Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 28, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #40,051 of 63,832
What made you "settle" on the C10? Finances? :wink: Is that price in USD? It is cheaper but not much different from Gearbest.
Settled on c10 because I know its super comfortable already, Its $24, and I am genuinely interested in a more refined ZSN. I personally love ZSN. If I could cross ZSN with a smidge of the technicals of the ZS10 I would probably be set on phones for the near future. That would allow me to set my sights on Hiby R6 Pro as my end game DAP.
BTW ordered about 2 hours ago and already have positive feedback and a tracking number. Hopeful that this is one of them 7-10 day epacket deals.

Also Gearbest is $38. $24 is cheapest I have seen.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #40,053 of 63,832
I see, so the main role of a 30 ohm, 75 ohm, etc adapter is to lower the noise between the source and headphones so the music sounds more crisp and authentic to how it was supposed to sound originally?

But the adapter itself could also change the sound signature of the headphones potentially but not always making the music sound not as good?

I'm curious why no one has brought up Sound Hacks before, whether they work or not... it's always, "Buy the new KZ, this new KZ sounds amazing, etc".

What about not buying a new KZ and using a sound hack to make your current KZ sound better and hence save more money? Maybe no one knows any sound hacks other than this ohm adapter? If it works...because you're the only person I've seen talking about it.
IEMs are usually sensitive to the noise floor, the one that you feel especially when listen to a player that was started but wasn't still play a song.
Using the same source, with bigger headphones, that have higher impedance, you may not feel anything on the floor, like it is dark/void.
It's not about crispness, like they suggest as advertising, but just put a resistance in between for take away, or minimize, that disturbance.
There's other kind of better/more costly solutions, renowned here, like the iFi Ear Buddy and iEMatch. A simpler adapter is just cheaper.

Putting an higher resistance in between can also change the response on some way, especially with this kind of hybrids, where dynamics drivers and BAs can create a strange impedance curve on the headphone and react differently to that abnormality.
Who REALLY knows what is doing can also create specific filters for address the response of an headphone on some range of frequencies.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #40,054 of 63,832
went away for a full week and its return of the ramblings of sound science here, it seems

sigh, so many random info being spouted around, really hoping reviews of the AS06 are released soon
AS06 is released already

by the way, i am sorry for the ramblings from my side

IEMs are usually sensitive to the noise floor, the one that you feel especially when listen to a player that was started but wasn't still play a song.
Using the same source, with bigger headphones, that have higher impedance, you may not feel anything on the floor, like it is dark/void.
It's not about crispness, like they suggest as advertising, but just put a resistance in between for take away, or minimize, that disturbance.
There's other kind of better/more costly solutions, renowned here, like the iFi Ear Buddy and iEMatch. A simpler adapter is just cheaper.

Putting an higher resistance in between can also change the response on some way, especially with this kind of hybrids, where dynamics drivers and BAs can create a strange impedance curve on the headphone and react differently to that abnormality.
Who REALLY knows what is doing can also create specific filters for address the response of an headphone on some range of frequencies.

simpler design iem are not affected that much. simple two way wont get that much impedance curves, and dynamic and BA are more advance compared to AKG k3003. Noise from source is damped though, which sound nice

more complex electronic crossovered design will get the effect

and hybrids are more sensitive to impedance shift, but its okay for 2way or 3way with simple low pass and high pass filter.

this is my last tech rambling though @Zerohour88 :grin:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #40,056 of 63,832
went away for a full week and its return of the ramblings of sound science here.......really hoping reviews of the AS06 are released soon

Thus far, B9 has posted his initial impressions on the AS06
https://thecontraptionist.blog/2018/12/20/kz-as06-preview/amp/

Clegg (Porta-Fi) has posted his impressions of the AS06

and HBB has posted his initial impressionsof the AS06.

Clear has posted his impressions of the new CCA C10
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2660#post-14677035

and someone with literally ZERO history here on Head-Fi posted some preliminary ZS7 impressions:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zs7-knowledge-zenith.23485/reviews#review-21375

A good rule of thumb before ingesting the feedback is to know your reviewer's tastes before you filter through said feedback.

