Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 19, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #14,581 of 63,834
Got the ED12 and ZS3. I might actually like the ED12 more.

Either way, both a leap backwards from the ZST.

Edit: Okay, i've adjusted. The ZS3 Slams with authority and is extremely forgiving to bad recordings.
The ED12 is just a ZST that sucks.

The ZS3 has this slightly veiled muddy presence in the recording, which i find very offputting after listening to the ZST. The ED12 does not, which is why my initial response was anti-ZS3. It's like having turned up the bass in the EQ Settings. The Slam however is excellent. They also have the memory wire, which is very annoyng to get used to.

Otherwise, the seal is excellent but they're somewhat uncomfortable after only ~20 mins of use. Maybe i turned them wrong? 

That being said, the ZST remains king in my book. The soundstage is large and airy, the seperation is outstanding and the detail is excellent. It doesnt have that slam the ZS3 has.

All-in-all: even though i probably wont be using the ZS3 myself, it has gotten me more hyped about the ZSR, the ED12 just looks real neat but sounds sub-par for a KZ IEM.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #14,583 of 63,834
  my measures on kz zs3 cables (with "specialized" digital multimeter for low resistances):
stock: 0.84Ω
silver plated: 0.65Ω

It's the Knowledge Zenith thread, so here's some:

18ohm nominal DC resistance of the KZ ZS3.

(18.84-18.65)/18.84*100 = 1.00% difference in resistance.

Lets calculate the Power we gain over the new resistance at 1V:
1^2/18.84 = 0.05307 W
1^2/18.65 = 0.05317 W
dW = 0.00012 Watts of additional power with the new silver cable.

Lets calculate how much dB you gain with the additional power using this tool: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-amplification.htm
Gain in dB between 1 Watt and 1.00012 Watt:  0.000521 dB

We gained a whole whopping 0.000521 dB with the new Silver cable.
1dB is roughly the smallest change in dB a human can detect, hence 1/0.0005 = 2000 times smaller change than we can detect.

Just sayin'....
wink.gif
etysmile.gif

EDIT:
The difference between 1.5 and 0.6 ohm cable with 18ohm IEMs is 0.01 dB, nothing anyone would hear.
And NO, there is no change in frequency or transient response.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #14,584 of 63,834
It's the Knowledge Zenith thread, so here's some:

18ohm nominal DC resistance of the KZ ZS3.

(18.84-18.65)/18.84*100 = 1.00% difference in resistance.

Lets calculate the Power we gain over the new resistance at 1V:
1^2/18.84 = 0.05307 W
1^2/18.65 = 0.05317 W
dW = 0.00012 Watts of additional power with the new silver cable.

Lets calculate how much dB you gain with the additional power using this tool: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-amplification.htm
Gain in dB between 1 Watt and 1.00012 Watt:  0.000521 dB

We gained a whole whopping 0.000521 dB with the new Silver cable.
1dB is roughly the smallest change in dB a human can detect, hence 1/0.0005 = 2000 times smaller change than we can detect.

Just sayin'....:wink: :etysmile:  

EDIT:
The difference between 1.5 and 0.6 ohm cable with 18ohm IEMs is 0.01 dB, nothing anyone would hear.
And NO, there is no change in frequency or transient response.

Maybe those people really have "golden" ears...:wink:

Idk, but most of cable believer seems to believe that there's something in sound other than sonic vibration which said can't be measured with modern measuring tools. But the reality is of course our modern tools can detect even the most subtle change in FR curve if there's any.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #14,585 of 63,834

Well that's why I checked the impedance of the measuring leads directly, and it still showed 0.4ohms.  Oh well it's not an expensive meter, I just use it mainly to check battery voltages...haha

Anyway the main point is the wires for my UE triplefi 10s have the same impedance as the KZ ZST and ZS3 silver wires, so the upgrade silver cables are pretty decent and the stock cables aren't too bad either.

Sorry but You only Measure the DC Resistance with a Standard Multimeter, AC Resistance is much more Complex and changes with Frequency.

By the way I just listen to my newly arrived HDSE Bluetooth KZ,s with the stock tips the have very forward Sounding Mids but with some Sonyhybrids the Calm down a bit. The Bass is awesome for a Bluetooth Headset, just the High,s missing a bit Sparkle.   

