Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #35 of 63,797
Has anyone tried the new KZ-ED1 IEM? According to their taobao website, it has sold over 1600 in 30 days and receiving good reviews.
Will want to know how these $8-$10 sound. Has 2 version gold and silver?

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #36 of 63,797
Just got my BLOX BE5 and KZ R3 a little while ago...

Get some impressions up a little later but they are quite handsome. Cable is quality. Wood finish is very nice. Came in a little baggie and 4 pairs of tips. I ordered the linear professional so they are the more balanced tuning.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #39 of 63,797
I'd say my R3 being the linear version aren't that warm though the stock tips are warm/thick sounding and should be changed. Rich sounding from the wood(which includes the front sound tube) but good balance and they sound much like the Moxpad/soundsoul U10. Cable works on the U10 as well. I tested with one side R3 and the other with a U10 driver plugged in and they are very close sounding. I think with some run in the R3 may get better and move ahead. I'd say that is the level they are on right now. Not bad. We'll see how they end up. Build is very nice though. All wood and metal and a nice sturdy braided cable that does not want to coil or tangle and is pretty supple. Fun and nice sounding so far. Need to burn in and do some tip rolling.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #40 of 63,797
So, after some burn in and some time with the R3 they are improving and growing on me. Still have an excellent cable similar to the older Ety cable but a bit thinner and more pliable. Also similar to the Vsang/Brainwavz cable but a bit thicker and again more pliable. A nice thing is the connection is strong and you swivel the R/L markings to face which way you want. The cable sheath is a bit microphonic and they really could use a clip and a cord slider. Good thing is you can add a slider if you want with a piece of heat shrink tubing. It would slide easily over the straight plug and Y which are aluminum cylinders. I may just use an old tip turn it inside out and cut a slider out of the inner bore. 

I am using medium Philips 3580 tips on them with a fairly loose fit. The R3 are partially open in the rear like the older FX500/700 so they leak some out the back and are a very highly isolating phone. They are not bad when listening to music as external sounds are drowned out well. You can get better isolation with more of a deeper fit/more seal than I use but they get thicker and bassier. Used them today on a very windy day and they performed surprisingly well. No wind whistle nor could I hear the wind.

Not much burn in yet. Still under 25 hours but they are cleaning up and losing the initial thickness they had. They are well balanced with a loose fit but the bass takes charge with the best seal. Nice texture coming through, treble is very nice, quite refined. Details are quite good at this point. Stage is quite big, maybe a little bigger than the AX60 I had on loan till yesterday. The R3 was not too shabby vs. the AX60 actually even so early on. Of course the R3 are much better looking than the pricier Astrotec. The R3 cable is both detachable and better than the Astrotec's cable. Extension is just as good as well as the overall sound being similar to the dynamic part of the AX60 just less refined and resolving. Shame I had to send them to the next part of their tour before more hours could be put on the R3. Probably not going to get that good but just as enjoyable and more impressive as far as value.

Another thing worth mentioning is no driver flex as one might suspect since the rear vents prevent it.

The R3 could have some nice packaging and accessory pack and sell for $100. A real deal at $15.75 :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 63,797
which version of the kz-r3 is better?

there's the q sense LF version and the Linear Professional Edition on taobao

Q sense low-frequency version : Specialty undoubtedly its bass performance full of character, full of elasticity.
Linear Pro : highlights the vocal smoothness in a balanced, detailed sound at the end of the overall performance of rich, clear and penetrating voice.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #43 of 63,797

Q sense low-frequency version : Specialty undoubtedly its bass performance full of character, full of elasticity.
Linear Pro : highlights the vocal smoothness in a balanced, detailed sound at the end of the overall performance of rich, clear and penetrating voice.

Q Sense = Beats like bassy version

Linear = better sounding overall version

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 63,797

A pretty accurate description of the Linear Pro. Detail is coming in nicely as they burn in. Detailed so far just the micro detail is a bit muted or harder to hear but it is there. Not sure how much more it will come out. As much as I could have expected at this point so I am more then happy. They are pretty rich sounding which can smooth over micro detail yet some things here and there are presented near as well as high resolving phones like the Mikros or an Ety can. Vocals are smooth and are highlighted as the mids are almost as much the focus as the bass. The wood does bring a nice richness, texture, and unique tone to the R3's sound.  

is the linear version bassy in any way?

Yes. not JVC woody bassy. Mine are taming as they burn in. Not sure when it will stop. I do think they need a normal comfy fit with the right tips. If you are trying to get a deep as you can higher seal fit they will get more bassy. I have found that as they tone down I have gone to a slightly deeper fit that doesn't have to be as shallow as earlier on. The Moxpad X3/Soundsoul U10 are known by a few people and the Linear Pro has around the same amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back