Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #40,096 of 63,834
You know I do have an impedance adapter that I bought from a Lazada store in December of last year. It was intended for the red ZS6 i already had at the time.

Long story short, i didn't like it.

When I connected it to the ZS6 and then to my iPhone 6+ (EQ Off) the result was an attenuation in volume approximately equivalent to 3 clicks on the side volume buttons of the iPhone (~about -10.5 dB). It also made everything so much warmer and extremely smooth all the way up. No textures whatsoever. Yes the initial harshness and over-brilliance of the ZS6 did disappear but the smoothness was quite disconcerting. It's like listening to a vinyl tube-amp 2-channel stereo system with the treble turned down. Or, as the thought jumped into my head at the time, like diving into a pool filled with depilatory lotion; the entire skin surface became smooth with all the hair gone, including eyelashes and nose hairs.

So, I read instead the posts of hakuzen (as a lurker here) about his research as regards taming the ZS5 v1 and ZS6, first using EQ, then ball foam tips and that last was the solution for me.

Anyway I dug the adapter up and here it is... a "Shenzhen Audio ZY-031 HiFi Nüwa Copper Top 10cm Impedance Cable" with a Canare F12 plug. All the other details are in the photos. Price then was the equivalent amount of $21.62 US. Now it's $57.98 on Shenzhenaudio.com. Seriously heavy, evidently built like it's part of an armored tank and looks like it could survive a nuclear explosion, much more any random peak bursts (sorry, couldn't resist).
:kissing_heart: :smile_phones:

Here are screenshots of its Shenzhenaudio.com page (as soon as I read the product description, the same in the Lazada store as it is below, I ordered it right away—guess I was a bit excited):

I just kept it in a drawer and never thought about taking it out till now. Will try it out with the Cayin N3-Topping NX4 and ZSN sometime.
My experience is similar to yours. IEmatch altered the signature of AS10 surprisingly, but I do prefer the original signature.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #40,098 of 63,834
1. Rewire the two balanced armature in series.
2. Replace the 0402 cap with Panasonic ECPU (use 470n).
3. Remove the 0402 resistor and rewire with a 7.5R Beysclag MELF.

this will solve your KZ ZS6 forever and you can resell me or anyone here these for 500$. i can guarantee you that

this is the mod i was talking earlier

I'm afraid i don't have the skill set for doing this, even if I were so inclined.

Tell you what, though: why not invest some
money in buying up some ZS6 stock, do the very same modifications you were describing, input some creative bit of marketing (like being your usual self talking Sound Science stuff) and then sell them commercially for ~$500 each? You'll be rich. I can guarantee you that.

Hey Dude, I'm just messing with you. Sorry. :kissing_heart: :woman:

I'm actually quite wary whether that's an actual headphone attenuator or an headphone impedance adapter (they're not the same thing). One is wired in series, one is wired in parallel. (you can measure it with a multimeter if you have one, the resistance should show different values depending on the points you read from)

Hence my reservations on talking about it here, I don't think any KZ actually needs such an item. In fact, I made the DIY one simply for the CA Andromeda, since that definitely needs an attenuator if your source have either high output impedance or noise floor. I can tell you that the Topping NX4 DSD can run any sensitive IEMs just fine since the Andro also works fine with no hiss on it.

Things can get all jumbled up with all these random info and unclear impressions based on some pseudo-science.

Well, it did attenuate the volume and smoothed everything. So I guess it's actually a volume and texture attenuator. A heavy-duty one at that.
:smile_phones:

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #40,099 of 63,834
ZS5v1 is also regarded to have low impedance, but I had no issues with any of my sources (unlike the Andromeda). To be fair, I try to remove any weak link in my chain before trying stuff out, so I can't say the same for everyone.

I'd take a very hard look at the actual source/DAP before getting something like the iEMatch for a KZ.

Regardless, YMMV. Carry on with the impedance talk.

My DAP gives no noise with KZ AS10.
IEMatch removes noise nicely when AS10 is used with Samsung S9; it is a worthy device for me to have; a DIY similar voltage divider may be more fun.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #40,101 of 63,834
Well, it did attenuate the volume and smoothed everything. So I guess it's actually a volume and texture attenuator. A heavy-duty one at that.

both the impedance adapter and "attenuator" will reduce the volume, but the way an attenuator is designed is to reduce the volume without possibly changing the sound signature (unlike a straight impedance adapter).

