Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #4,501 of 63,671

Yep, seems that they have quite a wide spread in the production. My two identical sets sounded very different. One was really sublime and one was good (but not great). So - I can see why some people don't like them and others are raving... 

Hey, are your filters attached the same? And are the filters -while the same colour- the same looking? No extra holes, other lengt etc.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #4,502 of 63,671
  Nice pics.

btw I'd say don't bother spending money on that bro. Cables indeed affect sound but to a little degree. Most of the difference people are listening is of course due to production variances. KZ makes cool products but come on, be realistic. They probably won't have high precision QC like some well known brand do. A comparison like this won't draw a permanent conclusion. 

I think the most of the difference people are listening is

1. size S/M/L of eartips and the way they insert into their ears.  
2. upgraded material
3. production variances.   soldering work for ED9 is not quite easy for inexperience worker.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you has long experience with KZ.  You will know that sometime they upgrade their material.
e.g. KZ-GR, they changed the filter and still call it KZ-GR.   Some model like LP, ANV they even upgrade the driver.  

KZ is already well known brand. 
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #4,503 of 63,671
Some time ago I told here that a guy from my local PC forum bought 2 identical EDSE`s and one sounded littlebit different, not much though, while looking exactly same and using same cable. And btw, different guy from same forum told yesterday that his ATE highs are sharp and "ear-cutting"... which I found really weird and didn`t agree with using same albums in FLAC format.
In case of some ED9`s it`s probably production/QC difference + cable differences together. 
Anyway, it shouldn`t make BIG difference and probably most of ppl wouldn`t notice it so easily and would still recommend to get ED9 or ATE.

ANV they even upgrade the driver. 

Really? Didn`t know that!

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,504 of 63,671
I think the most of the difference people are listening is

1. size S/M/L of eartips and the way they insert into their ears.  
2. upgraded material
3. production variances.   soldering work for ED9 is not quite easy for inexperience worker.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you has long experience with KZ.  You will know that sometime they upgrade their material.
e.g. KZ-GR, they changed the filter and still call it KZ-GR.   Some model like LP, ANV they even upgrade the driver.  

KZ is already well known brand. :p  

You are right as well and yeah that's why so many varying opinions around here...

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #4,505 of 63,671
Posted these impressions elsewhere Monday evening, realized they should be here.
Edited:
KZ ATE now have over 50hrs of "playing" so .... 

First impressions:

iPod iMod 128GB through an eBay caped LOD to a JDS Labs C5.

JDS set to low gain and no bass boost.  Rock & Roll Classic Apple Lossless. Shuffle.

Damn!!!!
"I guess that's why they call it the blues" Elton John, just Damn.

Stem is a tad long, "blue center tips" from KZ official Ail store will not work, using the large silicon that came with the ATE.

Due to the long stem fit is not as good as Havi, these stick out too much. Ok, but could be better.  The over the ear style is great for active yard work sessions.  I added my free/adjustable chin chinch and they stay in place well despite not fitting as close as the Havi.

Not Technical like KZ ED9, Just a good easy listening IEM.

More KZ ATE first impression,

Continuing with the iMod/JDS C5, classic rock shuffle.
Some highlights:

Moody Blues "The Other Side of Life" - so good I turned it up to far :)

Canned Heat from "Rolling & Tumbling"  Bad recording/mix/master.  So much fun with these ATE,  wonderful sounding distortion.

Cat Stevens "Matthew & Son" - Engaging

IMHO the ATE allow me to enjoy less than great recordings, going as far as make them fun to listen to again. The better recordings well....

And today, with more listening I continue to enjoy the easy listening presentation, these work well with lesser kits like my Nano 4G/ FiiO E6 and with the less than great recordings, yet they scale up with better kits and sources.  With the easy listening and secure fit they may become, at least until the next thing, my go to yard working IEM. YMMV.

Thanks,
R

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4,507 of 63,671
  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Arrival-Original-KZ-ATE-3-5mm-in-ear-Earphones-HIFI-Metal-Stereo-Earphones-Super/32363841975.html

Good seller?

Others may know better than me.  I have only ordered from three Ali stores, two of which claimed to be KZ Official Flagship stores.  The first one disappeared and now another one.

R

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #4,508 of 63,671
My thoughts on the ED9 vs. VSD3

* These are my personal feelings and opinions based on how my donkey-brained ears hear these two iems in direct comparison to each other.

ED9 w/ Gold Filter vs. VSD3

- less bass, both sub and especially mid, but very similar texture
- bass has more punch
- requires more power
- better clarity and instrument separation
- mids not nearly as forward
- treble not quite as sharp and well-controlled, but is more extended and emphasized
- soundstage reasonably large and clearly defined; falls behind VSD3 but a noticeable margin

ED9 w/ Brass Filter (stock, no mods) vs. VSD3

- treble leaps further forward in clarity and separation; becomes sharper and with some previously absent simblance (almost shrill at times)
- bass dials back significantly and now plays second fiddle to mids and treble, but is still punchy (not nearly enough bass for my personal preference...)
- vocals take on a nice breathy vibe
- soundstage opens up further but loses definition; still falls short of the VSD3's spacious soundstage

Random

- The VSD3 is much more forgiving of crappy quality recordings.
- I used my UE600 medium bore tips for the comparo. Normally I run medium-sized, small bore Sony Hybrids on the VSD3 and large-sized, wide bore Huawei Honor tips on the ED9

Summary

ED9 with gold filters are very comparable to the VSD3. The VSD3 occasionally sounds boomy in comparison due to the mid-bass boost. The VSD3 displays a touch of veil in it's vocal presentation, but it's not really noticeable to me unless a/bing, ie. very minor. The brass filters give the ED9 a completely different, "audiophile" focused sound. They, in this form, cannot really compare to the VSD3 given they offer a totally different experience.

I was pretty surprised how well the ED9 with gold filters held up against the VSD3. I actually prefer them now that I've had some solid time to a/b the two. I don't think anyone "downgrading" from the VSD3 would be disappointed in the ED9, especially when you factor in the price difference and leap in build quality (leaning completely in favor of the ED9) between the two.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4,510 of 63,671
I actually dont mind the post. Maybe its personal opinion of whoever is running the account. It would be wrong if it was posted in any other topic but this is KZ impressions thread after all. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #4,512 of 63,671
Well, soundwise, ED9 IS very good and adjustable to one`s liking with nozzles/filters.... especially for the money. Period.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,513 of 63,671
  I like kz ed9, the appearance is beautiful and the sound is better.

Just saw this at the front page

(2015 New Arrival) Kz Ed9 Kz-ed9 Moving Coil Noise Cancelling Heavy Bass Music Hifi DJ Monitor Studio Sports Metal 3.5mm Earphones Headphones Earbuds for Iphone Samsung HTC Mp3 Mp4 / Better for Symphony/ Rock/ European and American Pop/ Dan
added by kzheadphone Today at 7:52 am
Yeah I don't think that's how you'd want to promote your product, or even if you're just a (very) passionate kz fans.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #4,514 of 63,671
That is really lame! KZ promoting workers/fanatics - PLEASE stop it until it is too late and You`ll turn users/buyers against Yourself and get threads locked and user accounts banned!

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #4,515 of 63,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back