Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #40,186 of 63,834
Thanks

When you say "better bass" can you explain ?
And for the rest?

Globally it's V signature ? What is the most interesting TFZ's for the monenm?

TFZs generally have better bass quantity and quality, but at a higher price. Other sound comparisons are based on what you want in your music. TFZs typically have a v-shaped signature and this is probably the most intriguing TFZ for many Chi-Fi fans:

https://penonaudio.com/tfz-king.html

TBH, the KZ AS10 and BA10 probably sound better overall than the TFZ Exclusive King, but it is up to you.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #40,187 of 63,834
Generally speaking, TFZs have better bass than KZs, but you pay more for TFZs. Also, make sure you really want the sound presentation for the TFZ you get. For instance, the TFZ Secret Garden Dual-DD have a spacious and somewhat-v-shaped-sound presentation, making it wonderous for EDM, Pop, and almost all live/acoustical genres.

Thanks

When you say "better bass" can you explain ?
And for the rest?

Globally it's V signature ? What is the most interesting TFZ's for the monenm?

Its basically the TFZ house sound, you'd have to like their tuning to appreciate their models. Tested a few models including the King Pro and the bass was the standout feature for me. Not that I like any of them. Yeah, sure, you can't go wrong with it, but you can probably find more technically proficient models for the same money.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #40,188 of 63,834
My Cyan ZSN's just arrived... only about 10 minutes into listening and they seem to live up to the hype (especially for the price). I already like them more than my old SE215's at almost a tenth of the price.

Mids/vocal's are a bit further back than I prefer but still ok. Fortunately it's an easy EQ fix. We'll see what happens after burn in.

Edit: unfortunately looks like they will be relegated to occasional listening only. They press against my right antitragus and hotspot after 15-20 minutes.

Edit 2: With some tip rolling and reshaping of the ear hooks I think I've mostly solved most the fit issue.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #40,189 of 63,834
Happy new year folks!

giphy.gif

Jan 1, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #40,191 of 63,834
Good that You are back on track about my first posts of "our quarrel". Instead reacting and trying to prove opposite it is better to read things calm several times and in context of certain post.
I provided You with 2 graphs from same person and measuring gear (which for example in my experience are more accurate than phonograph measurements which seem sometimes little off).
Those 2 graphs make Your post with several different graphs "irrevelant" as they compare IEMs I took for example head-to-head with eachother and show what I meant about ZSN sub-bass "roll-off".
There was no need to prove something :wink:
Maybe I was too "harsh" and subjective with my comment about ppl mixing up mid-bass & sub-bass areas (but imo, I`ve seen many "beginners" into head-fi describing things not quite right. Like I said before that was not pointed straight to Your impressions about ZSN.
Though, without different experience impressions can be misread/understood.

KZ is known to make changes without any notice. Best way to check - open both pair backplates and look for difference in resistors/capacitors. Also, take care look about glue/tape or whatever they are using for fixing internal components as it can block back of drivers airflow.

Anyway, happy new Year and joyful listening! :wink:
A Happy New Year to you too, @CoiL!

Uh-oh :anguished: ... antdroid's reddit post is categorical; read it and you'll understand he refers to one and only one IEM. The other curves are overlaid for purposes of comparison. His compensated graph btw is only of the subject IEM. Crabdog's graph is from his own review. One cannot in a sentence simply dismiss them and say their graphs are "irrelevant".

That is why care is needed in how our words are phrased, to avoid misunderstanding and misinterpretation. What is innocuous to one may be offensive to others. :neutral_face:

Perception of sound is of course personal and individual. Moreover, single-adjective descriptions of how headphones reproduce music are there by convention; they are figurative and can never be precise. For all we know, that "beginner" whose description of things may seem not quite right to us may be a very well-respected scientist with a PhD in psycho-acoustics or acoustics engineering or something. :nerd: :astonished: :scream: :smile:

Anyway, we've each presented our sides, and proffered what we believe is sufficient supporting proof. Let's trust the other members and readers to have the discernment to arrive at their own conclusions. :shrug:

What matters is we all share an interest in, a love for, and an appreciation of, music as reproduced through headphones, and related gear. :L3000: I also wish there were someone in our area with your mad creative mod skills. I can't seem to part with the ED16 so I'd like to have it modified.

A comparative word to describe my new green ZS6 is brighter. It's brighter than the red one. And thanks for your suggestion! I've decided to look for a proper screwdriver and do as you said. Curiously excited and very apprehensive at the same time. I hope nothing bad happens. :worried: :sweat_smile:

My latest top list of in-ear earphones are up at my profile page!

Click link below to know more...
Post #20974

Enjoy! :tropical_drink:

Happy New Year! :beerchug:

-Clear
Thank you, Clear! Because of your highest approval and recommendation, it is also clear that my next in-ears would be a cyan pair of the CCA C10. :thumbsup:

Wait a moment... the coming AS06 is also cyan. Does CCA have black replacement cables? If so, I'll send vibes for the color black along my husband's way.
:wink: :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #40,192 of 63,834
SybilLance

Thank you, Clear! Because of your highest approval and recommendation, it is also clear that my next in-ears would be a cyan pair of the CCA C10. :thumbsup:

Wait a moment... the coming AS06 is also cyan. Does CCA have black replacement cables? If so, I'll send vibes for the color black along my husband's way.
:wink: :smile_phones:[/QUOTE]

Clear

If you go to the "CCA Headphone Store" on Aliexpress you can buy a 0.75MM cable by KZ. Get the curved insert end.
Link...
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...o-Cord-for-Original/4409033_32899715999.html?

