Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #47,446 of 63,834
Ok just got kz zsx and in my ears!
Heads up there were reversed in the display packaging left is right and right is left.

This is my first set of KZ's that may be normal for this company? I don't know

The earpieces themselves are labeled correctly. The right earpiece is packaged in the spot that is labeled Right.... so there is no error. Maybe it is how they have always done it... I never noticed. Most of my boxes are long gone so I can't check.

Some DAPs like Cayin N3 have almost no soundstage when used in their usual mode (reading files from sd card), so keep that in mind

Out of all my DAPs I have used my Cayin N3 the most over the past couple of years. I have never noticed a problem with soundstage. I use the Super Slow filter setting but I doubt that has anything to do with soundstage.

If you don't like their sound with your current sources - you'll just waste your time.
Also, tip rolling.

It is amazing how much difference the tips will make because it can be the difference between having no seal or having a perfect seal. Fortunately the KZ Starlines work well for me much of the time. I have bought those big bags full of them from ebay for use on other iems. I have a pair on my most expensive IEM - the IMR R1 Zenith. Many of the other owners of that IEM are buying really expensive tips that I had never even heard of.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #47,447 of 63,834
The earpieces themselves are labeled correctly. The right earpiece is packaged in the spot that is labeled Right.... so there is no error. Maybe it is how they have always done it... I never noticed. Most of my boxes are long gone so I can't check.

Out of all my DAPs I have used my Cayin N3 the most over the past couple of years. I have never noticed a problem with soundstage. I use the Super Slow filter setting but I doubt that has anything to do with soundstage.

That means you never tried N3 in usb DAC mode or as a bluetooth receiver.
I also use super slow, others are too harsh.
Everything is relative and relative to mono of course soundstage is there, but it's nothing compared to something that will make your jaw drop a bit.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #47,448 of 63,834
That means you never tried N3 in usb DAC mode or as a bluetooth receiver.
I also use super slow, others are too harsh.
Everything is relative and relative to mono of course soundstage is there, but it's nothing compared to something that will make your jaw drop a bit.

You are correct. I have no need to use my N3 as a USB DAC. I have a Fubar HD dac/amp on my desktop. Also I do not use bluetooth. In fact, I choose not to own a smartphone. As much tech as I have... lol.

That is interesting what you say about the other filters being too harsh. I just went with super slow from the beginning without trying the others because it was said to be the most natural and best suited for my music.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #47,449 of 63,834
Edit: and the Tin T2 for good measure. I like the zs10 pro, but the T2 just melt away in my ears, I space out and forget I'm listening to music lol and suddenly it's 3 songs later when I was trying to do a comparison
To me the Tin T2 are THE best proof that we all must hear very differently. Quite a few folks here seem to like their set a LOT but no matter what I tried (extended burn-in, tips, sources, cables) they sound distant and veiled to my ears with a very tight, limited soundstage and I feel disconnected from whatever track I run through them. I even bought a second pair to check but nope .... they're the only sets in my stash that make me feel that disconnected - I'd even pick the EDR1 over them, not to mention the MH755 - YMMV.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #47,450 of 63,834
Some people say the steelie vocals in KZ's have been fixed ever since the ZS10 Pro and ZSN Pro came out. However, I read a comment that this sound problem wasn't fixed on the ZS10 Pro.

Has the problem been fixed or not? Or, has the problem just been minimized?

#Iwon'tbuyanotherKZuntiltheysoundasgoodasotherbrands.

maybe they minimized the problem but just by minimum reduction too, dunno a lot of people say they are OK, but my ZSN pro and ZS10 pro still far away from being natural timbre, its very steely sounded from the first moment i put them on my ears. not being picky since they are really good for the price, very good technicalities , but some other budget hybrid dont have these steely sound. but looks like they did great with ZSX, im waiting now

Hi welcome back to the KZ forums haha! I thought u have left for the BQEYZ side!

Personally I would say the ZS10 Pro treble has some artificial timbre, especially in acoustic instruments. Voices somewhat less so, but it is still apparent if u do an A/B with a dedicated DD IEM like say the Toneking Ninetails or even Sony MH755.
I heard this timbre issue is improved in the new ZSX (KZ terminator) though.

yeah hopefully, I'll confirm with that myself. ZSX ordered!

