Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 9, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #4,471 of 63,796
  Just take off Your ATE back covers to compare, they are same sounding to me as grill modded when open back.
Then You`ll know if Your 5-hole mod sounds different and makes them more bassy.

smily_headphones1.gif
I would have if I hadn't Super Glued them back together.
eek.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
TWIN

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #4,473 of 63,796
I popped in my ANV tonight after using almost nothing but the ED9 and ATE since receiving them. The following comments will probably not be supported by the majority, lol.

The ANV compare pretty favorably to KZs new heavy hitters...

They have wonderfully tight and punchy bass, with great sub-bass extension, plus forward and clean, unveiled mids. As with the ATE, piano's in particular sound powerful and natural however I like the extra weight the ANVs carries with it's note presentation. The treble with my filter mod is still a touch dry and not as smooth as the ATE's, but it's more detailed and better extended. Pretty similar to the ED9 (with brass filter + foam mod). I also love the soundstage. It seems to sit right between that of the ATE and ED9. One thing it bests both at, for me, is comfort. The cable on the ED9 is too bouncy, and I can only get a consistently good seal on the ATE with the Piston Triple flange tips (which I find quite uncomfortable). The ANV with large Sony hybrids seat instantly and disappear.

Overall the ANV are not quite as clean in the upper regions as either the ED9 or ATE, but it holds its own everywhere else and is still a great listen. I especially love the bass presentation in comparison to the other two.

KZ rocks. Micro Ring forever.​
 ​

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #4,474 of 63,796
I bought 2 pairs of the tuna variant of the ED9 - they sounded distinctively different. Which I felt was strange.

One of them sounded indeed incredibly good, unbelievably good. Not only for that money, in general. However after two weeks the cable basically fell out of the housing and that was that.

i now have the ATE incoming. They seem to be build much sturdier from the pics.

Cheers,
K

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #4,475 of 63,796
Translucent black ATE without mic for 11.7$: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Arrival-Original-KZ-ATE-3-5mm-in-ear-Earphones-HIFI-Metal-Stereo-Earphones-Super/32338241180.html?tracelog=rowan&rowan_id2=ae_pay_low_mail_template_en_US_2015-06-09

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #4,476 of 63,796
  Yesterday I found a brand new Sony MH1c IEMs on the bottom of a drawer on my desk.
They came with my Xperia Z1 but I never tried them.
Today I decided to give them a try and I was amazed by the SQ.
Is there someone who own both of this headphones and can compare the SQ of the KZ ED9s with the one from the Sony MH1c ?

I have been using Sony Ericsson MH1 (has got same driver and housing as MH1C, except for having an OMTP compliant 3.5 mm jack instead of CTIA jack of MH1C) for the last month or so, following is how I find Sony MH1 to be when compared against ED9

Soundstage - ED9 with both Shiny and Brass filters >>> MH1
Bass Quality/Quantity - ED9 with Shiny filters >>> MH1
Vocals - ED9 with Brass Filters > MH1
Treble - ED9 with Brass Filters >>> MH1
Clarity and Instrument separation - ED9 with Brass filters >> MH1
Build quality and Cable - ED9 > MH1 (hate MH1s J-style flat cable)
Isolation - MH1 >>> ED9 (Downside to this great islolation is MH1's hybrid tips making me feel my ear being sucked, not a great feeling!)

Overall, I like listening to ED9 more so than my MH1 (YMMV)

Here is a detailed and better (more professional too) review by @ClieOS on MH1/MH1C http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #4,477 of 63,796
I bought 2 pairs of the tuna variant of the ED9 - they sounded distinctively different. Which I felt was strange.

One of them sounded indeed incredibly good, unbelievably good. Not only for that money, in general. However after two weeks the cable basically fell out of the housing and that was that.

Cheers,
K

I have both MIC and non MIC version of ED9. Too my ears, they has different sound.  

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #4,478 of 63,796
  I have both MIC and non MIC version of ED9. Too my ears, they has different sound.  

Yep, seems that they have quite a wide spread in the production. My two identical sets sounded very different. One was really sublime and one was good (but not great). So - I can see why some people don't like them and others are raving... 

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #4,479 of 63,796

Yep, seems that they have quite a wide spread in the production. My two identical sets sounded very different. One was really sublime and one was good (but not great). So - I can see why some people don't like them and others are raving... 

I wonder if that's the case with the ATE as well, since mine (mic-less silver from KZ official store) sounds different to what everyone else is saying. I currently have 3 DT-3's that sound identical though.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #4,480 of 63,796
  I popped in my ANV tonight after using almost nothing but the ED9 and ATE since receiving them. The following comments will probably not be supported by the majority, lol.

They have wonderfully tight and punchy bass, with great sub-bass extension, plus forward and clean, unveiled mids. As with the ATE, piano's in particular sound powerful and natural however I like the extra weight the ANVs carries with it's note presentation. The treble with my filter mod is still a touch dry and not as smooth as the ATE's, but it's more detailed and better extended. Pretty similar to the ED9 (with brass filter + foam mod). I also love the soundstage. It seems to sit right between that of the ATE and ED9. One thing it bests both at, for me, is comfort. The cable on the ED9 is too bouncy, and I can only get a consistently good seal on the ATE with the Piston Triple flange tips (which I find quite uncomfortable). The ANV with large Sony hybrids seat instantly and disappear.

Overall the ANV are not quite as clean in the upper regions as either the ED9 or ATE, but it holds its own everywhere else and is still a great listen. I especially love the bass presentation in comparison to the other two.

​

They are available here btw :) http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KZ-apparatus-of-5-8-MM-acme-micro-ring-in-ear-headphones-high-resolution-penetrating-voice/1246446_2033397274.html
 I know they werent for some time. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #4,482 of 63,796

Ya know, I wrote off my ANV for a while. I revisited them and I have to say they are a decent listen, and the build quality is incredible.

I think the thing about them that keeps them from being a favorite is that the upper midrange is maybe just a bit to forward in the mix. It can get a little shouty and splashy with some music. Still it's moving up the list.

Thanks for the impressions friend, you inspired me to give this one another listen, and I gotta say that for I agree with you. The ANV is definitely one of the better KZs out there.

Cheers

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #4,483 of 63,796
smily_headphones1.gif
Guys, I'm pretty sure that Tuna and KZ are the same company. They ship from same address in a lot of cases. I've got about 40 Hours now on My EDSEs and had a listen-- WOW is my first impression. I'm taking these on "Tour" with me tonight for an extended listen. I'm thinking these are easily in top 3 KZs.

I also have my eye on TUNA (don't we all
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Anyone with experience with their C5s? Specs look real good.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,484 of 63,796
It is actually KZ RS1 ...nothing new.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4,485 of 63,796

Cheers,
K

Which one is better to Your ears? Without mic? I`m thinking that mic+extra connections may be the cause here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back