Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #14,042 of 63,834
I received my ZS3, very nice matte look but I already hate them:
-The weird cable plug coming out in a way it doesn't turn around the ''beginning'' of the ear makes it awkward look
-Same goes for fit, tried both medium and big tips as well as the ones from the ATES but the right ZS3 plug never have a good fit whatever I do
-Bass is heavier than already heavy bass ATES, it's even muddier
I should have kept my $ for another aliexpress gadget

I had the same problem when I bought my meelec M6(2011 i think),the real culprit is the thin metal wire thats inside the shrink tube that actually molds as we bend them the way we want.......IIRC I tried/used the ear-guide back then .
I have the same issue now with my zs3 same as you and Im gonna try the same remedy when I spend my time with it.

Reg the tips: Try something hard at the shaft/tube,just like sony hybrids (like the stock ones are) as the nozzles doesnt have the lip to secure the tips......Also, you might end up tips staying in the ears when zs3 is taken out. Smaller dia tips than the zs3 nozzle too cld fit securely.

Otoh, the right ear fit issue you have cld be that memory wire?thats what I feel..... try straightning the mem wire first,90 deg to the ear-piece,insert the ear piece in your ear canal,once the fit is thru, mold the mem wire behind the ears.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #14,043 of 63,834
Got my ZST's in the mail today (purple colored version), so far very impressed with how well controlled and extended the bass is for the $11 i paid for it.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #14,044 of 63,834
Got my ZST's in the mail today (purple colored version), so far very impressed with how well controlled and extended the bass is for the $11 i paid for it.

I got a slip in the mail saying I have to go pick them up because no one answered when they tried to deliver. Funny that. I now work from home, watched them leave their truck and enter the building, then leave. Nearing two weeks late on your delivery and you pull that garbage? Yup...*slow clap*

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #14,045 of 63,834
Interesting measurements on ZST, probably not my cup of tea, this graph pretty much confirms the initial impressions of a lot of people so I doubt the mixed opinions are from bad QC but from different personal preferences.

I'm guessing it's still from low QC. I doubt anyone in this thread could use a good pair of ZST's for a few days and hate them regardless of what your listening profile is.

Graph doesn't look very accurate after a fresh listen this morning. There is absolutely no way the highs roll off like that at 13k. That's something the ATE's and ATR's do. I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #14,047 of 63,834
It's a fact. There is zero scientific evidence that burning in does anything. Anyone who thinks otherwise I add to my "maybe not so great at audio" list.

Zero scientific evidence doesn't make something a fact. I'm confident that the study of burn in its not a big grant generator for research funding, so there's probably been minimal effort from the scientific community to prove or disprove burn in. It is difficult IMO to measure the tiny nuances that the human brain can discern when perceiving the outside world and frequency response graphs only tell a small part of the story.

I've listened to a pair of new vivo xe800 that were noticeably different to an older pair. Now after they have been well used like the other pair, I couldn't tell then apart. Am I "not very good at audio" then?

Perception is very subjective so I would suggest not being too dismissive of other's opinions as they are as valid to that individual as your opinions are to you.

Back on topic though, your opinions on the ZST have made me curious to try them for the price.

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #14,050 of 63,834
Interesting measurements on ZST, probably not my cup of tea, this graph pretty much confirms the initial impressions of a lot of people so I doubt the mixed opinions are from bad QC but from different personal preferences.

I agree that many of the mixed opinions are the result of different personal preferences, but I wouldn't dismiss bad QC as well. 

Back when the EDSE was "the" KZ IEM, some people said that the ED2 was the same thing, and there were also positive impressions for the ED2. I ordered the EDSE and ED2 (from the "official KZ store"), and they sounded completely different. One sounded like what most people described it as, while the other one sounded very hollow, just like the revised KZ GR that I got in the same order (I believe after they tweaked the nozzles, not a single person liked the KZ GR). The IEMs all came in the tiny unmarked cardboard boxes, so there was no way to tell which one was the ED2 and EDSE. My first pair of DT3 had a ton of driver flex, but I really liked the sound signature (reminded me of the SE846, no joke). I liked it enough to order 10 more pairs, only to find them all sounding different to my first pair (usual V-shaped signature). I'm not 100% certain that my EDSE/ED2 was a case of bad QC, but the first DT3 definitely had a QC issue.

Quote:
Graph doesn't look very accurate after a fresh listen this morning. There is absolutely no way the highs roll off like that at 13k. That's something the ATE's and ATR's do. I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Definitely do take the measurement with a grain of salt. The Veritas can't really measure high frequencies, and literally every IEM I've measured drops to 0 shortly after 15khz. I'd say that it measures everything from around 60hz to 8khz decently (enough to compare different IEMs I have).

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #14,051 of 63,834
Definitely do take the measurement with a grain of salt. The Veritas can't really measure high frequencies, and literally every IEM I've measured drops to 0 shortly after 15khz. I'd say that it measures everything from around 60hz to 8khz decently (enough to compare different IEMs I have).

Wait, the ED2 and the EDSE are different? And the EDSE should be the better one?

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #14,052 of 63,834
Wait, the ED2 and the EDSE are different? And the EDSE should be the better one?

This I cannot say for certain. I purchased one of each from the same AliExpress store (I think it was the 'official KZ store' whose was shared a lot in this thread a while back). IIRC, the ED2 was always a few cents cheaper than the EDSE. They both looked exactly the same (both had the red nozzle filter cover thing), yet they sounded completely different. I have seen positive reviews for both the EDSE and ED2, so I want to say that one of my pairs was just faulty.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #14,053 of 63,834
This I cannot say for certain. I purchased one of each from the same AliExpress store (I think it was the 'official KZ store' whose was shared a lot in this thread a while back). IIRC, the ED2 was always a few cents cheaper than the EDSE. They both looked exactly the same (both had the red nozzle filter cover thing), yet they sounded completely different. I have seen positive reviews for both the EDSE and ED2, so I want to say that one of my pairs was just faulty.

On Amazon, the EDSEs are $9.98 and the ED2s are $11.90. Given the EDSE says sold by KZ headphones, and the ED2 is from a third party, I think I'll place my order for the EDSE

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #14,054 of 63,834
My ZST's start a deep cut of highs at around 17Khz. There is a slight dip at around 4.5k as well.

Not a fan of the spinfits for the ZST's either. I feel like the spinfits provide much better noise isolation but the sound doesn't feel as full. The starlines are more comfortable and less likely to slip in my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back