...I'll be purchasing the Purple/Silver C10, soon as a backup!

Cheers! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #40,193 of 63,834
Jan 1, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #40,194 of 63,834
Its basically the TFZ house sound, you'd have to like their tuning to appreciate their models. Tested a few models including the King Pro and the bass was the standout feature for me. Not that I like any of them. Yeah, sure, you can't go wrong with it, but you can probably find more technically proficient models for the same money.

Thanks

I'll see for review them. But kz is better technical than tfz. Wow they are very good bang for buck ! I didn't think at this point !

King pro is very expensive in comparison to AS10. And the sound is similar ?:L3000::astonished:

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #40,195 of 63,834
Thanks

I'll see for review them. But kz is better technical than tfz. Wow they are very good bang for buck ! I didn't think at this point !

King pro is very expensive in comparison to AS10. And the sound is similar ?:L3000::astonished:

you're probably replying to the wrong poster about the AS10/King Pro comparison. I hadn't AB any TFZ and KZ models yet (tested the old Series 4, King and King Pro, I think?), and wasn't wowed by them, at least.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #40,198 of 63,834
It is great that you like IT01 and enjoy your mode.
My limited experience with $100-$150 IEMs, e.g. Fiio, ended up with me not wanting to afford FH5, since there are always more.
I really happy that I found AS10 and just enjoying music.
I really got great respect for KZ with KZN, which I could be quite happy with.
It is great that there are a lot of choices, and everyone can find what makes them most happy!
Happy New Year!!

My post was not meant to praise IT01, I was talking about many choices and new S-version is one of them (which I don`t have, yet).
Heck, sometimes I take out my precious ZS5v1 and are amazed how great it sounds with gigantic holographic soundstage (properly amped&sourced).
If KZ will do similar tuning IEM again, I will buy it for sure. I hope ZS7 will be it.
Just that I prefer coherence, dynamics, fast rumbling detailed bass, overall more micro-detailed and transparent sound of IT01(modded) over ZS5v1.

ZSN, as I'm listening to it more again, is very balanced, though a tad sharp sometimes. It's pretty close to what I like as far as a sound signature/FR but missing the dynamics and details I find in higher end earphones and over-ear headphones. There's definitely a drastic difference going back to listening to IEMs after spending the past 2 months or so primarily listening to the Focal Elex/Elegia.
While I don`t quite agree with "very balanced" point (I do think they are well balanced though), I do also think it is tad sharp/harsh (probably due to little spike around 4,5kHz) and lack little in "weight" with some instruments. Also dynamics, details (micro/transparency) & overall coherence could be better.
But hey, it is 14$ IEM - still insane value! :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #40,199 of 63,834
My post was not meant to praise IT01, I was talking about many choices and new S-version is one of them (which I don`t have, yet).
Heck, sometimes I take out my precious ZS5v1 and are amazed how great it sounds with gigantic holographic soundstage (properly amped&sourced).
If KZ will do similar tuning IEM again, I will buy it for sure. I hope ZS7 will be it.
Just that I prefer coherence, dynamics, fast rumbling detailed bass, overall more micro-detailed and transparent sound of IT01(modded) over ZS5v1.

While I don`t quite agree with "very balanced" point (I do think they are well balanced though), I do also think it is tad sharp/harsh (probably due to little spike around 4,5kHz) and lack little in "weight" with some instruments. Also dynamics, details (micro/transparency) & overall coherence could be better.
But hey, it is 14$ IEM - still insane value! :wink:

Yea, I should have typed, relatively speaking. Its balanced for its price. There's very few IEMs that are as well balanced in this under $50 category

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #40,200 of 63,834
Uh-oh :anguished: ... antdroid's reddit post is categorical; read it and you'll understand he refers to one and only one IEM. The other curves are overlaid for purposes of comparison. His compensated graph btw is only of the subject IEM. Crabdog's graph is from his own review. One cannot in a sentence simply dismiss them and say their graphs are "irrelevant".
You still didn`t get my point with the example I brought. IT01 vs. ZSN - same graph and calibration/compensation settings, same measuring gear from same person - there is about 8dB difference @20Hz ! Though, when You do overlay graphs You`ll see that they also are different signature IEMs.
I personally definitely prefer overall "downsloping" FR without recessed mids or harshness/sibilance at highs (but not being clear L-shape signature).
If ZSN suits perfect for Your sound perception, source gear, music, preferences, I`m totally good with that. We all do hear differently, have different gear etc.
I was just trying to make a point from my perspective about ZSN sub-bass "roll-off" compared to certain IEM (IT01 in this case).
Once You hear enough of that fast detailed rumbly sub-bass of graphene driver backed with near 1 tesla magnetic field and properly implemented helmholz resonator - then You know what I`m speaking about :wink: It is not about sub-bass quantity only but also quality of it. For me, ZSN lacks both latter in that area :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back