Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 28, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #13,081 of 63,834
  Reporting after couple of months using KZ ATE: I'm very impressed with them, very nice overall sound. I use them almost daily, mainly for commuting to and from work. Noise isolation is good, and they manage to stay in the ears (unlike some other iems I've used).

What other KZ IEMs would you guys suggest? This is one gigantic thread, and from what I managed to read KZ ZS3 and KZ ATR seem quite popular. Also, are ZS3 quality problems resolved (as from few months ago)?

edit: I should also say that I used several cheap foam tips (Comply clones from Ali) and they are quite nice with KZ ATE, more stable than the KZ default tips.

If you an manage a good fit on the ZS3 I'd say it could be the best I've heard in the line-up, but for me the ATE or ATE S is still the most fun. ATR gives you more re-400 like detail though if that's your bag... with better bass that is :)

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #13,082 of 63,834
Tnx for your input, everybody.

@harry501501 are people having fitting trouble with ZS3? How about those quality management problems from few months ago, when ZS3 debuted... Is that changed now?

@zabunny94 @fonkepala I'll be sure to try ED9 sometime later, for home use. I mostly use IEMs when commuting (and prefer as much as possible sound isolation), at home I prefer over-the-ears phones. But yes, there are indeed situations when non-isolating IEM comes handy.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #13,083 of 63,834
ZS3 is really good with heavy metal and symphonic metal.  These genres need to be listened to at a higher volume and the ATR has problems keeping up with the heavy bass sections at this louder volume.  The ZS3 performs well at the higher volumes with the drums hitting harder and the cymbals are crisper.  I've been using the KZ star type tips on the ZS3 and the seal is good without the vacuum effect.  Although I enjoy this genre at a loud level, I do limit how long I listen to it.  If I listen too long I find I have ringing in my ears for a couple of days.  ZS3 with heavy metal is like chocolate for me.  I love them both but have to limit them.

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #13,084 of 63,834
Is there some sort of comprehensive guide to this brand? I started looking into KZ after I broke my Xiaomi Hybrids, and it's hard to find any comprehensive comparisons between all of KZ's IEMs, since it seems like they release a new one every few months. I'm not entirely sure where to start with this brand.

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #13,085 of 63,834
It's like everyone has got a favorite KZ here, so there is a KZ for everyone. What may feel like bad earphone to you is actually a good one for others. For me I love the HDS3 that nobody else loves here, and do not find HDS1 any good. I find this really incredible! :D

@Kefkiroth I think you should ask B9 for help. He's the guide here. :p

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #13,086 of 63,834
@Kefkiroth

i suggest you start from ed9 because it has 2 sound signature, and you can decide which iem you should get next after you decide which ed9 filter you prefer

also, kz has 4 line consist of ZSx, ATx, EDx and HDSx
ZSx series, from what i see is kinda the flagship of KZ, except for zs3 all of them using dual driver (zs1,zs2 and zst)

EDx series kinda feels like the experimental line, most of the product are hit and miss

also notice that "QKZ" isn't actually "KZ"

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #13,088 of 63,834
  Many actually. Sansa Clips, Samsung i9000 with Voodoo, HP Elitebook, Compaq notebook, 80s HiFi amplifier...

Ok, I see. Not saying Your sources are bad and You are probably hearing right things... but... they aren`t quite adequate sources for me. Sansa Clip is quite good and don`t know about Your 80`s HiFi amp (output impedance etc.) but I consider my desk setup and modified DX50 quite a big leap over those (not trying to brag, just what I have heard with my own ears).

Ok, You saying it, I gotta get myself ZS3 also. Where is the most safest place to buy them (without balance and other quality issues)?

Have You tried Your ATR in modified configuration vs. ZS3? 

(i didn't open the backplate, have just used KZ's starline medium size tips). 

Well, You should really try them with open back + closed port hole too... along with starline tips
wink.gif

Hey guys, well I got my ATE (copper) today and have been doing some early comparisons with the ATE S. Early impressions... I'm not hearing much of a difference. It's going to take a lot of songs and swapping before I can confirm. Maybe I'm wanting to hear differences but the ATE seems a bit lighter in it its bass slam and I'm possibly hearing a bit of a difference on lead vocals. The ATE S may have a very slight increase in upper mids.

At this moment my favourites soundwise are 

ATE S > ATE > ATR > ZS3 > ZS1

Ok, quess I got to get ATE S version too along with ZS3  to make things clearer (for myself mainly). 
  ZS3 is really good with heavy metal and symphonic metal.  These genres need to be listened to at a higher volume and the ATR has problems keeping up with the heavy bass sections at this louder volume.  

