Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4,066 of 63,832
  ATE + ED9 eartips = d@mn good sound. 

ED9 eartips isolate very well.  Put these eartips on ATE, this is a perfect combination.

I test them with this kind of music. It's d@mn good.  No need to buy expensive IEM.

lol I was searching for this song for a while, I remember listening to this somewhere.

May 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #4,067 of 63,832
  Ilikeiem, don`t work on me... I have too small ear canals. Only thin and very soft Piston2 silicones will fit into my ears with ATE. ATE has pretty thick nozzle.
But Piston2 tips seal ATE perfectly for me.

Btw, I took my ATE apart.
Doesn`t seem to be glued but It needs quite hard pull-twist between "gap-line" with something strong and same thick as that "gap". I used typical carpet-knife.
Some pics: 

That removable-cable looking part is moving freely along the cable and that golden "cap" above driver also. I see no point in latter one, just seems to be "bling-bling" thing for translucent housing.
  Guys, have you tried custom nozzles with ED9 (wooden for example)?

No but maybe will make some if I finish modding it.

LOL, I`m actually listening to my ATE without back covers as I`m writing and it sounds great!
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Maybe I`m imaging things atm but sort of "hollowness" (maybe caused by plastic housing?) has lifted from ATE listening this way. 
Anyway - modding madness begins!
tongue.gif

Btw, I`m raising a question - are ED9 and ATE using same drivers?!? 
Edit: nah, doesn`t seem like same drivers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/3960#post_11630674

May 27, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #4,068 of 63,832
  lol I was searching for this song for a while, I remember listening to this somewhere.

If your ear canals are large enough, put ED9 (L-size) eartips on ATE and listen to this song.  Hope you will like it. This thing sounds really hi-end. 

LOL, I`m actually listening to my ATE without back covers as I`m writing and it sounds great!
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL 
biggrin.gif

BTW, I'm able to put ED9 eartips S-size on ATE but L-size performs better.  soundstage is amazing. 
eek.gif

May 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,070 of 63,832
Guys... wait till You hear it without back covers... sounds pretty amazing to me
biggrin.gif
 Needs little higher volume though...
Actually doesn`t need higher volume... had quiet recording playing.

And take it with grain of salt... I haven`t made comparison to ED9 yet, or any.
But it really does sound great without backplates.

Edit: Ok, I put plates back on... I hope I`m not hallucinating or something... but without backplates it really is better
blink.gif

Everything seems clearer and more natural. Like I told already - somekind of "hollowness" is lifted... everything sounds so effortless and... oh... I can see open-back covers coming
biggrin.gif

Actually without backplates (through DX50+SU 1.3.3+cap mod) this is reminding me my best setup I have - modified Aune T1 + Siemens E88CC goldpin tube. 

Ok, I`m going to stop and try again tomorrow with rested ears and mind... but if I reach to same conclusion tomorrow then I have found my budget IEM-bliss I was looking for
biggrin.gif

Edit again... just out of curiosity I jumped back to ED9 with brass nozzle foam mod and I`mgetting confused...
Time to go to sleep! Sorry guys... 

May 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #4,071 of 63,832
  Guys... wait till You hear it without back covers... sounds pretty amazing to me
biggrin.gif
 Needs little higher volume though...
Actually doesn`t need higher volume... had quiet recording playing.

And take it with grain of salt... I haven`t made comparison to ED9 yet, or any.
But it really does sound great without backplates.

Edit: Ok, I put plates back on... I hope I`m not hallucinating or something... but without backplates it really is better
blink.gif

Everything seems clearer and more natural. Like I told already - somekind of "hollowness" is lifted... everything sounds so effortless and... oh... I can see open-back covers coming
biggrin.gif

Actually without backplates (through DX50+SU 1.3.3+cap mod) this is reminding me my best setup I have - modified Aune T1 + Siemens E88CC goldpin tube. 

Ok, I`m going to stop and try again tomorrow with rested ears and mind... but if I reach to same conclusion tomorrow then I have found my budget IEM-bliss I was looking for
biggrin.gif

I just wonder why they don't use a metal mesh to cover it to make it open back, jut as ED9!

May 27, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #4,072 of 63,832
ED9 is open back... basically also "fully open". Anyway, one thing is sure - both ED9 and ATE without backplates are amazing!

May 27, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,073 of 63,832
  ED9 is open back... basically also "fully open". Anyway, one thing is sure - both ED9 and ATE without backplates are amazing!

I hope i will have ATE tomorrow, but ain't planning using them without backplate.
Maybe i will make an extra hole on it though or make the current one bigger.(Ofc once i try them without backplate, to check if i like the result).
Thanks for your "modding/experimenting" information!

May 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,074 of 63,832
How does th ATE and ed9 compare to ttpod t1e

And maybe higher end like the gr07 Bass edition?

May 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #4,075 of 63,832

What if you drill a bunch of holes in the back of ATE plate?

May 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #4,077 of 63,832
Even though ED9 is the best KZ IEM with highest sound resolution and huge soundstage. My top 5 most favorites KZ IEMs are as follows:

$9 ED8m BLUE    >    $13 ED9    >    $10 ATE    >    $12 ANV 2014    >    $8 EDSE 

The correctness of timbre comes first. Resolution, soundstage, detail & clarity, isolation, fit, impedance, weight, durability, price comes later. 
My source gear is $2,999 USD MacBook Pro with Retina.  Output format = 88200hz, 32bits.

I know your list will be different :p    What’s yours?

I am actually pretty surprise that no one have spoken about DT5 Which is also a pretty amazing set. If you are looking for a sound signature close to DT3 with better mid, can try.

May 28, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #4,078 of 63,832

What if you drill a bunch of holes in the back of ATE plate?

Maybe it will work but maybe plastic will still "reflect" sound... just thinking out loud. I will probably make new backplates with open design. First I will try closed of course but I suspect more open it is, better it is... no idea yet though.

May 28, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #4,080 of 63,832
  Maybe it will work but maybe plastic will still "reflect" sound... just thinking out loud. I will probably make new backplates with open design. First I will try closed of course but I suspect more open it is, better it is... no idea yet though.

Filling foam around the cavity walls will do some justice.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back