Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4,111 of 63,671
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
if ed9s with brass filter don't have pikey piercing highs as edse I might get them as havi for on the go listening.
Is its isolation that bad? Since it's open design.

smily_headphones1.gif

Do you mean isolation from External sounds, or isolation for nearby People. No the Brass filter gives a faily flat eq. The GOLD filters raise the highs almost to silibence? on some music.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

May 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #4,112 of 63,671
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
if ed9s with brass filter don't have pikey piercing highs as edse I might get them as havi for on the go listening.
Is its isolation that bad? Since it's open design.

I like my Havis, but since I mostly use my earphones on the go, from my cell phone, I haven't been able to use them to their full potential. I tried using them with my NX1, but I got too much radio interference from the phone, so I started using EDSE instead, which are way way easier to drive and a lot more forgiving regarding the absence of an amp. Now I've recently changed to ED9 (brass tips, chinese "comply" foam tips), which are, to my ears, significantly better than EDSE, and also work well driven straight from the phone.

It's been a while since I used the Havis, properly amped etc, so I can't really give a just comparison, but the isolation is way better than I expected on both the EDSE and ED9. Sure, they're open backed, but with foam tips, they're totally usable even on the noisy bus I take every day.

All in all, the only thing I can complain about regarding the ED9 is the cable. It's more rubbery than the EDSE cable, which means it tangles more easily, and I also find it to be slightly more microphonic.

I've received my ATE as well, by the way, but I've been enjoying my ED9 so much that I haven't really given the ATE a proper listen..

May 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #4,113 of 63,671
Not so sure about that. I don`t have my HPro1 anymore but from the memory they are quite "same" when brass filters are being used. 
But yes, ED9 has much better vol/efficiency ratio.
Tried easy tape-test over breathing holes and seems to be like I predicted. Despite bass is thumpy, I`m not sure I like it more. Seems to raise bass quantity maybe too much.

And testing will go on...

From direct A/B I totally agree with @TwinACStacks on this, the details and separation on the Havis (amped) are way better.

May 28, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #4,114 of 63,671
From direct A/B I totally agree with @TwinACStacks on this, the details and separation on the Havis (amped) are way better.
+1

I have B3 and finding is similar.

May 28, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,117 of 63,671
OK this gets interesting. I like my havis but for a student like me I could use the money if I sold them and buy a sort of baby havi instead.
Keep us informed!

Also ED9 brass vs ANV please! :) both called flat/neutral

May 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #4,118 of 63,671

Really? I doubt this.  Can you provide some track titles that you find Havi's are FAR more detailed?

Havi has more details, not far better for sure.
Kinda unfair to compare ED9 to Havi, which already are very good VFM IEMs and cost multiple times more than ED9. 

May 28, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #4,119 of 63,671

Not so sure about that. I don`t have my HPro1 anymore but from the memory they are quite "same" when brass filters are being used. 
But yes, ED9 has much better vol/efficiency ratio.
Tried easy tape-test over breathing holes and seems to be like I predicted. Despite bass is thumpy, I`m not sure I like it more. Seems to raise bass quantity maybe too much.

And testing will go on...

I didn`t use my Havis with seperate amp. Only tried it with Aune T1 SS amp and DX50 HO. From that perspective - I still stay with my ear-memory and wouldn`t call Havis FAR more detailed.
Another thing without amping Havis were it`s "recessed" bass range. 

Just my experience with HaviB3Pro1... 

Also ED9 brass vs ANV please! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 both called flat/neutral

I wrote my opinion some time ago about ANV. They are VERY neutral sounding and analytical. Don`t bother to search my post, coping from my profile:
very balanced/neutral sounding, great micro-details in highs region. Might lack littlebit mids and warmth in vocals. Quite hard and fast hitting kicks. Some bass heavy music may lack bass "sustain" and "deepness" but it might come from slight lack of midbass.

For my gear and taste ED9 are superior in every way.

May 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,120 of 63,671
I am drooling, tomorrow i will have my ATE and probably ED9 will be here on Monday.
Those ATE mods seem rather interesting! But personally i don't wanna dig a "large" hole on the housing, i will try something else... maybe one extra small hole somewhere on it to let it "breathe".

May 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #4,121 of 63,671
Hole(s) should be above driver imo, otherwise plastic will still "reflect" soundwaves. I did my ATE hole mod fast and not perfect but will show pics later when they have dried enough to touch... I painted them with spray, just for fun because I had spray laying near me. Result will not be so beautiful but I did it just to show what could be done. For myself I will go with wooden backplates and different grills. Atm I used those golden grills to "cover" that hole. Don`t know yet if those grills will reduce "open mod" effect but will update when I test them again.

May 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #4,122 of 63,671
I didn`t use my Havis with seperate amp. Only tried it with Aune T1 SS amp and DX50 HO. From that perspective - I still stay with my ear-memory and wouldn`t call Havis FAR more detailed.

I wrote my opinion some time ago about ANV. They are VERY neutral sounding and analytical. Don`t bother to search my post, coping from my profile:

So anv is flatter/more neutral?

May 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #4,123 of 63,671
Yep. SQ wise they are like "studio monitoring cans", neutral/cold/flat/analytical.
But I do not find them very good for enjoying music, especially for longer sessions.
And soundstage of ED9 is way better.

May 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,124 of 63,671
I just made an amazing discovery!

If you listen to your ATE with the back plate off, while hanging upside down, and eating a spicy Italian subway sandwich, with your favorite pair of shoes on, it really opens up the soundstage!

Sarcasm

May 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,125 of 63,671
OK this gets interesting. I like my havis but for a student like me I could use the money if I sold them and buy a sort of baby havi instead.
Keep us informed!

Also ED9 brass vs ANV please! :) both called flat/neutral

To my ears the ED9 is not more similar to the B3's than any other random, fairly neutral sounding IEM but YMMV.

Nothing personal buy I don't even trust my own audio memory (been surprised too many times) let alone someone else's. A/B is the ONLY reliable way to compare for me but again YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back