Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 23, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #12,271 of 63,796
My ZST arrived today.  I do not want to make the same mistake as per ED12 where i made too quick a review but after burn in the music actually improved quite a bit..

so for now.. just pictures :D

side by side with ZS3

The same cable used in ED12 (side by side)

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #12,272 of 63,796
i've been spending more time with the ed7, which i previously ranked last among my 7 or 8 kzs. damnit if the things haven't grown on me alot--the bass has tightened a bit and there's a really clean-sounding high end and spaciousness to these--acoustic guitars and female vocals are very natural. i  a/b'd them with the $59 shozy zero, which have their virtues but actually sound a little compressed and less transparent in comparison. frustrating hobby, this.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #12,273 of 63,796
  i've been spending more time with the ed7, which i previously ranked last among my 7 or 8 kzs. damnit if the things haven't grown on me alot--the bass has tightened a bit and there's a really clean-sounding high end and spaciousness to these--acoustic guitars and female vocals are very natural. i  a/b'd them with the $59 shozy zero, which have their virtues but actually sound a little compressed and less transparent in comparison. frustrating hobby, this.

Heh, welcome to the club! :)
I hated my KZ ATE until recently. I fitted on Complys for the first time! Complete isolation, and the sound immediately grew taller and wider. The plodding mids became light & nimble. Even the loose as goose bass tightened a bit. It was such a revelation.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #12,274 of 63,796
Look like I'm on the same track. I put Comply's on my KZ ED8's today and I'm really enjoying it a lot all of a sudden. Maybe a secret deal between Comply's and KZ? 
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #12,275 of 63,796

It's really tricky to control for all the factors necessary to make useful comparisons.  Credit goes to anyone who makes the effort to do A/B comparisons because it takes a lot of concentration once you get passed differences in EQ.  I can only make general observations most of the time.  It's why folks like Joker are so valuable to the community. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #12,277 of 63,796
The ATE is really growing on me and is close to my ideal sound signature if not for a couple of slight EQ tweaks.  I wish it isolated a little better and the fit isn't as good as I thought it might be in pics.

I'm probably going to pick up a ZS3 and an ED9 in the coming weeks.  Maybe a backup pair of ATE (ATR now?). 

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #12,282 of 63,796
  TBH none really.

ATE with a strong amp on high gain and LOTS of sub bass EQ honestly.

I currently have the ATE and a Fiio E12. I really enjoy them, but was seeing people claiming the the SZ1 and 2 have a lot of bass. I'm not a pure basshead (anymore), but i do enjoy the occasional thump. I'm still kicking myself for returning my M50x and just keeping the ProMK2

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #12,283 of 63,796
I never tried either of those so I can't say for sure. But KZ always uses small drivers, like 6mm thru 8mm i don't even think they make a 9mm driver anymore. They'll never be able to hang with 14mm, 15mm, 16mm dynamic drivers which are gonna push a crap ton more bass with zero effort. IT takes heavy EQ and amping to get a 8mm driver ATE to get rumbly.

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #12,284 of 63,796

Users who are viewing this thread

Back