Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 27, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #6,046 of 63,834
With the Fidue A73, is there any of the ED9/ED10/ATE that they resemble/scale from in SQ/tonality or are they totally different to the new KZ line-up ?
Interesting hybrid at a decent price.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #6,048 of 63,834
ANV just became superb with a chunk of foam stuffed in the tip!

I used foam from the KZ box, cut out small squares and fitted as much as I could into the tips, now the tonal balance resembles that of Dunu Titan 1. It lacks the bit of sub-bass rumble that Titan 1 carries, but shares similar effortlessness of large dynamic driver iems, plus both has well extended high end response.

These just topped KZ ATEs in terms of general preference.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6,049 of 63,834
what was the reason for stuffing in the foam?
It lacks the bit of sub-bass rumble

Main fault of ANV, imho. Otherwise very good IEM.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #6,050 of 63,834
Aug 28, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #6,052 of 63,834
Ordered Kz ED10 and Ate on the 25th after reading most of this thread. ENABLERS... LOL

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Great. I hope you like these.

It helps that they're pretty likeable.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #6,054 of 63,834
Ok. Just got my ED10. I`ll make it shortly...

OOTB (with smallest black tips), ED10 are very good and definitely in top 3 of KZ latest IEM`s. Imo, by SQ, best after modified ATE, followed by ED9(brass) and ANV.

Now, this will be littlebit unfair since I have modified ATE but I`m going to be objective as I can.

ED10 vs. modded(m) ATE-b(translucent black):

* ED10 has littlebit more sub-bass
* ED10 has littlebit V-shaped sound signature
* mATE-b has littlebit better mids and thus more natural vocals and more dynamic sound
* ED10 soundstage is very good and I would say on par with mATE-b but latter has littlebit better separation and transparency (result of modification)
* mATE-b has littlebit better microdetails through FR including highs (result of modification). Maybe except sub-bass because ED10 has more quantity on it.
* mATE-b has littlebit better balanced/neutral and natural sound signature
* ED10 has noticeably better isolation from outside noise
* ED10 requires less vol (ED10 @ 188 vs. mATE-b @ 194 with DX50 @ mid gain)

As You noted, I underlined word littlebit because difference is quite small.
Source gear used to compare was hardware/firmware modified iBasso DX50 which has very neutral and detailed open sound with slight hint of warmth (naturality). For more details about source gear check profile.

I was expecting much more V-shaped signature from comments I have read from here.
I think they are actually quite source dependent, thus some users have different result with these.

So, in conclusion, I would say ED10 is a must have in KZ lineup. Personally I rate KZ IEM`s as following:
1) mATE-b
2) ED10 
3) ED9 (brass+foam)
4) ANV (only gripe with this IEM is little lack of sub-bass, otherwise would put it on 2nd/3rd place)

My only gripe with ED10 is that freaking rubbery/springy cable -.-
(subjective opinion after living with IE800 cable on mATE-b)

Hope it helps someone :wink:

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #6,055 of 63,834
  Ok. Just got my ED10. I`ll make it shortly...

OOTB (with smallest black tips), ED10 are very good and definitely in top 3 of KZ latest IEM`s. Imo, by SQ, best after modified ATE, followed by ED9(brass) and ANV.

Now, this will be littlebit unfair since I have modified ATE but I`m going to be objective as I can.

ED10 vs. modded(m) ATE-b:

* ED10 has littlebit more sub-bass
* ED10 has littlebit V-shaped sound signature
* mATE-b has littlebit better mids and thus more natural vocals and more dynamic sound
* ED10 soundstage is very good and I would say on par with mATE-b but latter has littlebit better separation and transparency (result of modification)
* mATE-b has littlebit better microdetails through FR including highs (result of modification). Maybe except sub-bass because ED10 has more quantity on it.
* mATE-b has littlebit better balanced/neutral and natural sound signature

As You noted, I underlined word littlebit because difference is quite small.
Source gear used to compare was hardware/firmware modified iBasso DX50 which has very neutral and detailed open sound with slight hint of warmth (naturality). For more details about source gear check profile.

I was expecting much more V-shaped signature from comments I have read from here.
I think they are actually quite source dependent, thus some users have different result with these.

So, in conclusion, I would say ED10 is a must have in KZ lineup. Personally I rate KZ IEM`s as following:
1) mATE-b
2) ED10
3) ED9 (brass+foam)
4) ANV (only gripe with this IEM is little lack of sub-bass, otherwise would put it on 2nd/3rd place)

Hope it helps someone :wink:

Wow the ED10 is rated higher than ED9? Glad that I ordered ED10 instead of ED9. :D
By the way with intense curiosity, is your mod to kz ate really beneficial? I'm a bit skeptical about this lol... how does it sound different? I hope its something easy to do..

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #6,056 of 63,834
Originally Posted by kaiteck /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow the ED10 is rated higher than ED9? Glad that I ordered ED10 instead of ED9. :D

This is just my subjective opinion. I`m quite sensitive to highs and that`s why I have foam-modded my ED9 with brass nozzles. But then again I`m not only one here who finds ED9 highs slightly sharp/fatiguing.
By the way with intense curiosity, is your mod to kz ate really beneficial? I'm a bit skeptical about this lol... how does it sound different? I hope its something easy to do..

Seems You haven`t noticed my ATE "Forest Fairy" mod yet
biggrin.gif

Open-back grill-mod + ED9 brass nozzles makes them noticeably more detailed and open/transparent sounding 
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #6,057 of 63,834
I do not find the ED9 bright at all. I believe it can resolve detail very well but bright...no. If you have a descent source and the correct tips I find them to be my favorite Kz. I did experiment with different types of filters on the gold nozzles but actually enjoy the brass more (with stock filters in place).
+1

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #6,058 of 63,834
Time to change cable!
tongue.gif

R.I.P. my soon to be sacrificed R-35 for cable change.
Didn`t notice much difference between open/closed but need to do more comparing. One thing is sure, it`s not worse as open-back.
ED10 are very easy to open, just pull from black cable relief till it comes away from housing and then take something thin and strong (like nail-fastener), put it inside from cable hole and with one hand holding from enclosure - pull(push) from inside pulling both hands together. Back cover will pop-out easily and can be re-installed easily with littlebit glue. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #6,059 of 63,834
I do not find the ED9 bright at all. I believe it can resolve detail very well but bright...no. If you have a descent source and the correct tips I find them to be my favorite Kz. I did experiment with different types of filters on the gold nozzles but actually enjoy the brass more (with stock filters in place).

+2

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #6,060 of 63,834

Do agree with Hisoundfi and peter123 and me run them thru me DX90 ..which is brighter dap conpared to me Fiio x5 ..haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back