1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. archdawg
    If you combine 3 different driver technologies (DD, BA, piezo) in one shell you're asking for trouble unless you know exactly what is necessary to get them exactly in tune, which most of the times only really works in a limited dynamic range (sweet zone) anyway. As much as I like my DT6 (I own two pairs) I mostly use them for electronic music but not for anything where I want precise spatial positioning like jazz, classic or binaural recordings ... just my 2 €¢.

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  2. voicemaster
    I like a little bit more sparkle in the highs. I like C10's treble and zs7's bass and for me the zsn pro has them both. When I was listening with zs7, often times I wished for more bites in the high and same with c10 where I wished there is a more weight in it's bass, the zsn pro offers those. It just a matter of preference I guess.

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  3. randomnin
    I don't see how more expensive gear would help in the case described. If the audio file is bad, then the gear that fixes the issue will sound worse with normal quality files. Or am I wrong in some way?

LaughMoreDaily and antdroid like this.
  4. archdawg
    I don't exactly get what you mean by "gear that fixes ...". Audio tracks can be 'bad' in many ways; some flaws can be fixed relatively easily to some extent (EQ, specific noise reduction, de-essing, ...), others, esp. ****ty recordings or mixing jobs not really ... it all depends.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    randomnin likes this.
  5. LaughMoreDaily
    I thought the AK SR15 sounded great with the CCA C10.

6. SoundChoice
    If I had a time machine, I'd go back to myself $xxxx ago and say "congratulations, your KZ-ATR got you 85% there... now take the rest and enjoy a 3-week vacation."

7. SoundChoice
    TOP KZ EARPHONES

1. ZS10 Pro
    2. ZSN
    3. AS10 (for on stage)
    4. ZS6
    5. ZST
    6. ATE/ATR
    483. Two rusty sardine cans attached with barbed wire
    999. ZS7

8. mbwilson111
    Wow I had no idea that you have the AK.

9. Slater
    If I had a time machine, I’d go back to 1995 and say “congratulations, even though Apple stock is $1 right now, and everyone thinks Microsoft is going to drive them out of business, buy as much stock as you can afford. Sell a kidney if necessary. You’ll thank me in 2019.

Then I’d be able to buy any IEM I wanted.

10. archdawg
    When I sold my high-end rig (all Accuphase, custom speakers and cables, etc...) and some other stuff back in 2001 I only kept my music collection, the portable Minidisc and DAT recorders, some AKG cans and went traveling around Asia for a couple years. Didn't miss a single beat and never looked back since.

LaughMoreDaily and SoundChoice like this.
  11. tgx78
    Haha fun thoughts. Don’t even need to go back that far. Go back six years and angel invest 25k on uber. You will be worth 500 Millions today and own 1% of the company.

Shubh0, LaughMoreDaily and Slater like this.
  12. randomnin
    Oh yeah, I misunderstood you, you actually said that cheap Chi-Fi is sufficient for a good listening experience. But others who quoted you started implying that bad recordings can somehow be fixed with gear; and not only that, but fixed specifically with audiophile players. Which is nonsense. If your problem is storage, then modern flagships provide up to 512Gb inbuilt storage for all your flacs. Plus microsd storage up to 1Tb. And the only performance problem a smartphone might possess is insufficient power, which is generally irrelevant for IEMs.

Sorry that I conflated your posts with others', should've gotten on their case not yours.

And the weird thing here is that initially Slater concludes that the problem is with the audio file (or running wireless), not the portable gear. Then it somehow turns into exalting the magic pros of specialized players over smartphones. Even Xiaomi for 150 bucks has great crosstalk performances, THD levels well below 1% (inaudible) and flat frequency responses within hundredths of a single decibel.
    Unless you want to drive high impedance and\or low sensitivity drivers there's no need for audiophile DACs, players or amplifiers.

By the way, LG has smartphone models that they advertise as having dedicated audio chips. The measurements are not that much better than those of other flagships that don't specially advertise it.

darmanastartes and archdawg like this.
  13. Slater
    There’s nothing magical about it.

My iPhone doesn’t play flacs. Therefore, I have to play my flacs on my DAP. My DAP has dual card slots, giving me 1TB of storage and I can fit my entire music collection on.

I don’t speak for everyone; I can only speak for myself. Others may have better phones than me, built for audio. If that’s the case, then I’m happy for them (you).

I wish I had such a phone (good audio performance, dual microSD card slots, 3.5mm headphone jack, line out, ability to drive 600ohm headphones). If one exists, please let me know.

Zerohour88 likes this.
  14. archdawg
    'Nice(r)' sub $50 phones, yeah ...

Agreed ... plain BS.

Most of the times I'm using one of my smartphones with 512Gb micro SD cards w/ external DAC or one of my oldies ... x-boxed and modded Cowon D2 or iRiver H140 (does anyone remember those bad boys?).
    I can't quite agree though that insufficient power of smartphones or once we're at it cables are irrelevant for IEMs, especially multi-driver configurations but that's a different story altogether.

Always looking foward to a fruitful discussion :relaxed:

15. LaughMoreDaily
    I don't own one. I heard the SR15 at the Vancouver Audio Festival.

mbwilson111 likes this.