of custom tips?

The mids are not as muffled as before, either because I'm used to it or the driver just loosened up. I don't have ED9, only ATH-SJ33 (lots of fun bass, airy mid and extended sometime piercing treble) and Senn HD600 (reference but somewhat thin bass).

My ATE are the new stock, with no vent.

Quote:
  I don`t know exactly what version ATE You have but... imho... ATE (non-S version) is less bassy than ED9 with gold filters (V-shaped sound signature) and has actually littlebit better soundstage and imaging...but... to acheve this ATE has to be used with widest bore, short-neck silicone tips possible (bore edge even with nozzle edge) and deep insertion!
Here are some pics with this kind of tips: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726229/the-tip-rolling-iem-modification-thread/15#post_11787305
Still not enough? -> do some hardcore modding and make them ported-open-back and half-close breathing hole on body.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #10,909 of 63,806
Blue ones that sit totally over nozzle are KZ whirlwinds and You can get them from aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/exclusive-whirlwind-silicon-eartips-ear-sleeve-ear-pad-ear-tip-earphone-accessory-6-pack/32482924204.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.28.rTmTYs&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_4_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_10009_10020_10008_10018_10019,searchweb201603_7&btsid=bd3580ec-d610-4307-be98-3eff49fe46fa
Grey ones are stock ED9 tips with just piece of foam under skirt but they aren`t on level with nozzle tip-edge and have narrower bore (increased bass). There are other great silicone tips also with wide bore for ATE but that`s subject of another thread.

My ATE are the new stock, with no vent.

So, You have ATE-S version? Really? No breathing holes on body near the lower nozzle neck?

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #10,910 of 63,806
  Let's stop talking about burn-in in subjective terms, it has been disproved countless times with a new (barely a few centuries old) and marvelous thing called SCIENCE.
The mind is an amazing thing, it can make a 10 gauge 2 inch long speaker wire sound "better" than the old 14 gauge...
rolleyes.gif

The mind takes time to get familiar with the new sound source, that is all burn-in is and will ever be.
Nothing electronically or mechanically changes, not one iota.

As I stated before, you start with a decent sounding headphones/speakers and get used to them till they sound better and become your reference (your minds reference).

Youre completely right but subjectivism>objectivism in all but the sound science threads. I find it annoying people comment on pre and post burn in, because any earphone that might be bad (too much bass and shrill treble) gets much better after burn in so other people buy it too, although in reality nothing happens.

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #10,911 of 63,806
Thanks for the links (this and the earlier tips rolling thread), very useful.
From my discussion with other ATE user by pms, mine is the ordinary ATE, because mine didn't have the memory wires. The packaging and labels also said KZ ATE (with no S)

But what make it confusing is, mine didn't had any vent on the body (I looked, because the person I talked to said the older vented version had better vocals and airier)
Oh yeah, the RQ number is 018N8M (the vented one is said numbered as 016N8M)

Quote:
  Blue ones that sit totally over nozzle are KZ whirlwinds and You can get them from aliexpress.
Grey ones are stock ED9 tips with just piece of foam under skirt but they aren`t on level with nozzle tip-edge and have narrower bore (increased bass). There are other great silicone tips also with wide bore for ATE but that`s subject of another thread.
So, You have ATE-S version? Really? No breathing holes on body near the lower nozzle neck?

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #10,912 of 63,806

But what make it confusing is, mine didn't had any vent on the body (I looked, because the person I talked to said the older vented version had better vocals and airier)
Oh yeah, the RQ number is 018N8M (the vented one is said numbered as 016N8M)

Very useful information! 
So, in the end we have 4 different ATE versions?
1. Silver ATE
2. Translucent black ATE with breathing holes on the body (early version)
3. Translucent black ATE without breathing holes on the body (later version)
4. ATE-S translucent black with memory wires (breathing holes or not?)

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #10,913 of 63,806
I think it's more like this:
1. older vented ATE (with breathing holes) - both silver and translucent black <- the one reviewed some pages back. You can see the vent hole on his pictures.
2. newer non vented ATE (without breathing holes) - both silver and translucent black <- like mine.
3. non vented ATE-S (without breathing holes) with memory wires - translucent black (not sure if there are silver version) <- also had RQ number 018N8M

Some of the local vendors had pictures which show non vented (without breathing hole) shell but with RQ number 016N8M (which supposedly for older vented version). All local vendors I asked had newer, non vented version with RQ: 018N8M only. Sigh.
mad.gif

Quote:
  Very useful information! 
So, in the end we have 4 different ATE versions?
1. Silver ATE
2. Translucent black ATE with breathing holes on the body (early version)
3. Translucent black ATE without breathing holes on the body (later version)
4. ATE-S translucent black with memory wires (breathing holes or not?)

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #10,914 of 63,806
  And lets stop posting subjective "hard-brick-wall" opinion about it... seriously, it causes only trouble. If You want to "prove" something and argue about it, go to the proper thread - this is NOT this thread and ppl are allowed to post their subjective experience and opinion. 

My last 2c about this subject. I hope You won`t post about this subject here anymore, no hard feelings, just not needed.

Yes, James is one hard headed dude and of course he is welcome to his opinion as we all have one like we all have something else
wink_face.gif
Thought he understood when CAD called him out already and he deleted only to come back a few post later! 

