Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 15, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #51,677 of 63,834
When can we expect some first impressions of the ASF?

They haven’t even started shipping them yet. Then you have the normal shipping times on top of that. So I’d say it’s going to be a month at least before we start seeing impressions rolling in.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #51,679 of 63,834
Yeah, better to hear some sibilances, than to have a bad treble implementation like CA16. After this terrible experience, I'll wait for a review or at least measurements (ASF, ASX)

I admit I'm weird and I'd rather the treble soften a bit if it means I have albums I can enjoy now that I otherwise couldn't. Maybe if the net loss was more than the net gain it'd be a problem, but I can definitely put up with some softer treble than I'd like if the trade is not having nails in my ears on other albums.

I'm heavily curious about the ASX. I'm aware of the general impression of why DDs are better for the lows, but the ol' Shure SE846 shows that you can have a thunderous bass region just with 2 BAs so it's more about implementation than precisely what the speakers are.

Right now I'm feeling in the mood to pick up my "non-flagship flagship" whether it's a $100 KZ offering or a $300-ish set from another company.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #51,680 of 63,834
I admit I'm weird and I'd rather the treble soften a bit if it means I have albums I can enjoy now that I otherwise couldn't. Maybe if the net loss was more than the net gain it'd be a problem, but I can definitely put up with some softer treble than I'd like if the trade is not having nails in my ears on other albums.
I actually agree with you. I rather have a bit lower treble quantity than a bit too much treble quantity (that in most cases leads to sharpness or sibilance).

Because if the treble is a bit sharp, you cant fully relax while listening to music because you are always on the lookout for a track that is sharp.

But of course there are some exception where even if the iem has tons of treble quantity, it isnt sharp at all. That is the case for example with the LZ A6/A7 and the Tin Hifi P1.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #51,681 of 63,834
I've had the ZAX for about 3 weeks now. Not sure if it's just my ears or fit, but I get a small bit of driver flex on the left side with my pair on insertion. I haven't noticed any change of its sound despite this. I paired it with a Tripowin Zonie 16 cable but the included silver cable is very good too. With the Zonie 16, the mids push a little more forward but the treble takes a backseat compared to the included silver cable. But I mostly prefer the feel of the Zonie 16 and its chin slider. I'd be quite happy with just the silver cable alone if I didn't like or have a need for a chin slider.

Swapping between the ZAX, ZS10 Pro and the CCA C12 - I'd say the ZS10 Pro is a full step back and the C12 is a half step back from the ZAX. The ZAX just seems more resolving especially in the treble region - cymbals sound more crisp and real, almost approaching what cymbals sound like on my Etymotic ER3SE. I prefer the tonality of the mids on my Tin Audio P1 but I prefer the treble of the ZAX. Bass is just enough on the ZAX to keep everything from being uncluttered and seems to strike a good balance. Its that kind of bass that feels like it's there when it needs to be.The C12 has a bit more punch to it in the bass region, a bit more fun to listen to while being almost as resolving as the ZAX but definitely benefits more from a "better cable" whereas this isn't so much the case, at least with what cables I have, with the ZAX.

With the other IEMs that I own that are $100 plus, these are definitely in league with them - not that price is everything but you are definitely getting your money's worth. Overall, I'm just really happy with these. I can't really say much more than what most have said on this thread. I'm quite curious about the ASX. I'm hoping it retains or improves upon the treble of the ZAX and has faster bass since it's all BA and won't have the same power requirements like the P1.

20200919_112510-01.jpeg

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #51,685 of 63,834
ASX was shipped by KZ on Oct13-th. Two weeks is the most optimistic to get it for me in Canada with the noble pace of Canada Post :)

I thought it was Oct 31. I guess I mixed the dates up.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #51,687 of 63,834
I thought it was Oct 31. I guess I mixed the dates up.
They planned to ship around Oct 15, then the shipping on Oct 13 is real (not just the shipping numbers created), I was among the first 10 to order ASX :)

I may get ASF later.
At the moment ASF seem relatively less attractive compared to the long-awaited 20-driver (that was first rumored on March 1, 2019) , and then I hope that CCA will follow with their analogue :)

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #51,688 of 63,834
Mine (ASX) has been shipped and if the shipping time is about the same time as my ZAX, it will be here in about 9 days from today.

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #51,689 of 63,834
The KZ ASF looks interesting too, but I usually prefer a DD along with the BA's. The ASF has 5 BA's while the ZAX has 1DD+7BA's, wild, right?

How did KZ do such an amazing job merging all of those BA's and DD in the ZAX, and get the result to be so smooth - usually so many BA's sound like a mis-matched mess to me. In comparison the KZ ZAX makes it look easy.

Meanwhile, the KZ ASX looks wild, 20 BA's!

Oh yeah, the ASX looks like a beast! That is also the one I am interested in. I mixed that up with the ASF, heh.

Sidenote: If you like AS10's sound, except for its dark signature, I recommend you invest in a $5 KZ silver cable and give that a try. If it's still not sparkly enough, then go for more trebly IEM from KZ/CCA product range; there's lots to choose from.

I have the gold/silver cable. Which did not make a difference from what I can tell, though I did not compare it thoroughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back