Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #56,671 of 63,834
KZ desperately needs to up their game on accessories, the clock is ticking. They over-deliver on cheap iems but expensive ones have basically the same cable (maybe a silver cable, but essentially the same), same box, no case and the same 3 white tips.

This is what stopped me buying anything more expensive than the KZ ZS10 Pro, I don't think ZAX deserve $20 more with basically the same accessories.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #56,672 of 63,834
KZ desperately needs to up their game on accessories, the clock is ticking. They over-deliver on cheap iems but expensive ones have basically the same cable (maybe a silver cable, but essentially the same), same box, no case and the same 3 white tips.

This is what stopped me buying anything more expensive than the KZ ZS10 Pro, I don't think ZAX deserve $20 more with basically the same accessories.

well, the ZAX is 1DD+7BA. ZS10 is 1DD+4BA. That's a pretty big difference in driver count.

Tips and cables are such a personal thing that I'd prefer not paying extra for a bunch of stuff I'm probably not going to use anyway. For sure there are some IEM I've looked at and quickly skipped over due to

1) Over packaging with lots of expensive printed graphics using metallic inks
2) tons of useless accessories I'll definitely never use
3) fancy / semi-custom looking shell covers that do nothing for the sound

There are numerous single DD IEM and 4BA IEM with this format selling for over $175 ... I'd just rather not pay for all that.

Sep 20, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #56,673 of 63,834
Not knowing you budget and preferences, just few points:

ZSN pro and ZSN pro x are not much of upgrades relative to ZSN.

It would be hard to go wrong with DQ6, one of the most recommended KZ and great for the money.

ZSX, ZAX and recent ZAS will bring you more resolution for more money.

All are not demanding on sources.
Thank you for these recommendations. The entire KZ line is essentially all in my budget range so even the ZSX/ZAX/ZAS are within reach. Preferences I don't have anything specific other than something close to the sound of the ZSN with decent bass response. I usually prefer foam tips which have done a lot for tamping down the sibilance on all the KZ's I've used especially with the ZSN where it was almost necessary.

I'll be taking a closer look at all of these recommendations and go from there. This at least helped me narrow down my options quite a bit. :)

Sep 20, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #56,674 of 63,834
Thank you for these recommendations. The entire KZ line is essentially all in my budget range so even the ZSX/ZAX/ZAS are within reach. Preferences I don't have anything specific other than something close to the sound of the ZSN with decent bass response. I usually prefer foam tips which have done a lot for tamping down the sibilance on all the KZ's I've used especially with the ZSN where it was almost necessary.

I'll be taking a closer look at all of these recommendations and go from there. This at least helped me narrow down my options quite a bit. :)

The latest KZs come with a narrower nozzle. I think they are @ 3.55mm or close to that. I've been able to put 3mm Etymotic and Westone silicon on them, but I have trouble getting the foamies on.

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #56,676 of 63,834
How durable are the plastic connectors on KZ IEMs? I wanted to try the new ZEX (and maybe even the ZAS or AST) but my right ear has the super power to bend any standard 2pin cable so I'm afraid they won't last long

The QDC design is such that stress is on the molded plastic plug, not the wires. It's a way better design IMO than 2 pin or mmcx.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #56,677 of 63,834
How durable are the plastic connectors on KZ IEMs? I wanted to try the new ZEX (and maybe even the ZAS or AST) but my right ear has the super power to bend any standard 2pin cable so I'm afraid they won't last long
The QDC protrusion can crack and the pins or the entire connector module can work loose. I had this happen with a set of CCA CKX. It's less likely to happen if you're using the correct cable connection type with it, so it actually seats onto the connector, but it's still a bit of a problem compared to the recessed 2-pin.

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #56,678 of 63,834
Original KZ QDC plastic connectors cracked a lot!
Their new generation starting from ASX/ASF is definitely more robust, a different better-quality plastic.
Dissassembling NRA, I could not not take the connector out of the shell, so I would be really surprised to see problems with these connectors! In general, NRA are darn-well built!