I say possible because some IEM/gear might work with just an impedance adapter, but some might not. Again, hence me not really wanting to talk about it here, it gets a bit convoluted talking about such sound science.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #40,102 of 63,834
I'm afraid i don't have the skill set for doing this, even if I were so inclined.

Tell you what, though: why not invest some
money in buying up some ZS6 stock, do the very same modifications you were describing, input some creative bit of marketing (like being your usual self talking Sound Science stuff) and then sell them commercially for ~$500 each? You'll be rich. I can guarantee you that.

Hey Dude, I'm just messing with you. Sorry. :kissing_heart: :woman:

I am actually working on my own pair of IEM. Getting my patents for my paper

I am working with Single Knowles FED series driver and extending the lows with a special Helmholtz resonator, peak cancellation tube and horn for amplifying the treble.

Aim is to not use a damper, and get a single driver produce lowest lows and highest highs with lowest distortion

Not gonna leak design, theory is okay

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #40,103 of 63,834
the diameter of the nozzle. Some of us have narrow ear canals. For e.g. I found the ZSA (ZSA has a wider nozzle than the ZSR which fits me OK) just won't fit properly in my ears - it took me pretty long to figure out why
I don't have calipers for exact measurements, but comparing them side by side by eye, ZSA nozzles are a bit wider. AS06 has the same diameter with ZS10, but with small notches for better tips holding

the type of KZ socket. For e.g. the ZSA (again) has a angled 'A-Paragraph' cable. Many users including myself bought 'B-Paragraph' (since they are angled) upgrade cables and found they don't fit the ZSA
And I don't know what is A-paragraph and B-paragraph, but sockets are similar with ZS10, but AS06 has a bit longer pins

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #40,104 of 63,834
Definitely gonna buy AS06 and CCA C10 (love my zsn and it would be awesome to see some improvements)... Just waiting for some zs7 reviews..
if they turn out to be good too, I'm golden..
Hey @1clearhead .. how well does c10 hold up against AS10 in soundstage and separation ?
I don't own the AS10, so I can't say. But, so far the C10 is a true balanced wonder with details galore throughout the whole range! :ok_hand:

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #40,105 of 63,834
both the impedance adapter and "attenuator" will reduce the volume, but the way an attenuator is designed is to reduce the volume without possibly changing the sound signature (unlike a straight impedance adapter).

I say possible because some IEM/gear might work with just an impedance adapter, but some might not. Again, hence me not really wanting to talk about it here, it gets a bit convoluted talking about such sound science.
That was given tongue-in-cheek. Should have included a wink in there. But don't mind me. I guess I'm doing the opposite of whatever menopause is supposed to be.

Or perhaps it's just I'm still tickled purple because the hubby earlier inquired about the availability and price of the CCA C-10 in Shopee. It seems my continuing Year-End Resolution is a success! Here's to hoping the next Innovative Exemplary Monitor KZ (or CCA or TRN or BQEYZ, or whoever else) releases will be $30 or below. I'm willing to bet the KZ team will name it ZSQ.

I am working with Single Knowles FED series driver and extending the lows with a special Helmholtz resonator, peak cancellation tube and horn for amplifying the treble.

Aim is to not use a damper, and get a single driver produce lowest lows and highest highs with lowest distortion

Go for it! I sincerely wish you success.

Psst...Keep the price at $30 or below and my husband will be your first buyer and you'll be rich. I guarantee it.
:wink:

And if ever you'll be needing a creative marketing manager, I'm volunteering my paid services.

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #40,106 of 63,834

mrw-a-new-coworker-brings-me-cake-on-my-birthday-74496.gif

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #40,109 of 63,834
C10 and ZS10 both have similar specs and price at the moment on AliExpress. Which one to go for? Have read a few positive impressions for C10. I already own ZSN and absolutely love how they sound. Any suggestions?

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #40,110 of 63,834
I
I don't think any KZ actually needs such an item. In fact, I made the DIY one simply for the CA Andromeda, since that definitely needs an attenuator if your source have either high output impedance or noise floor. I can tell you that the Topping NX4 DSD can run any sensitive IEMs just fine since the Andro also works fine with no hiss on it.

You can't assume that every KZ's user have also good, perfectly fine and costly sources. When you match cheap but sensitive enough IEMs with cheap AMP, DAP, phones or whatever, you can get some hissing also with KZs, and it's just easier/cheaper to put an adapter in between, may be bought for some $ or DIY made, than change the source.

I was just adding that those kind of cheap solution may also affect a bit the sound, for the best or for the worst, depending on the IEM itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back