B29mYo5.gif

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #40,059 of 63,832
Thus far, B9 has posted his initial impressions on the AS06
https://thecontraptionist.blog/2018/12/20/kz-as06-preview/amp/

and someone with literally ZERO history here on Head-Fi posted some preliminary ZS7 impressions:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zs7-knowledge-zenith.23485/reviews#review-21375

A good rule of thumb before ingesting the feedback is to know your reviewer's tastes before you filter through said feedback.

Hope this was helpful.

I'm sure its helpful to some readers here and as you said, B9 is one of the reviewers I trust. Seems even crab likes it so far? Bisonicr has also posted his review of the AS06, but he's quite positive about most IEM he reviews, not that that's bad.

ZS7 is still a bit of an unknown, no updates of it on both the official KZ weibo, tmall and aliexpress store. Looking at the box, it does look legit (same as the AS06? other than the reversed left-right slots). Also, that blue color, whew, looks even better than the renders.

and one last mention about the sound science thing @dhruvmeena96, I honestly don't mind if its only a simple explanation about how certain things might work (the difference between a headphone impedance adapter and attenuator, for example), but try to simplify it or don't ramble on about details that don't matter. Its a complicated enough matter that people don't need the hassle of deciphering some technical mumbo-jumbo.

of course, its just one man's opinion and if others actually like the rambling, carry on

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #40,060 of 63,832
I'm sure its helpful to some readers here and as you said, B9 is one of the reviewers I trust. Seems even crab likes it so far? Bisonicr has also posted his review of the AS06, but he's quite positive about most IEM he reviews, not that that's bad.

ZS7 is still a bit of an unknown, no updates of it on both the official KZ weibo, tmall and aliexpress store. Looking at the box, it does look legit (same as the AS06? other than the reversed left-right slots). Also, that blue color, whew, looks even better than the renders.

and one last mention about the sound science thing @dhruvmeena96, I honestly don't mind if its only a simple explanation about how certain things might work (the difference between a headphone impedance adapter and attenuator, for example), but try to simplify it or don't ramble on about details that don't matter. Its a complicated enough matter that people don't need the hassle of deciphering some technical mumbo-jumbo.

of course, its just one man's opinion and if others actually like the rambling, carry on
okey dokey
no probs

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #40,061 of 63,832
Sorry, have to get this off my chest and out of my mind:

KZ has issue with random peak burst and decay in treble which impedance adapter fix

My question is simple. I was confused so I asked. That statement I quoted above alleges an issue with KZ earphones in general with regard to the phrase "random peak burst and decay" and the subtext is that somehow all KZ earphones have an inherent inability to deal with it. Whatever it is.

I own KZ earphones. I enjoy them. I love them.

I have extolled their reproduction of the music I love in this thread, the KZ impressions thread of head-fi.

So I am curious why after all these thousands of pages of posts here this supposed issue has surfaced only now.

I have invested time and passion in my KZ earphones and if there's something inherently technically wrong with them I think I deserve a moment in a single post to ask the nature of such flaw. And to follow up on said post.

Yes, I agree it would inevitably dwell on science, but I believe it's not much different to when someone asks what is it that makes certain KZ cables audibly inferior to others. Questions that are common in this thread.

Such questions however cover a mere subset; dhruvmeena96's statement implies an inherent flaw in all KZ earphones.

His statement was made here. So I asked my question about it, here.

It has not been answered yet.

What I got instead was more technicalese about me getting my hands on decay charts, etc., and vague allusions to someone doing this and finding that.

And an invitation to PM him as regards it all.

I'm afraid I must respectfully decline to do so. I have already asked my question.

It, as is his statement, hangs in the air.

Moving on... it's almost 2019! The AS06 is on its way and will be in my ears very soon!
:smile_phones:

Hope it fits. :thinking:

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #40,062 of 63,832
Sorry, have to get this off my chest and out of my mind:

My question is simple. I was confused so I asked. That statement I quoted above alleges an issue with KZ earphones in general with regard to the phrase "random peak burst and decay" and the subtext is that somehow all KZ earphones have an inherent inability to deal with it. Whatever it is.

