Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 20, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #46,816 of 63,796
Newbee also has a 6 set combo set, with 3 sets of silicones and 3 sets of foams. I've got this set, and I think it's around $8 or so. It's definitely worth checking out. Again, I'm more of a foam guy; but after owning Complys (at $26 from Amazon, for 1 set of S,M,L) and disliking they're comfort and how they muddied the sound, I switched to Newbee's...and haven't looked back.
I bought my Newbee foam and silicone set for $3US. I wonder if there are fakes out there?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #46,817 of 63,796
I find over ear type iems more difficult to wear because I can't just quickly pop them in and out. With something that just goes straight in like the Moondrop Crescent or the Sony MH755, it is so easy to just put them in and out. I always put them in far enough that they won't fall out when I move around.

Not all KZs are over ear... I love my ED9.

I ended up getting the best fit and sound with my Crescent using M Starlines modded into "flip tips." The first iems that I have used these on.

10329344.jpg

Here is the thread that @Slater started . Of course it is he who came up with the idea:)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...e-your-mind-blown.906357/page-3#post-15094545
I'm the opposite. Anything that just hangs down from my ears, is less than ideal, because the weight of the cable (plus getting it snagged on my shirt collar or the zipper of a jacket) pulls this type of design easily from my ears, or decreases the seal. I get how it may be easier to pop in...but for me it's also easier to pop out. I don't like having to keep pushing stuff deeper into my ears, to make them stay in, everytime I move. Over ear iems work much better for me, because there's that cable that loops over the ears, to help keep them in. I'd gladly take a few extra minutes to secure a set into my ears for a several hour listening session, than to have to keep resecuring something to keep a good seal multiple times, just to get them in quickly.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #46,818 of 63,796
Just ordered the zsx, now the waiting game begins. xD

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #46,819 of 63,796
I bought my Newbee foam and silicone set for $3. I wonder if there are fakes out there?
It's possible, but I think you probably just got a good deal. Last set I got on Ali couple of months ago cost me a bit less than $7 Cdn, with free Ali Standard shipping with tracking. That's compared to $13.99 Cdn from Amazon for just 6 sets of foams, 2 months earlier. Even the most expensive original set of Newbees, was STILL wayyy less expensive than the Complys that I originally bought last year, at a whopping $25 for a 3 pack of S,M,L...one pair in each size. The Complys were rough feeling in my ears, and their wax guard foam screens just masked any highs. I've modded them by cutting out the wax guard screens, but they still don't sound as open as the Newbees.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #46,820 of 63,796
ZS10 Pro doesnt sound as natural as you want? :frowning2:

Yes ZS10 pro timbre is off, not organic, too steely / metallic sound. Actually a lot of chifi in budget area sounds unnatural so it's normal, with all the goodness that KZ already bring, not complaining in this price just again, suggestion for better improvement. Good / natural timbre in this price section is BQEYZ KB100, tinhifi T2 for examples.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #46,821 of 63,796
Yes ZS10 pro timbre is off, not organic, too steely / metallic sound. Actually a lot of chifi in budget area sounds unnatural so it's normal, with all the goodness that KZ already bring, not complaining in this price just again, suggestion for better improvement. Good / natural timbre in this price section is BQEYZ KB100, tinhifi T2 for examples.

For timbre, I like my JVC FX1100. Them woodies from JVC has some of the best and natural timbre in the IEM world.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #46,822 of 63,796
ZS10 Pro actually pretty good in terms of technical abilities, They can handle complex tracks pretty well for budget price. Bass texture also nice, the sub bass also nice and no bleeds like usual chifi and earlier stage of KZs. If KZX have upgrades, I would suggest for more refine treble section, details but smooth and non piercing non tiring and tonality from low mids until highs. Their BAs still have very steely / weird tonality. I hope they are improving this.
Personally, I don't find the ZS10 PRO tiring at all. I can easily get 2.5-3 hours out of them, before I feel the need to get them out of my ears. After that amount of time, I'm usually ready to stop listening to music anyway. It's still much more than I could stand to listen to my full size, over ear headphones (with the exception of my Takstar Pro82...those, with their fun sound signature, light weight and unbelievably comfortable stock pads...are my favorite over ears).

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #46,823 of 63,796
It's still much more than I could stand to listen to my full size, over ear headphones (with the exception of my Takstar Pro82...those, with their fun sound signature, light weight and unbelievably comfortable stock pads...are my favorite over ears).
Have you compared the Pro82 to the M40X? Those sounded better in a youtube video.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #46,825 of 63,796
Have you compared the Pro82 to the M40X? Those sounded better in a youtube video.
No, I have not. When I bought the Pro82, I was considering the M40X...but decided that the Pro82 was a better value. I watched Zreviews Youtube vids on both headphones, but decided on Pro82 for a few major reasons. 1- Pro82 came with a nice case, and already had great, comfortable pads installed as stock. Cost was $109 CDN on Amazon. 2- M40X had headband issues (those weird dual wing contraptions they use look uncomfortable af), and the pads were subpar, which would have required another investment of at least $60, on top of the already high $169 that Amazon sellers were selling them for. So, the M40X would have cost me around $229 CDN...plus taxes. And, no storage case. Just cheap plastic bubble packaging. My Pro82 cost me $109, shipped straight from Asia...no taxes and no need to buy extra expensive pads. 3- Takstar has a 3 position switch, which allows one to temper/enhance the bass. Extra bonus, that the M40X doesn't offer. 4- Great quality removable cable, without the proprietary locking mechanism that M40X provides. The stock cable on the Takstar is soft and falls loosely. There's no need to immediately look to upgrade it. If it fails, there are many more aftermarket cables that will fit better than anything you can get for the AT M40X. Of the 3 over ear headphones I currently own, the Takstar Pro82 is the only one I will keep. Massdrop Hifiman 4XX planar and my Grado SR225'S are on their way out soon.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #46,826 of 63,796
I'm affraid of that high-frequency BA driver inside the nozzle. It evokes me a piercing treble. I'd rather wait for a measurement or at least for a ZSX review...
Are you hinting that you aren't confident with KZ's ability to create a good iem? :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #46,827 of 63,796
For timbre, I like my JVC FX1100. Them woodies from JVC has some of the best and natural timbre in the IEM world.
I've been looking at the Drop collaboration on a set of JVC iems. Looks interesting...but the $280 price is outta my league.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #46,828 of 63,796
Are you hinting that you aren't confident with KZ's ability to create a good iem? :wink:
No, never :beyersmile:
But their tuning is often a bit off ... AS16 - harshy mids ... AS12 - treble forward. And some are well tuned ... AS10, BA10...
I feel that KZ is experimenting with sound on purpose. They want to show what they can create. Then there's a CCA that tries to tune the earphones to listen to music .... It's just my impression.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #46,830 of 63,796
But their tuning is often a bit off ... AS16 - harshy mids ... AS12 - treble forward. And some are well tuned ... AS10, BA10...
I feel that KZ is experimenting with sound on purpose. They want to show what they can create.
Lol. But your signature says the AS12 is one of your fave iems so it can't be that bad. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back