Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #46,291 of 63,803
Like almost everyone on head-fi, I have a number of much more expensive IEMS, and these have got to be about 99% as good as my favorites. they are great straight from an iphone, a shanling m0, an opus 1, amped through an RSA Predator, or out of a Schitt stack on my PC. it gets harder and harder to justify $XXX+ gear the more chi-fi that i get a chance to hear.
+1. Thanks to chi-fi it'll be getting harder and harder for many manufacturers of higher end phones to justify their prices just based on the sonic technicalities of their creations. I paid 28€ for my 10Pro and while they're not the technically most sophisticated IEM in my stash they certainly don't sound 1000€ or more away from the upper tier to my ears either and I can't wait for the next happy accidents of that sort. Like I've posted before my set needed a pretty long break-in phase (200+ hours) for the drivers to literally get their act together but after all I still prefer the ZS7 for the majority of my tracks - faster, punchier bass with less bleed, significantly better coherency (fast transients) as well as clarity and separation of instruments especially in crowded tracks. In some of my trusty test tracks the brass sections sound somewhat messy through the 10Pro whereas the 7 and my higher end IEMs render those parts with significantly better separation among the different horns.
The 10Pro OTOH beat the 7 with more natural sounding mids and highs, a more fluent, more cohesive and smoother presentation with better balance but the comparatively slow and less textured bass really leaves me wanting here and there, just a personal thing - YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #46,292 of 63,803
qiao%yv7RGWzvU6fPaAGJw.jpg l4af%6MnRJ2cyicBk8Zq7Q.jpg Just received. Small case, easily fits in pocket. Removed buds, immediately connected to iPhone. Excellent fit first time.Am playing at around 95% volume, with my old ears.Excellent instrument separation, and width/depth of sound field.Treble is bright and clear, but not overpowering, a good depth of Bass,with no bleed up.Mids blend well, certainly not forward like some. More listening, to get a definite view.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #46,293 of 63,803
Just received. Small case, easily fits in pocket. Removed buds, immediately connected to iPhone. Excellent fit first time.Am playing at around 95% volume, with my old ears.Excellent instrument separation, and width/depth of sound field.Treble is bright and clear, but not overpowering, a good depth of Bass,with no bleed up.Mids blend well, certainly not forward like some. More listening, to get a definite view.

Awesome! Looking forward to a more in-depth review! :ksc75smile: (We now, apparently, will need a new, TWS, emoji. I guess it could just look like a regular emoji since TWS are getting smaller and smaller and harder to see.LOL)

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #46,294 of 63,803
Just received. Small case, easily fits in pocket. Removed buds, immediately connected to iPhone. Excellent fit first time.Am playing at around 95% volume, with my old ears.Excellent instrument separation, and width/depth of sound field.Treble is bright and clear, but not overpowering, a good depth of Bass,with no bleed up.Mids blend well, certainly not forward like some. More listening, to get a definite view.
I'm so jealous, and can't wait to hear your impressions after some time (and how the battery life is). Mine are on the slow boat, I got twitchy and pulled the trigger on them and the blue ZS10 Pros.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #46,295 of 63,803
Looks like they sourced some parts from MIFO (underside of lid). Is there high latency while watching videos on the T1's? My pair should arrive tomorrow or Monday I think.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #46,296 of 63,803
As always, Slater...you are a wealth of useful information. Thanks! This will come in handy when I get my new Nicehck cables that I might want to try on the ZS10 PRO. Seriously though, would it kill KZ to somehow mark the iems themselves? Even a red crayon on the right earpiece would be something, at least!

I do agree with you. It’s not that hard, and they certainly love to print other useless gubbins on the shells (ie “10 driver super hybrid high resolution”). So it shouldn’t be hard to also print “L/R” or “Left/Right” on there too!

Here’s a simple solution that I’ve done to a few IEMs:

I use the sharp point of something sharp (like a tungsten carbide scribe, diamond-tipped engraving tool, scratch awl, the tip of a sewing needle, etc) and I scratch/etch a small "L" and "R" on each earpiece in an inconspicuous place:

Here's an example of the "R" I added to the KZ ZST (small and very inconspicuous, but large enough to see when I look for it):

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #46,297 of 63,803
Comparisons
Part 1: ZS10 Pro vs Hifiman RE600 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3082#post-15090205
Part 2: ZS10 Pro vs IE800s https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/page-3084#post-15092162
Part 3: ZS10 Pro vs Andromeda https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3084#post-15094616

Part 4: ZS10 Pro vs Solaris
The sub-bass on the Solaris is deeper and with a slower decay compared to the ZS10 Pro, in a way you may think it is dragging on putting them side by side. ZS10 Pro seems to have a similar impact from the mid-bass with Solaris but the Solaris’s bass feels more balanced and controlled while the ZS10 Pro has a faster hitting bass with less body. The Solaris has more of a forward sound in the mids with a natural tone and fantastic body with better detail. The ZS10 Pro in comparison is more neutral sounding in the mids making the mids sounds a little pulled back when putting side by side. Listening to the ZS10 Pro’s treble is crisp, defined, smooth and exhibits a good extension however stacking it against the Solaris you feel a lack of airiness and control. The Solaris’s treble has a better extension, more airiness, more control, and is definitely the brighter of the two. The Solaris was a very wide soundstage and compared to the ZS10 Pro the soundstage is noticeably narrower, but that doesn’t mean the ZS10 Pro is lacking in soundstage. The Solaris can give good separation but I feel the ZS10 Pro is actually not that far off from the Solaris in this aspect when playing certain tracks, the same songs that had me feel congested with the ZS10 Pro I felt a little with the Solaris.