P. S. I ordered ZEX as well, my only excuse was the colours - loved blue and gray :)
Though, as mentioned by KZ - the black ones are produced and shipped first, then gold, then blue, so 2-3 weeks before shipping easily.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #56,679 of 63,834
oh crazy. I haven't had any issue from the older C12s, but will keep an eye on them. The stock 2 pin cable broke on my GK10; I have another cable for it, so it wasn't a big deal. I haven't had any issue from the KZs. I don't swap cables that often, admittedly, but they've seemed sturdy. Most of the cable providers on AliExpress offer QDC types fitment hasn't been a problem on the balanced cables I've ordered.

P. S. I ordered ZEX as well, my only excuse was the colours - loved blue and gray :)
Though, as mentioned by KZ - the black ones are produced and shipped first, then gold, then blue, so 2-3 weeks before shipping easily.

I went for the black ... I'm thinking the depression in the logo would look pretty sweet with a red inlay. Gotta figure out what material to use.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #56,680 of 63,834

i think they put the difference in price on the IEM itself, driver count, materials, etc.
personally i prefer to purchase KZs without accessories if possible

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #56,682 of 63,834
i think they put the difference in price on the IEM itself, driver count, materials, etc.
personally i prefer to purchase KZs without accessories if possible
I rather prefer KZ to focus their budget in the IEM builds+good cable+3 sets of decent tips.
A simple pouch or small IEM carrier would be nice touch tough.

But things like unnecessary metal eartips bracket, brand name metal pin, and such things is something that i don't expect from KZ $20~80 price point.
Tough at $100+ with AST, at least i want great cable to come with it or more types of eartips

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #56,684 of 63,834
KZ EDX Pro
My first impression :
No harsh sounding, smoother then previous edx.
Vocal is not harsh also.
Sound stage is not wide, just enough
The "wow" bass in this price range.

The highs are just enough with stock cable (not very extend), has to change the cable to get good highs

very good iem overall

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #56,685 of 63,834
Tips and cables are such a personal thing that I'd prefer not paying extra for a bunch of stuff I'm probably not going to use anyway. For sure there are some IEM I've looked at and quickly skipped over due to

1) Over packaging with lots of expensive printed graphics using metallic inks
2) tons of useless accessories I'll definitely never use
3) fancy / semi-custom looking shell covers that do nothing for the sound

There are numerous single DD IEM and 4BA IEM with this format selling for over $175 ... I'd just rather not pay for all that.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audiosense-dt300.25383/reviews

This AS DT300 is a good example of what I'm talking about. As a budget oriented manufacturer, I think KZ's products are a welcome reprieve from this kind of presentation. I'm certain that the DT300 sounds great per the reviews, but I personally find the packaging and accessories to be unnecessary. IMO it should be selling for $140, not $220 (EU prices after converting Euro prices to USD and adding VAT).

Large packaging in solid cardboard box. Big enough to package some kind of ruggedized, huge water resistant case (why?...) Many individually wrapped packets of different style tips. Gold flecks in the cover plates. Only has 3 BA per side and look to be bass light. Cable looks nearly identical to the GK10. For me, all of this extra stuff would go into a drawer and quickly be forgotten. I am also not totally sold on this design that routes sound tubes directly from the drivers, leaving your ear canal to be the mixing chamber.

As an example of someone that I think that gets it right ... Final Audio.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-audio-a3000.24730/

FA strikes the right balance in my opinion as a low cost premium set with the A3000 ($130) and A4000 ($160). It comes with a minimal but still complete kit for the money. I like the no frills modern, matte finish on the IEM itself. Lower cost PET diaphragm material on the drivers are combined with what seems to have been a quite involved engineering and manufacturing process. Big chambers for mixing and dampening to achieve an optimal tune. It seems like every dollar of cost is well represented in the hardware. Big tech, little price - much like KZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back