Yes, I didn't hear any timbre issue with the vocal on the ZS10pro, but cymbals is pretty noticeable. The ZSX has a very nice and natural cymbal sound.
nicee.. Im joining the club buddy! thanks to you, my wallet hates you

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #47,451 of 63,834
To me the Tin T2 are THE best proof that we all must hear very differently. Quite a few folks here seem to like their set a LOT but no matter what I tried (extended burn-in, tips, sources, cables) they sound distant and veiled to my ears with a very tight, limited soundstage and I feel disconnected from whatever track I run through them. I even bought a second pair to check but nope .... they're the only sets in my stash that make me feel that disconnected - I'd even pick the EDR1 over them, not to mention the MH755 - YMMV.

I had issues with the T2 until I reverse cable'd them and started doing a lot of ear tip rolling. I settled on KZ starline tips filled with foam. Sounds kinda funny but having the more expensive Tin Audio P1 is making me appreciate the T2 a whole lot more.

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #47,452 of 63,834
I had issues with the T2 until I reverse cable'd them and started doing a lot of ear tip rolling. I settled on KZ starline tips filled with foam. Sounds kinda funny but having the more expensive Tin Audio P1 is making me appreciate the T2 a whole lot more.

Yeah but there are mixed reviews about P1 unlike highly praises for their T2. Love my T2 too for acoustics and vocals

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #47,454 of 63,834

It is amazing how much difference the tips will make because it can be the difference between having no seal or having a perfect seal. Fortunately the KZ Starlines work well for me much of the time. I have bought those big bags full of them from ebay for use on other iems. I have a pair on my most expensive IEM - the IMR R1 Zenith. Many of the other owners of that IEM are buying really expensive tips that I had never even heard of.

Yes the earpieces are labeled correctly but the R earpiece was in package in the side marked left. I just confirmed it again this morning

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #47,455 of 63,834
Yeah but there are mixed reviews about P1 unlike highly praises for their T2. Love my T2 too for acoustics and vocals

I got the P1 pretty early on and ordered from MD the morning it went live. I got them because they are planar and knew they'd be a kind of specialty IEM of sorts. I haven't heard the KPE, KXXS or the Oxygen but I was surprised that the P1 has been so controversial. The T2 took a long time to grow on me just because of fit issues but it's heavy in my my IEM rotation now. Since this is the KZ thread, I'm preferring the ZS10 Pro, ZS10 and ZS7 more for like hip-hop, electronic and ambient music and the Tin Audio stuff more for classical and jazz music, soul and r&b.

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #47,456 of 63,834
Yes the earpieces are labeled correctly but the R earpiece was in package in the side marked left. I just confirmed it again this morning

All KZ/CCA are package that way with the wire connectors facing each other. It makes for a more no pleasing display of the earpieces.

Has anyone compared the ZSX directly to the ZS7? Has the king been dethroned by the ZSX or does the ZS7 still possess qualities that warrant owning it?

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #47,457 of 63,834
All KZ/CCA are package that way with the wire connectors facing each other. It makes for a more no pleasing display of the earpieces.

Has anyone compared the ZSX directly to the ZS7? Has the king been dethroned by the ZSX or does the ZS7 still possess qualities that warrant owning it?
I have not heard the ZSX, but have the CCA C12 on order. The ZS7 is my favourite KZ so far and I will compare it to the C12 when it arrives. The ZS7 has a "magic" about it which makes me return to it often. The new KBEAR KB06 is a kind of "ZS7 lite" possessing many of its qualities and a more forward midrange.

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #47,458 of 63,834

our friend @voicemaster have both ZS7 and ZSX and he said ZSX are ZS7 bass with ZS10 PRO's mids and highs with more refined sound and without that artificial steely timbre. He said the best KZ too. cant wait mine to arrive.

edit : adding PRO to ZS10

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #47,459 of 63,834
our friend @voicemaster have both ZS7 and ZSX and he said ZSX are ZS7 bass with ZS10 mids and highs with more refined sound and without that artificial steely timbre. He said the best KZ too. cant wait mine to arrive.
you mean the regular ZS10 not the pro? the mid is ok but the high is not good

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #47,460 of 63,834
our friend @voicemaster have both ZS7 and ZSX and he said ZSX are ZS7 bass with ZS10 mids and highs with more refined sound and without that artificial steely timbre. He said the best KZ too. cant wait mine to arrive.

Not as much of bass quantity, but it does goes deeper and more detailed than zs10pro. The zsx is more similar sounding to zs10pro than zs7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back