James, we all have it in our DB's that you don't believe in burn-in so you should just ovoid entering into the subject regardless of your personal feelings science based or not, drivers are not mechanical to you but they do move and flex and therefore have the ability to change over time. People replace drivers and parts because they do wear out right? What I'm getting at is it is OK to have your opinion just don't use it to engage negatively with others who feel differently
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm thrilled you are enjoying your new black ED9's right out the box too
biggrin.gif

OK, my $0.02 and meter time is up
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #10,915 of 63,806
I have the older model then. RQ016N8M. Ports are there.
Edit: @jipan I bought them 2 months ago from hck. Try asking them if they have the older version in stock.

I was kinda adamant to accept this, but it's been haunting me since the day I received the ate. When I first heard them they were quite smooth, but the soundstage was huge and I could pick out details in my songs that I had never heard before. The vocals were clean and very clear, very lifelike. Put them on burn in with white/pink noise. And then they became more 'trebly' and the huge soundstage became a tad bit smaller but the unique details were all gone. And they haven't come back since.
The experience I had that day, I cannot forget....I am sure it wasn't a dream.....

Sometimes I wonder if burn in has something to do with the bass port....and the bass port with earwax, since a lot of earphones have the port built in the nozzle. *shrug*

Anyway, like I mentioned in the chinese iem thread, my edr2 have become a bit imbalanced. But luckily the difference is not much and can be countered by rolling tips........oh gawd.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #10,916 of 63,806
Seems like you're more sensitive to treble than me. Maybe you will better of with the newer, non vented ATE, this version treble is really smooth and soft.
I'm quite happy with mine though, it just that knowing that there are version which fit my taste a little better keep gnawing at me lol

Quote:
Edit: @jipan I bought them 2 months ago from hck. Try asking them if they have the older version in stock.

I was kinda adamant to accept this, but it's been haunting me since the day I received the ate. When I first heard them they were quite smooth, but the soundstage was huge and I could pick out details in my songs that I had never heard before. The vocals were clean and very clear, very lifelike. Put them on burn in with white/pink noise. And then they became more 'trebly' and the huge soundstage became a tad bit smaller but the unique details were all gone. And they haven't come back since.
The experience I had that day, I cannot forget....I am sure it wasn't a dream.....

Sometimes I wonder if burn in has something to do with the bass port....and the bass port with earwax, since a lot of earphones have the port built in the nozzle. *shrug*

Anyway, like I mentioned in the chinese iem thread, my edr2 have become a bit imbalanced. But luckily the difference is not much and can be countered by rolling tips........oh gawd.

Can anyone point me to KZ IEM's with the best separation, positioning and sound-stage (or head-stage, if you like this terms better)? Not to bright though, I'm kinda sensitive to treble.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #10,917 of 63,806
Can anyone point me to KZ IEM's with the best separation, positioning and sound-stage (or head-stage, if you like this terms better)? Not to bright though, I'm kinda sensitive to treble.

ZN1 Mini to the rescue. They do a good job of everything you mentioned and have pretty mellow, yet still fairly detailed treble. Plus they eq really well if you somehow find them bright.

DT5 might also be a good choice. They're surprisingly competent, not even the slightest bit bright, but very bassy. ZS1-like actually.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #10,918 of 63,806
Awesome. Now let see if local vendors import them. Thank you sir, for the help. Hope those will satisfy my sound-stage and separation cravings
beerchug.gif

I think separation is where ATE rather weak, but the male voice is to die for. Female voice are good, if not as good as male voice. Really love the 5k dips, smoothing all those painful female records. But then, this is $12 IEM's, so I'm not going to complain
etysmile.gif

Quote:
ZN1 Mini to the rescue. They do a good job of everything you mentioned and have pretty mellow, yet still fairly detailed treble. Plus they eq really well if you somehow find them bright.

DT5 might also be a good choice. They're surpringly competent, not even the slightest bit bright, but very bassy. ZS1-like actually.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #10,919 of 63,806

Hi. It happened to me as well. My ATEs are RQ: 016N8M, vented ones. Out of the box I instantly wanted to buy a replacement, in case someday they would break. That good they sounded. I could hear new things on recordings I knew from memory for the past several years. However, after several hours use, they lost their magic. Not special anymore. I share your pain. Rest in peace my ATE's insanely great out of the box sound. 
confused_face.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #10,920 of 63,806

Hi. It happened to me as well. My ATEs are RQ: 016N8M, vented ones. Out of the box I instantly wanted to buy a replacement, in case someday they would break. That good they sounded. I could hear new things on recordings I knew from memory for the past several years. However, after several hours use, they lost their magic. Not special anymore. I share your pain. Rest in peace my ATE's insanely great out of the box sound. 

Guys, aren`t Your problem related to nozzle mesh grills getting jammed with earwax or dust? If You dare, remove them. Been using my ATE long time without grills and no issues with wax/dust getting into (I clean my ears regularly and keep IEM`s in case). But yeh, my ATE FF-mod has totally different nozzles anyway. Maybe this issue can be somehow from driver flex?
I remember some days when I pushed ATE into ear and sound got little "dull" but after re-inserting it went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back