Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #47,371 of 63,834
Please do! I'm curious myself. I'm kinda kicking myself now, that I didn't try to mess with the plug insertion force a bit more. Honestly though, I didn't want to break it, or the plugs on my cables. This device seems so fragile, with it's mostly plastic build.

Just tested the 2.5mm balanced jack on my ES100, and yeah, it takes an unusually high (compared to my Onkyo DAP, FiiO and DUNU adapters) amount of force to click the cable all the way in. I can see how that might throw someone off who hadn't experienced that much jack resistance before.

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #47,373 of 63,834
Just tested the 2.5mm balanced jack on my ES100, and yeah, it takes an unusually high (compared to my Onkyo DAP, FiiO and DUNU adapters) amount of force to click the cable all the way in. I can see how that might throw someone off who hadn't experienced that much jack resistance before.
Good to know...and much thanks for posting this info. I think I may have just returned a perfectly good unit because I didn't exert enough force on the jack. Wow. I feel like a total dumbass now. At the same time, I wish Radsone might make some kind of statement, either on their website or here on headfi, with regards to this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who babies their gear to last, and would balk at using significant force to literally jam the plug into this tiny plastic unit. Guess I'll reorder the ES100 next month. I won't be as gentle with it next time around.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #47,375 of 63,834
So, which of the many KZs have good/acceptable tonality / timbre ?

Asking because I have, and really like, the ****.

Do u find the timbre of instruments on the **** artificial? The KZs ain't as bad timbre wise IMHO.
I know some people ain't particular about timbre, but maybe I'm OCD about this cause I play in a band.
I listen to a lot of jazz and instrumental and I personally can't use the **** for these genres, YMMV. Otherwise for EDM, pop, rock, I am very happy to use the ****.

I own a few sets of KZ (the most recent being the ZS10 Pro), and they all suffer from slight timbre issues with orchestral instruments, but they are still better timbre wise than the ****. From early reviews of the ZSX that just released, the reviewers said the timbre issues are fixed, but I haven't listened to it personally.

If you are aiming for a budget CHIFI with good timbre/tonality, I would recommend the Toneking Nine Tails, one of the best natural organic timbre I have heard so far.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #47,377 of 63,834
So, which of the many KZs have good/acceptable tonality / timbre ?

Asking because I have, and really like, the ****.
If you want I can tell you my 0.02$.
Timbre and tonality wise, my favourite IEMs from KZ are EDR1. Then immediately followed by ED9 and ZS6. ZS10 Pro is technically awesome but it's more of a technical approach compared to the EDR1 for example.

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #47,379 of 63,834
So ZSX extends higher than ZS10 Pro? Once people start complaining about highs, I know it's for me. In about 6 months those same people complaining about highs will think it's the greatest thing ever, mark my words :)

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #47,380 of 63,834
anybody here got equalizer apo presets for kz iems?
looking for zs4 settings in particular

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #47,381 of 63,834
If you want I can tell you my 0.02$.
Timbre and tonality wise, my favourite IEMs from KZ are EDR1. Then immediately followed by ED9 and ZS6. ZS10 Pro is technically awesome but it's more of a technical approach compared to the EDR1 for example.

EDR1 are hidden gems for sure. $3 is bonkers, and very few earphones offer that level of bang for the buck value. The only other one that comes to mind is the Sony MH755 for $5.

KZ is nuts for not updating the EDR1. They could tweak the shell design/color, include some Starlines, and replace that gummy old style fixed ‘gut’ cable with a 2-pin removable design. They’d sell a boat load of them.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #47,382 of 63,834
Yeah, KZ would do well to have a go at the DD IEM. I've not heard the EDR1 but the ED9 is a revelation for the money. To my mind BAs in budget IEMs all sound slightly off for timbre. Kz definitely have some nous so to have a £30ish DD IEM with removable cables and the sound of the ED9 only "more" would be a real winner.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #47,383 of 63,834
I have both of them coming. My ZSX are in the states. The C12 are still sitting in China. So I’ll have at least a week with my ZSX by the time my C12 arrive.
I’ll give initial impressions hopefully within 24 hrs of having them in my hands.

The cage match between the ZSX, C12 and V90 will be interesting. The new Tool album is waiting to give them all a good workout.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #47,385 of 63,834
EDR1 are hidden gems for sure. $3 is bonkers, and very few earphones offer that level of bang for the buck value. The only other one that comes to mind is the Sony MH755 for $5.

KZ is nuts for not updating the EDR1. They could tweak the shell design/color, include some Starlines, and replace that gummy old style fixed ‘gut’ cable with a 2-pin removable design. They’d sell a boat load of them.
I agree 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back