Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 14, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,631 of 63,834
  After more listening EDSE, I like it more and more. I would say it is just a "little" Senn. IE80. Almost every aspects are a little bit inferior than 80, but many aspects are not very far away. Realy great for classical/symphony! At less than $8 price, unbelieveable! At least for symphonies, EDSE is much much better than 8320. 8320's soundstage is definitely abnormal. EDSE's soundstage is close to circle. On a good enough source, its soundstage is pretty spacious.

I compared them too but I found the EDSE's treble to be too hot for classical. 8320 have also quite forward treble which causes some troubles sometimes, but less so then EDSE. Due to the lower midrange of the EDSE I too found them inferior for classical as most of the music is in the midrange...

May 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #3,632 of 63,834
  So is the KZ ED9 the new budget king?  Beats Pistons 2 and 3 and Soundsoul S-018?

Does it beat the $50 IEMs (KC06, Tenore)?

Patiently waiting for my ED9, I can run a comparison between those and Tenore. Alas, despite ordering on the first day it was available on AliExpress, mine is yet to arrive.

May 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3,633 of 63,834

I compared them too but I found the EDSE's treble to be too hot for classical. 8320 have also quite forward treble which causes some troubles sometimes, but less so then EDSE. Due to the lower midrange of the EDSE I too found them inferior for classical as most of the music is in the midrange...

I think that's presonal preference. 8320 might be better for solo piano, violin. But for symphony/orchestra, EDSE is much better than 8320 by only one ear listening.

May 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #3,634 of 63,834
I also find EDSE treble too hot/splashy with classical but main problem with EDSE is SSsss sibilance in vocals and for me personally also bass is lacking, for example contrabass is nowhere near sounding natural and deep.
But lets not forget that EDSE requires very good fit and seal to sound to its best and source gear differences are also important (most ppl within cheap gear range tend to judge by typical smartphones and such, which are not so good for proper judgement imho).

May 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,635 of 63,834
So is the KZ ED9 the new budget king?  Beats Pistons 2 and 3 and Soundsoul S-018?

Well the old edse and dt3 does beat the pistons 2.1 so I am sure the ed9 will to

May 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,636 of 63,834
For symphony/orchestra, ED9 is the winner 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3,638 of 63,834
  I also find EDSE treble too hot/splashy with classical but main problem with EDSE is SSsss sibilance in vocals and for me personally also bass is lacking, for example contrabass is nowhere near sounding natural and deep.
But lets not forget that EDSE requires very good fit and seal to sound to its best and source gear differences are also important (most ppl within cheap gear range tend to judge by typical smartphones and such, which are not so good for proper judgement imho).

EDSE reqiure a good source for fully displaying its potential.
Seems you are a basshead. EDSE have enough bass quantity for most people I believe since I classify myself as a basshaed and I satisfy with its bass quantity.

May 14, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,639 of 63,834

EDSE reqiure a good source for fully displaying its potential.
Seems you are a basshead. EDSE have enough bass quantity for most people I believe since I classify myself as a basshaed and I satisfy with its bass quantity.

I find EDSE needing an amp (If source is not powerful enough) to show the potential. Among my inventory it's one of the earphone that changes its impression to a higher degree when amped. 

Agree with the bass. I'm also a basshead and EDSE offers pretty enough. People finding EDSE lacking in bass quantity either didn't get a good seal, or has faulty EDSE or just that they are too much basshead.

May 14, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,641 of 63,834

You've been around long enough to know that that answer to that question depends on who you ask :wink: That being said I prefer the ED9 to all of the others on the list (except the Piston 3 that I haven't heard).

May 14, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,644 of 63,834
  The old red GR filters sound great on the ED9. Brings mids and vocals up quite a bit... maybe too much. There is some treble splash like the ED3, and detail/resolution isn't near Titan 1 levels, but it's pretty damn good for $10. ~$50 level easy.

Do you think the GR filters on the ED9 sound similar to the MH1? Is it worth buying a GR just for the filters for the ED9 because I heard the GR on its own isn't that good.  I prefer forward mids and a good sounstage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back