Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #14,086 of 58,335

Griffith

100+ Head-Fier
Just received the ED9... they weren't kidding when they said they were bass heavy. These make even the bassy ZS3 seem like a mild sheep in comparison.

The second tuning nozzle that comes with them gives songs a bit of an airy sound, similar to how the ZS3's mids sounded when I first got them but I'm hoping that after a few hours they might improve slightly as my ZS3 did. I know not everyone believes in burn-in, but what can I say, even though I'm also a skeptic it worked on my ZS3.

One thing that impressed me though is how better the ED9 are at imaging than the ZS3. I think they might even rival or come close to the ATE's imaging.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #14,087 of 58,335

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus
Oh, yeah! These things finally arrived. Some initial impressions.

​

1. They're not as bassy as I remembered, but they're still fairly bassy; quick and punchy with nice extension.
2. They have a wonderfully wide and airy soundstage; imaging and placement seem quite accurate.
3. Treble is quite detailed and not sibilant; slightly on the thin side.
4. Mid-range is well done. I wanted to say they're slightly recessed, but I don't think that's accurate. On Aesop Rock's Frijoles the vocals really stand out, especially in the closing moments. 
5. They're quite sensitive. Running them through my NX1 is horrible; tons of hissing. Through the One M8 or XDuoo X3 alone all is well.
6. Amp definitely isn't needed to get them up to volume.
7. They do a great job of embarrassing the LZ A2S...
rolleyes.gif

Overall? I like them a lot. They're comfortable, well built, and may very well set the bar that much higher for future KZs. I also love that the housing is clear so you can check out the DD and the tiny BA tucked in the nozzle. Very cool.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #14,090 of 58,335

ayao

100+ Head-Fier
  A glimpse of things to come..

I've only heard good things about the Micro Ring! Didn't know they were still available..

Oh, yeah! These things finally arrived. Some initial impressions.
 ​
4. Mid-range is well done. I wanted to say they're slightly recessed, but I don't think that's accurate. On Aesop Rock's Frijoles the vocals really stand out, especially in the closing moments. 

Your descriptions pretty much match my initial impressions, except you described it way better. In terms of the mid-range, there is a large 2khz bump, which makes the vocals stand out, but there is also a dip around 500-1khz (low-mid to mid), which makes it sound drier/less-warm. Perhaps that may be the reason why you thought the mids were recessed, but not recessed at the same time?

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #14,091 of 58,335

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus
  I've only heard good things about the Micro Ring! Didn't know they were still available..

Your descriptions pretty much match my initial impressions, except you described it way better. In terms of the mid-range, there is a large 2khz bump, which makes the vocals stand out, but there is also a dip around 500-1khz (low-mid to mid), which makes it sound drier/less-warm. Perhaps that may be the reason why you thought the mids were recessed, but not recessed at the same time?

The Micro Ring is not available anymore. Mine is a couple years old. They're one of my fav KZs and since you can't get them anymore I baby the crap out of them. 

That makes sense, and that's a much better description than I could ever provide, haha.

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #14,094 of 58,335

Griffith

100+ Head-Fier
  How long does it usually take buying from their taobao store shipping to europe? 

Depends on when you order and how long they take to ship it but usually it arrives sometimes between 2 and 5 weeks unless they ship with DHL or some other similar service.

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #14,095 of 58,335

1clearhead

Headphoneus Supremus
  Nope.

ZS3 still tops for me (very closely followed by ATR) in terms of SQ and Fit for my tastes/gears.

My concern with ZST's graininess in treble (plus recessed mids) still persists and the only thing that I somewhat like about them is their tight bass. There is something wrong with my ZST's overall sound presentation that makes me feel an overall muddiness in their output which I am not able to get rid of.

These are the same exact concerns I have with mine.
confused.gif
  But, on the bright side....I love their looks!
cool.gif
 I'm going to keep burning them to see what happens next.

A glimpse of things to come..

You're such a teaser! 
tongue_smile.gif
  ....nice collection!

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #14,097 of 58,335

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus

These are the same exact concerns I have with mine.
confused.gif
  But, on the bright side....I love their looks!
cool.gif
 I'm going to keep burning them to see what happens next.

You're such a teaser! 
tongue_smile.gif
  ....nice collection!

I'm wondering if they changed the BA following release. The two pairs I have are not at all grainy, nor was @RvTrav's pair when I gave them a quick go.

rolleyes.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #14,100 of 58,335

chompchomps

100+ Head-Fier
7. They do a great job of embarrassing the LZ A2S...:rolleyes:

Wow, now i feel like getting them, thought the A2S sounded pretty decent. Able to compare them with tennmark pros?

Users who are viewing this thread