I own KZ earphones. I enjoy them. I love them.

I have extolled their reproduction of the music I love in this thread, the KZ impressions thread of head-fi.

So I am curious why after all these thousands of pages of posts here this supposed issue has surfaced only now.

I have invested time and passion in my KZ earphones and if there's something inherently technically wrong with them I think I deserve a moment in a single post to ask the nature of such flaw. And to follow up on said post.

Yes, I agree it would inevitably dwell on science, but I believe it's not much different to when someone asks what is it that makes certain KZ cables audibly inferior to others. Questions that are common in this thread.

Such questions however cover a mere subset; dhruvmeena96's statement implies an inherent flaw in all KZ earphones.

His statement was made here. So I asked my question about it, here.

It has not been answered yet.

What I got instead was more technicalese about me getting my hands on decay charts, etc., and vague allusions to someone doing this and finding that.

And an invitation to PM him as regards it all.

I'm afraid I must respectfully decline to do so. I have already asked my question.

It, as is his statement, hangs in the air.

Moving on... it's almost 2019! The AS06 is on its way and will be in my ears very soon!
:smile_phones:

Hope it fits. :thinking:
This was posted already if you go back in pages
actually thrice
once by me earlier

by the way, KZ is okay, that decay and treble roughness actually define what KZ sound is, aggressive on details and good bass for price. KZ has one of the craziest aggression on detailing and KZ ZS6 was able to get the Tape recorder Hiss reduced by sound engineer come back(The most aggressive). Only KZ which really nails on spectrum chart are KZ ED9, KZ ED16 and legendary KZ ZS5v1, which has become a rarity.

Technically understanding, the peaks are resonances of BA. In BA, the resonance part is the driver internals, its spout or mouth(Helmholtz resonance), Tubing and your ear. KZ BA are underdamped BA, which has some good nice details which used to be sourced from Bellsing in old time. KZ started manufacturing or sourcing custom BA after some time which are way better.

Old KZ ZST vs new ZST vs ES4.

But they still have not mastered the art of BA, and Bellsing have also upped their game in recent times with measured graph and specs on ALI

but the imperfectness is what defines KZ house sound. Nobody like overdamped music, which sound lifeless and most of people dont enjoy Etymotic.

But for me, KZ was getting sibilant and i used Eq and other stuff to fix, but i never got it to fix it, i thought drivers are getting forced to produce music, which after an impedance adapter, actually fixed it, noise was gone and sound was smooth and effortless, since then i am using this setup for all KZ

respect of AS10, they sound good and i use 20ohm adapter with it to sound very nice

everybody has different taste, and i dont like aggressive sound, i like bright and neutral with some nice extended bass

well this brand goes on experimenting, slowly evolving instead of getting some predefined config design....which is good and bad at same time

so many design needs huge investment

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #40,064 of 63,832
Is ZS7 an experiment from KZ ?? Like if people really prefer its sound, we'll make an official announcement.. if they don't we'll release a v2 of these ??

like the ED16, they probably just released it as a throwaway model, not a part of their official lineup. Basically until stocks run out. My take, the team thought they could improve the ZS6 more and wanted to release it, but the main KZ didn't want to make their current lineup more convoluted.

its weird to be bringing up a v2 when there's barely such issue after the ZS5v2 debacle. They don't need to make a v2, they'll just release a new model if they wanted a different tuning. They learned from their own knee-jerk reaction of changing an ongoing, released model back then.

its not like a few other chi-fi companies who can just release a v2 and not get a huge backlash from the customers

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #40,065 of 63,832
Does anyone have the ED15? Are they worth owning, assuming I don't mind the fixed cable?

I have the ED15 and to be honest I rarely use it.

It has a V shaped sound signature which I am okay with but my problem is with the fitment / comfort as it has a weird vacuum feel when you put them in the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back