DAP:
Shanling M5s (2.5mm balanced only)

Tracks:
Kiss of Death – Mika Nakashima
Rightfully – Mili
Compared to What – Roberta Flack
Fairy Fountain – Mikel and Gamechops
Earfquake – Tyler, The Creator
Hard Times - Paramore
Old Town Road – Lil Nas X
Brandy – Looking Glass
Come A Little Bit Closer – Jay & the Americans
Imagine – Ariana Grande
Come Away with Me – Norah Jones
May I Have This Dance (Remix) – Francis and the Lights

Awesome KZ ZS10 Pro vs. TOTL IEMs comparisons. If I had my way, I would make @Slater post these comparisons on his signature.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #46,298 of 63,803
I do agree with you. It’s not that hard, and they certainly love to print other useless gubbins on the shells (ie “10 driver super hybrid high resolution”). So it shouldn’t be hard to also print “L/R” or “Left/Right” on there too!

I use the sharp point of something sharp (like a tungsten carbide scribe, diamond-tipped engraving tool, scratch awl, the tip of a sewing needle, etc) and I scratch/etch a small "L" and "R" on each earpiece in an inconspicuous place:

Here's an example of the "R" I added to the KZ ZST (small and very inconspicuous, but large enough to see when I look for it):
Yeah, bro...that's cool and all, but I'm not sure I could do that with a box cutter, shaky hands, and poor eyesight, without either damaging the iems or myself. Lol! Maybe just some red nail polish to indicate right might be a safer bet. Now, I just need to find a brand that doesn't easily chip, run off, or otherwise come off easily. Hopefully, I won't have the drug store's cosmetic rep call security. Ie...52-year-old man walks into a pharmacy cosmetics department and asks for red nail polish that doesn't easily come off. Police taser him, and dies as a result of pacemaker failure/damage. On second thought...maybe box cutter scratches are safer.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #46,299 of 63,803

I would feel pain if I etched my IEM shells. I know there are pros who use lasers to do this though. It may affect the resale value of the IEM also? (but for < $50 USD budget CHIFI IEMs we will most probably just buy another one anyway).

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #46,300 of 63,803
Thanks, I knew you'd know the scoop. I might try a plastic spudger, I don't want to scratch them.

Those are beautiful mods, by the way. I'll post pictures of the all-blue beauty when I put it together. I'm not sure why they chose the smoked body, but I'll fix that.
Oh, yeah! Please do post pics. I sure do wish that KZ would offer that color combo from factory.

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #46,301 of 63,803
I would feel pain if I etched my IEM shells. I know there are pros who use lasers to do this though. It may affect the resale value of the IEM also? (but for < $50 USD budget CHIFI IEMs we will most probably just buy another one anyway).
Yeah, I don't think anyone buying $50 earphones are concerned with resale value. I bought a set a couple months ago as a daily driver. Was so impressed, I bought another set to give to someone in my family for Christmas. Now, I wanna buy a set in blue, with the blue faceplate. Just because they sound so great, and the blue faceplate on a blue body, would look so cool!

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #46,302 of 63,803
KZ ZS10 Pro ordered today. I hope they live up to my expectations and measure up to my ZS7!

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #46,303 of 63,803
KZ ZS10 Pro ordered today. I hope they live up to my expectations and measure up to my ZS7!
Both are technically excellent but zs10 pro is more suited to be an all-rounder while ZS7 is more focused in being a super energic IEM for specific genres imho.
Sure you'll like it.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #46,304 of 63,803
Guys.
I've taken the plunge and bought myself a FIIO M11 and now looking at a Balanced cable to fit my KZ iems. Type B connection as that will fit all including ZS10Pro.
Either 2.5 or 4.4 as m11 has both.
And not too pricey
Any advice.
TIA

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #46,305 of 63,803
+1. Thanks to chi-fi it'll be getting harder and harder for many manufacturers of higher end phones to justify their prices just based on the sonic technicalities of their creations. I paid 28€ for my 10Pro and while they're not the technically most sophisticated IEM in my stash they certainly don't sound 1000€ or more away from the upper tier to my ears either and I can't wait for the next happy accidents of that sort. Like I've posted before my set needed a pretty long break-in phase (200+ hours) for the drivers to literally get their act together but after all I still prefer the ZS7 for the majority of my tracks - faster, punchier bass with less bleed, significantly better coherency (fast transients) as well as clarity and separation of instruments especially in crowded tracks. In some of my trusty test tracks the brass sections sound somewhat messy through the 10Pro whereas the 7 and my higher end IEMs render those parts with significantly better separation among the different horns.
The 10Pro OTOH beat the 7 with more natural sounding mids and highs, a more fluent, more cohesive and smoother presentation with better balance but the comparatively slow and less textured bass really leaves me wanting here and there, just a personal thing - YMMV.
I had W60, 846, but sold, as I get around 90% sound from Chi-fi.I also sold HD800, HEK,as I get around the same from Verum1. I think some manufactures will suffer sales, when more people find these type of products.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back