1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. dairy
    I found the ES4s quite uncomfortable too. The stem is of good length, but I found that because it is quite wide, it had a hard time fitting without getting uncomfortable quickly. I also couldn't handle the upper mid-range hump on the ES4s, which made vocals quite harsh. Not sure if you are set on getting a set of KZs, but something like the Final Audio E3000s seem to fit your needs for a warm IEM with good bass (no detachable cable though).

Assimilator702 likes this.
  2. Assimilator702
    My advice to try the ZSN is based off his plan on getting the ES4. The ZSN and ZSN PRO are better than the ES4 across the board. And if you think ZSN is bass light I don’t know how to respond to that. ZSN and ZSN PRO have never sounded lacking in the bass department. Some would argue it’s bass heavy.

I’ve played every genre on both ZSN and ZSN PRO and I don’t see how you could think they aren’t good for multiple genres. In your face or not......what’s the difference? If it fits the track what’s the issue? They handle Black Metal, Death, Thrash, Power Metal, Classic Rock, Vocal Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Hip Hop, Electronic music, standard pop. I found no serious issues with several styles of classical. maybe not the most technical but certainly musical.

Not to mention I’m recommending a $21 to $22 iem that’s a tremendous performer. Anyone that’s curious about either owes it to themselves to hear at least one of them.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  3. gourab1995
    You are right in saying that the zsn pro is better in general for most genres. But specifically for reggae music. Even i think the ES4 is a much more capable and suitable iem. The sound signature complements reggae music very well, better than the zsn pro even. ES4 have that warmth to them and a big bass, along with forward mids. While the zsn are mostly v shaped and light sounding relative to the ES4.

In terms of comfort ES4 doesn't have that much of a strong suit. Highly dependent on the fit you get. It fits pretty flush for me. On the plus side no hard or metallic edges are there.

4. nxnje
    ZSN Pro is sure musical.
    Not technically exceptional like other IEMs on its price range (under 20 usd we can find some good choices which are technically better) but it's sure a good all-rounder, at least for me, even if i do not use them anymore.

5. Zune
    I tried the KZ ATR's properly for the first time yesterday and for what they cost they are incredible. I can't get them to stay in my ears though. I bought them to use when i was doing things where they might get damaged and didn't want to risk nicer sets but i really don't like their shape. I'm getting used to the ZS10 Pros fit and the ATR's just feel wrong. They actually fit better if i swap the left to the right ear and vice versa .Maybe I need to try some different tips. Mind you i've never had much success with ear buds sealing properly and it wasn't until i tried an IEM i realised what i've been missing.

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  6. archdawg
    Mind naming a few of those technically exceptional or better IEMs below $20?
    On AE the ZSN Pro (or original ZSN) sell for 12-13€ these days (a steal IMO) and I'd be hard pressed to name something technically superior for that little money. Well, for 16€ you could get the DT6 but I personally don't like them as much for my standard diet of acoustic jazz at lower volumes. YMMV.

LaughMoreDaily and gourab1995 like this.
  7. raccoon city
    After checking out reviews of the ES4, ZSN, and ZSN PRO...
    https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-es4.23181/reviews
    https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zsn-knowledge-zenith.23357/reviews
    https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zsn-pro.23725/reviews
    ...it seems like the ES4 is best for me. [​IMG]

8. Superluc
  9. nxnje
    Then i didn't wanna mention the DT6 as it's banned so i can name the other one (at least) which is really exceptional.
    For me, the QT5 is something hard to beat at 20$, and imho technically there's just TRN V80 which can be something similarly accurate in terms of technical performance (except their very aggressive and annoying lower treble).

Ynot1, PhonoPhi and archdawg like this.
  10. PhonoPhi
    CCA CA4 (close relative of ZSN Pro but with smooth metal plates) - noticeable refinement of ZSN, which to me sound still quite competitive but with almost the same price as ZSN Pro is hard to recommend.

11. archdawg
    Agreed. When I got my QT5 I couldn't believe how good they sounded for those 20€ and I still prefer them over my ZSN and ZSN Pro as well. Anyway, after a week on the road with nothing but the QT5 I got back home, fired up my trusty grey ZS6 and blam ... no comparison - sub-bass, details throughout the spectrum, spaciousness, clarity, perceptual transparency (to my ears and brains), spatial accuracy, instrument separation even with heavily crowded tracks - a different class altogether for only 4-5 Euros more on AE.

Edit: I still haven't tried the V80, had them in my cart for ages, lol. Now for around 18€ on AE they're even harder to resist but heck, I already have a lot of cheaper IEMs that are just gathering dust and I rather waste my money and time on something more sophisticated.

12. moisespr123
    I don't know if this gives us hope. My new KZ aptX HD cable is recognized in Windows as an HID Input Device. They have the data pins enabled. I don't know if this means that it could receive firmware updates, but I hope they do because the beeps and voice prompts are really loud...

upload_2019-6-8_8-46-26.png

Slater likes this.
  13. BadReligionPunk
    Some people think Tin Audio T2 is a bass monster. Its all personal perpective. If you think ZSN has massive bass, then I wont argue that. To me its bass light. Its the least amount of bass I have heard from a KZ iem though and the speed and attack of it are quite fast. Not something that most people want for Reggae and Hip Hop, Trap, Dubstep, ect. Its also a bright and aggressive sounding iem. On the other end of the spectrum ES4 has the most amount of bass impact and slam of all KZ iems I have tried. They are warm and smooth. All things that most people that listen to Reggae and other bass heavy genres of music like.

No big deal. Listen to whatever you want on whatever you find enjoyable. That's the goal of this thing. However with that said there are iems that do somethings better then other. I wouldn't rec a T2 to somebody that loves Future, and I wouldn't rec An ES4 to somebody that's into Technical Death Metal.

14. BadReligionPunk
    I can wear them 8+ hours with no issues. They are SLIGHTLY thicker then ZSN and also very light. I took some pics to compare. they are on the phone so lemme edit and upload them in a sec.

IMG_20190608_083624.jpg

IMG_20190608_083451.jpg

IMG_20190608_083341.jpg

15. Superluc
    The question on the ES4's fit is rather the nozzle than the housing. It's almost at 90° degrees, it's not angled like the ZSN.

Examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone's anatomy is different, but that particular make the ES4 uncomfortable to my ears and prone to be pushed out.

no1seem2 likes this.