Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 21, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #5,926 of 63,803
you're listening to KZ, which are impressive, but still entry level fuzzy IEM's. I would think you would get more bang for your buck if you moved up to $60 or $100 price bracket even if you had to downgrade your DAC.

Don`t understand exactly what You mean about "fuzzy" but with my source gear and modifications I can`t even think word "fuzzy" about ATE
rolleyes.gif
Let me say this - modded DX50 + modded ATE is basically same good setup as my desktop setup with Fidelio X1 (check profile). And these are not only words but I`ve done A/B comparing. Though, should do it again since this last ATE mod sounds even better (previous comparison was done with grill-mod silver ATEs).
Pretty impressive for ~10$ IEM vs. ~200$ over-ear headphone?!
Yes, I would probably get some improvement in 60-100$ price range... but... like I have said before, when audiophile meets with musicality and what You hear is perfect for Yourself - I see no point moving "upwards". At some point it gets pointless. All that matters is personal subjective impression/opinion. And I do think "audiophile" market is filled with overpriced and over-hyped gear/opinions. I have done lot of reading impressions/reviews and IF I would move upwards, it would be probably Fidue A73... but... I really do not need it
wink.gif

IMHSO

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #5,927 of 63,803
I tested many, many sub $100 headphones and the ATE are easily among my favorites. Comparing them with the common, asian bang-for-buck recommendations:

Pistons v2 are muddy bass bombers
Pistons v3 sound hella confused and has harshly rolled off treble

Vsonic IEMs are generally too bright and break way too easily.

Havi B3 Pro 1 need a crapton of power and also have some QC issues.

Soundmagic E10 are too dark and mellow.

Don't know the Ostry KC06(A)

Most of these are significantly more expensive than KZ IEMs as well and aren't even built much better. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,928 of 63,803
I can think of many ways I'd describe my ED9's or ED10's but fuzzy is not one of them.

BTW My Edse's are on the burn-in station but I can't help it...I keep taking them off and listening to them. I really enjoy them with more simple material as they get a little flustered with complex passages but they are an excellent value for the $.

I ordered a second ED10 and ED9 for backup just in case they fail for some reason. Being so inexpensive it's a no brainer to me.

My son has the Philips SHE3580 which I gave him and he tried the ED10... looks like I'll need to order another set cuz I haven't seem them since
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #5,929 of 63,803
  I can think of many ways I'd describe my ED9's or ED10's but fuzzy is not one of them.

BTW My Edse's are on the burn-in station but I can't help it...I keep taking them off and listening to them. I really enjoy them with more simple material as they get a little flustered with complex passages but they are an excellent value for the $.

I ordered a second ED10 and ED9 for backup just in case they fail for some reason. Being so inexpensive it's a no brainer to me.

My son has the Philips SHE3580 which I gave him and he tried the ED10... looks like I'll need to order another set cuz I haven't seem them since
ksc75smile.gif

I also gave both of my older two pairs of SHE3580s after trying them out a while back and being really impressed. What's nuts about the ED10s (although I haven't received mine yet) is that even with shipping they cost less than the Philips do, right out of my local CVS pharmacy.

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #5,930 of 63,803
which are impressive, but still entry level fuzzy IEM's. I would think you would get more bang for your buck if you moved up to $60 or $100 price bracket even if you had to downgrade your DAC.

Not fuzzy in the least (ED9/ED10) out my lowest source, my phone..next source up Macbook Air with Audirvana+  - 'very good' considering it is off the Cirrus DAC.

So for someone on a budget, students etc. These IEMs are killer for the price.

On another note, regarding my ED10, that really in-your-face treble has died down, still A|B'ing them vs ED9 but the one thing I notice with ED9 vs ED10 is the rich tonality on ED9/gold nozzles on my audio chain anyway. I think I'll be holding on to ED10 anyway for exercise vs gifting them on. But man o man, was that initial treble sound O.T.T.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #5,931 of 63,803
Hey guys, since ANVs are being discontinued I want to know if I should get one of the last now they are still available.

I love the ED9's creamy sound and also like the Havis, although its soundstage doesnt mean anything to me. Is the ANV a must-get for a cheap B3P1 sound? I hate shrill treble though, and for that I am not sure if the ANVs will be what Im looking for. Better isolation than ED9 would be nice too, do they offer that? Im after a flat - as - possible sound, prefer less over more treble as I said. I listen to many sorts of music, mostly classical, country/folk (Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen etc.).

Could they be a Havi replacement (not a critical listener) and more important: how do I know if I get the older, less good ANV or the newer 2014 version that should be better?

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #5,932 of 63,803

ksc75smile.gif

ED9 must be great out the Bushmaster Mk2. Fairly natural presentation + depth/width through that DAC was great.

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #5,933 of 63,803

ED9 must be great out the Bushmaster Mk2. Fairly natural presentation + depth/width through that DAC was great.

I do use the BM with the Kz's as a DAC but I run them from the Capella amp. The Capella has a gain knob which I find helpful...the sound is surprisingly good. Without a doubt in my short IEM journey the Kz's have the best sq and presentation.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #5,934 of 63,803
i don't know if i have really bad luck or i got defective units but my ed9 and ed10 cables are not working. on the ed10 only high frequencies get thru and on the ed9 the left channel works half the time. im hoping someone here can help me get the ed10 units open. i don't want to damage the casing but i seriously need to replace that wire ! they appear to be made of metal with very little lip to get a utility knife into and work the edge to loosen the cover. em i going to have to resort to reordering or using power tools to get this thing to open? .. i know i should probably just replace the plug but i think that i might aswell do the whole cable .. since its only been two days since i got it and already this has happened .. i want to avoid more problems with the cable ..

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #5,935 of 63,803
Loving my new set of ED9 out my Cayin C5. I actually melted my last pair due to opamp upgrade overload.

Extreme burn-in.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #5,936 of 63,803

I do use the BM with the Kz's as a DAC but I run them from the Capella amp. The Capella has a gain knob which I find helpful...the sound is surprisingly good. Without a doubt in my short IEM journey the Kz's have the best sq and presentation.

Did Stan say "SEND IT BACK" if you had any issues at the start ?

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #5,938 of 63,803
Aug 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #5,940 of 63,803
  i don't know if i have really bad luck or i got defective units but my ed9 and ed10 cables are not working. on the ed10 only high frequencies get thru and on the ed9 the left channel works half the time. im hoping someone here can help me get the ed10 units open. i don't want to damage the casing but i seriously need to replace that wire ! they appear to be made of metal with very little lip to get a utility knife into and work the edge to loosen the cover. em i going to have to resort to reordering or using power tools to get this thing to open? .. i know i should probably just replace the plug but i think that i might aswell do the whole cable .. since its only been two days since i got it and already this has happened .. i want to avoid more problems with the cable ..

Try them with an other player cause may be it is a CTIA OMTP issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back