Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,156 of 63,834
Tight hole + tinybit superglue from inside.

May 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,157 of 63,834
  Guys, just a quick question about KZ.  Is there any fear of getting "fake" KZ products?  There seems to be wide range of prices for KZ items on AliExpress.

I had assumed they're priced so low that there would be little incentive to fake them, but I want to be sure.  This seller has ATE for $10.25, ED9 for $10.46, and some other items I'm interested in.  Also, a coupon for $3 off $30 purchase:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-Original-KZ-ATE-3-5mm-in-ear-Earphones-HIFI-Metal-Stereo-headphone-Super-Bass/1797792_32356569413.html

Just a bit concerned about only 1 feedback.

Nope, never heard of. If the seller is a scammer he'd send nothing or would send something entirely different. In any case you may use AliExpress protection. But it's always recommended to buy from high rated seller.

May 28, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #4,158 of 63,834
  Tight hole + tinybit superglue from inside.

biggrin.gif
THAT would have been my 2nd guess. JB Weld would pretty much make it permanent.

Plus We all love tight holes....

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

May 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #4,159 of 63,834
what does the KZ ATE sound burned in?

just got my ATE there pretty good and there soundstage is pretty wide in some musics

May 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #4,160 of 63,834
I think that superglue will also make it pretty permanent. No need to spend money and "invent bicycle" with that JB Weld, imho
wink.gif

May 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,161 of 63,834
  I think that superglue will also make it pretty permanent. No need to spend money and "invent bicycle" with that JB Weld, imho
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
My other idea was to draw 2 concentric circles on the shell, the outer one being the Diameter of the Screen Housing. Use a 3/32 Bit to drill a center hole, then maybe 1/16 and Drill holes along the circumferences of both circles Maybe 4 on middle circle and 6-8 on outer circle, then Paint the outer shells. I would probably just get rid of the screen all together. Ala' Titan venting!!!

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

May 28, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #4,162 of 63,834
Sorry, I`m into wood-belief!
tongue.gif
 But if You do it (or whatever You decide to do), share your tips and results here too :wink:

Now, can someone please test breathing-hole closing on the nozzles and report back. I really like how it makes bass and drum kick powerful and tight - I think I know what wood I`ll be using with this configuration ;P

May 28, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,163 of 63,834
  Sorry, I`m into wood-belief!
tongue.gif
 But if You do it (or whatever You decide to do), share your tips and results here too :wink:

Now, can someone please test breathing-hole closing on the nozzles and report back. I really like how it makes bass and drum kick powerful and tight - I think I know what wood I`ll be using with this configuration ;P

smily_headphones1.gif
Will do. Wood Eh? Very interesting.... something exotic like Zebrawood would be Tres' cool. I will check out the port hole thing once I get them. Look at me, I'm modding them before I even get them!!!!

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

May 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,164 of 63,834
I`m selecting wood by sound properties not looks
wink.gif

Atm I`m listening to Karnivool - Sound Awake album, my own rip, 16/44 FLAC through my modded DX50 and I`m really pleased what I`m hearing with closed nozzle-holes.
It sounds like using additional portable amp, very powerful sound. I`m thinking making it permanent...

Edit:
Without nozzle-breathing-holes closing I have to turn my DX50 from 191 to 202 to reach same powerful sound as with closed holes. Though soundstage seems tinybit less airy this way but it is so powerful and engaging sound with still great soundstage. I`m having dilemma... probably will have to spend more days listening between those configurations.

May 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #4,165 of 63,834
  I`m selecting wood by sound properties not looks
wink.gif

Atm I`m listening to Karnivool - Sound Awake album, my own rip, 16/44 FLAC through my modded DX50 and I`m really pleased what I`m hearing with closed nozzle-holes.
It sounds like using additional portable amp, very powerful sound. I`m thinking making it permanent...

I have a table of wood sound properties somewhere as applied to Guitar construction, would that be of any help?

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

May 28, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #4,166 of 63,834
Electrical or acoustic guitar? There are some differences in those applications. But I think You have to make some hit-misses till You get what You want anyway. I just happen to have some experience with wood applied in HPs.

May 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #4,167 of 63,834
  Electrical or acoustic guitar? There are some differences in those applications. But I think You have to make some hit-misses till You get what You want anyway. I just happen to have some experience with wood applied in HPs.

smily_headphones1.gif
Non specific as to body type it is just overall tonal properties.

They are showing examples on solid bodies:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

May 28, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,168 of 63,834
Can someone with the ED9's check if there's a hole next to the cable on their left IEM? I just noticed the right earpiece has a hole next to the cable and my left one does not. Either case, I like the V-shape of the gold filters. These IEM's rock! Feels like an upgraded Zero Audio Basso.

May 28, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #4,169 of 63,834
I have hole on both sides on my ED9. But it shouldn`t matter much because that hole is "behind" driver where it`s "fully open" anyway.

About ATE, I have permanently closed nozzle-breathing-holes with tiny drop of superglue.
I don`t care what You guys think of this mod... it sounds very good to me along with hole-mod 
tongue.gif

But I do hope You`ll try it and like it also :wink:

May 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4,170 of 63,834

...yes, I know, it doesn`t look nice but like I said previously, it was just fast fun mod to show what can be done (usually I don`t do things in crappy way like this).
Does it still sound like without backplates?... hmmm... have spent too less time with it but seems so. 

Have fun with modding! :wink:

Btw, I think I might still close those breathing holes near nozzle neck. Bass slam and drum kicks are just so freaking hard and powerful 
tongue.gif

Will leave holes closed for awhile and then try again without. Too early to make final conclusion...
But I definitely recommend to try it along with grill mod ...and please report back here also, I want to know what You think of it :wink:

Ooh! nice!! I'm out of rep points lol but have my +1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back