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #14,586 of 63,834
i tot the zst cable socket housing is "straight" or flat..
the zs3 is "staggered" ...or stepped??
i posted a foto a few pages prior.

ZS3... uneven "stepped" 

===============

http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_533515.html?wid=21
price creeping up.... dun let it run away. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #14,587 of 63,834
  i tot the zst cable socket housing is "straight" or flat..
the zs3 is "staggered" ...or stepped??
i posted a foto a few pages prior.

http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_533515.html?wid=21
price creeping up.... dun let it run away. 

Oh my goodness, I am over 40 so am not quite sure what you are saying, but I think I get the idea.  
wink_face.gif
  Fortunately, I have a new hire at work who is almost 20 years my junior and is teaching me how people speak now. 
confused_face_2.gif

It would be very difficult to tell from the pictures on Ali whether a cable is for the ZS3 or the ZST.  The difference is best seen by looking at the connectors on the IEMs.  The sockets on the ZS3 stick out more, whereas the sockets for the ZSTs are flush with the plastic receptacle.  I hope this picture helps.

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #14,590 of 63,834
  Sorry but You only Measure the DC Resistance with a Standard Multimeter, AC Resistance is much more Complex and changes with Frequency.

By the way I just listen to my newly arrived HDSE Bluetooth KZ,s with the stock tips the have very forward Sounding Mids but with some Sonyhybrids the Calm down a bit. The Bass is awesome for a Bluetooth Headset, just the High,s missing a bit Sparkle.   

yeah, measuring things doesn't need to be that hard. measuring the right and relevant things correct, and knowing that your equipment and method is correct is often the tricky part
tongue_smile.gif

i also own KZ HDSE, but i don't like them very much. too dark sounding to me. they sound like cheap earphones to me
confused_face.gif
i prefer qcy qy19 for bluetooth iem.
the HDSE i would only use if i need something wireless. the qcy qy19 gets ear time even if wireless isn't necessary

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #14,591 of 63,834
Anyone, I just bought kz zs3 about two days ago but now one of the mmxc pin is bended coz the left earbud was pressed accidentaly pressed when I sleep while I still using it. Now everytime I plug in the earbud to the cable, it just plug off again so easily and this condition effect the audio quality too that make the sound unstabily on and off..

So can I repair the pin cable with DIY method or I must replace and buy the new one? Thank you

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #14,592 of 63,834
the HDSE i would only use if i need something wireless. the qcy qy19 gets ear time even if wireless isn't necessary

i haven't heard the HDSE, but i can vouch for the QY19. it is a great sounding iem that it is my most used at home and outside, adding the fact that it is very convenient to use

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #14,593 of 63,834
Anyone, I just bought kz zs3 about two days ago but now one of the mmxc pin is bended coz the left earbud was pressed accidentaly pressed when I sleep while I still using it. Now everytime I plug in the earbud to the cable, it just plug off again so easily and this condition effect the audio quality too that make the sound unstabily on and off..

So can I repair the pin cable with DIY method or I must replace and buy the new one? Thank you

It looks like the 2 pins are not so parallel as its supposed to be.......try aligning the 2 pins straight keeping aside the other channel as reference and see? Also take a look @ the earpiece female socket whther it went little deep inside.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #14,594 of 63,834
Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song

Absolutely wonderful presentation in the ZST's. Great soundstage, great reverb, fun & accurate bass, everything just sounds excellent. I feel in the ATR's the midbass is a little too forward, but other than that the characteristics are similar. ZST has a slightly larger soundstage.

Bing Crosby - Winter Wonderland (2006 Remaster)

Excellent soundstage with the ZST's. You can pick out exactly where each section of the orchestra is.

Walking around Seattle today feeling a little festive
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #14,595 of 63,834

yeah, measuring things doesn't need to be that hard. measuring the right and relevant things correct, and knowing that your equipment and method is correct is often the tricky part
tongue_smile.gif

i also own KZ HDSE, but i don't like them very much. too dark sounding to me. they sound like cheap earphones to me
confused_face.gif

Ye the ZST with the Avantree Clipper Sound,s a bit better.

I am a bit of a bass head, after 27 years of Hi Fi on Concert Level the Upper Mid,s and Lower Height,s get pretty annoying at times.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back