Recommend also to try them modded with starline tips. It improves bass tightness and response while actually lowering volume levels.
This is the one thing I really like about modded ATR - I can easily listen them even 10-15 steps lower as my usual listening vol level @ my modded DX50 (high gain) while not sacrificing on bass/percussion tightness and thump. For example with **** 4in1 I have to keep it around 194-198 depending on record but with modded ATR I can enjoy same music with same overall detail level @ 180-186. Without mods and typical tips I would have to listen ATR @ 190-194.

Oct 29, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #13,089 of 63,834
Well, You should really try them with open back + closed port hole too... along with starline tips
wink.gif

I am bit skeptic of my modding skills hence afraid of opening the shells
tongue_smile.gif

At the moment, with the shells as it is using KZ Starline tips, ATR sounds very detailed (absolutely loving it) with tighter bass (plus enhanced treble) for me (clearest sounding of all KZs in my line up). Can't imagine what improvement I will have with further modding (physical ones like you have done) of these
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #13,090 of 63,834
  Ok, I see. Not saying Your sources are bad and You are probably hearing right things... but... they aren`t quite adequate sources for me. Sansa Clip is quite good and don`t know about Your 80`s HiFi amp (output impedance etc.) but I consider my desk setup and modified DX50 quite a big leap over those (not trying to brag, just what I have heard with my own ears).
wink.gif

Ok, quess I got to get ATE S version too along with ZS3  to make things clearer (for myself mainly). 
Recommend also to try them modded with starline tips. It improves bass tightness and response while actually lowering volume levels.
This is the one thing I really like about modded ATR - I can easily listen them even 10-15 steps lower as my usual listening vol level @ my modded DX50 (high gain) while not sacrificing on bass/percussion tightness and thump. For example with **** 4in1 I have to keep it around 194-198 depending on record but with modded ATR I can enjoy same music with same overall detail level @ 180-186. Without mods and typical tips I would have to listen ATR @ 190-194.

Apart from impedance mismatches and high noise floors I have never heard a difference between all of my sources, so I dont have a problem with you doing it instead. :) Do you have the HDS1 though?

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #13,091 of 63,834

Apart from impedance mismatches and high noise floors I have never heard a difference between all of my sources, so I dont have a problem with you doing it instead. :) Do you have the HDS1 though?

And you shouldn't notice any difference.  It's unfortunate that so few members ever wander over to the sound science section of the forum.

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #13,092 of 63,834
  Hey guys, well I got my ATE (copper) today and have been doing some early comparisons with the ATE S. Early impressions... I'm not hearing much of a difference. It's going to take a lot of songs and swapping before I can confirm. Maybe I'm wanting to hear differences but the ATE seems a bit lighter in it its bass slam and I'm possibly hearing a bit of a difference on lead vocals. The ATE S may have a very slight increase in upper mids.

At this moment my favourites soundwise are 

ATE S > ATE > ATR > ZS3 > ZS1

build wise

ATR/ATE > ATE S > ZS1 > ZS3

The ZS3 would be a serious contender for first place if it wasn't for it's build as i reckon with the perfect seal it could be an excellent sounding IEM. I am using the exact same sized foam tips with all of them, a cheap set i got from Amazon which although won't last long are just perfect in size for my ears.

My only question is all of them came in the same little black rectangle cardboard box with purple writing, except for the ATE which came in a US police badge shaped plastic box?

EDIT : Spelling

I'm starting to see how subjective the art of ear phone reviewing is. Although I only have the KZ-ATE ZS1 and ZN1, I would definitely rate the ZS1 over the KZ-ATE. I would say they all have very similar sound signature with the ZS1 and ZN1 having better instrument separation but with the same fantastic midrange as the ATEs for vocals and the lively sound. 

On a side note it was kind of interesting comparing my ZN1 to my co workers BOSE Quiet Comfort($449 CAD). The BOSE was better in that had even better instrument separation and the treble was sometimes so high it was sibilant and annoying to listen to. Yes the BOSE were still better but not $420 better than the KZ-ZN1. Another co worker who just standing on the sidelines was at first like "I am going to buy those BOSE" then after she listen to the ZN1 she was like ummmm maybe I'm going to buy those instead lol 

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #13,095 of 63,834
Well, You should really try them with open back + closed port hole too... along with starline tips:wink:

Hey there! Just bought a zs3, where can I buy starline tips?
Thanks,
Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kae0
Back