Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 15, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #39,618 of 63,803
Is it only me or what? Received the ZSN and it sounds trash compared to my ZS5v1. Everything else is amazing though from the looks to the fit and comfort.

The difference is like going from 320kbps to 128kbps. EXACLTY like this.

And yeah my ES4 and ED16 sounds better too.

Should I get a replacement?

Are you sure they are not out of phase?

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #39,620 of 63,803
Definitely not out of phase.

Quality difference is exactly like how you would go from a higher bit rate audio to something like 128kbps.
Do they sound muffled and lack in detail?
Maybe test another cable? I really doubt it could make that much of a difference though :/
They could be defective as we've seen some QC issues pop up for the ZSN in this thread (aka the "hole" situation)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #39,622 of 63,803
Is it only me or what? Received the ZSN and it sounds trash compared to my ZS5v1. Everything else is amazing though from the looks to the fit and comfort.

That sounds to me like a non-functioning BA armature(s)...probably defective! :point_left:
I would strongly advice you to replace them. Several years back, I experienced this same situation, twice! -Not a good feeling at all.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #39,623 of 63,803
Good info that I had

Zs7 has same DD than zs10 !

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #39,624 of 63,803
Is it only me or what? Received the ZSN and it sounds trash compared to my ZS5v1.

I hope it's not true! :frowning2: But it sounds like you got a bad pair. Who did you order it from? Mine are coming in the next 2-4 weeks (hopefully... Canada Post) so I'll let you know what I think compared to the ES4/ED16.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #39,626 of 63,803
Received the ZSN a dew days ago, didn't have time for extended listening but KZ nailed it. These things are, like the ZST, very comfy to my ears. The sound these produce for the price is insane. I dig the design so much; I considered ordering this solely for the design. Value-wise if you look at the whole package I'd imagine nothing really comes close.

Comparing the ZSN to my BQ3 they sound quite similar. The ZSN to my ears, has ever so slightly more detail retrieval but also sounds a bit harsher as a result. Especially noticable is that mids are more forward, cymbals and claps more 'in your face'. The BQ3 sounds a bit more chilled out in this regard, sound a bit more refined to me. To my ears, the BQ3 show more coherency over the whole frequency spectrum, especially the lower to mid side. However.. the BQ3 costs at least twice as much.

If I had to choose only one and toss the other, I'd probably go with the BQ3.
Did you compare the sound quality when both ZSN and BQ3 are using the TRN cable? It's not a fair review if they weren't. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #39,627 of 63,803

Check to see if is wired "out of phase". Mine was, and I was initially a bit disappointed in it. Here is a check:

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Dec 15, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #39,628 of 63,803
Hi, so I've been watching this thread for a while, and I want to finally get myself an iem from KZ!

It's my first time actually getting higher grade iem than what you get from phones and such, so I want to find the perfect one, suiting my needs and at the same time being a good enough all-rounder to enjoy what a good iem sounds like.
My budget is 50€, so I can pretty much buy any iem Kz currently offers, the question is wich one?

I'm looking for an immersive and deep sound, that would submerge me into the music i'm listening to. I'm not really a bass head, but I listen to pretty much any genre, mainly classical ( I would rather use my headphones for that, but it's still a genre I'll listen to quite a bit ), rock, jpop, dance, funk and a lot of instrumentals.

The point I want it to emphasize are sound clarity, details and a little treble but not too harsh or sibilant. I don't care that much about how wide is the soundstage, but I want the sound imaging and instrument separation to be top-notch ( like being surrounded by the instruments and voices ). I guess, since I want an immersive sound, it has to be a "in your face" and kind of intimate sounding iem.

I initially planned to get the Zs 5, but the newer version seemed to be a let-down, then the Zs6, but sibilance issues, now I'm planning to get the AS10, is it the right one for me? I've heard of new products coming out soon, should I wait for those?

I hope you guys can help me, it's kind of hard to keep up with every product coming out.

Edit: Also I've got a 2.5 balanced output from my dac/amp, can I use it with Kz iems? Do I need a specific cable, if so, which one ?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #39,629 of 63,803
I just bought a HIFIMAN Megamini DAP on Amazon for $62USD. The price changed from $60USD today on E-Bay to $260USD with shipping but Amazon's price stayed the same. Has anyone used this DAP with KZ's? Any favorite pairings?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #39,630 of 63,803
Hi, so I've been watching this thread for a while, and I want to finally get myself an iem from KZ!

It's my first time actually getting higher grade iem than what you get from phones and such, so I want to find the perfect one, suiting my needs and at the same time being a good enough all-rounder to enjoy what a good iem sounds like.
My budget is 50€, so I can pretty much buy any iem Kz currently offers, the question is wich one?

I'm looking for an immersive and deep sound, that would submerge me into the music i'm listening to. I'm not really a bass head, but I listen to pretty much any genre, mainly classical ( I would rather use my headphones for that, but it's still a genre I'll listen to quite a bit ), rock, jpop, dance, funk and a lot of instrumentals.

The point I want it to emphasize are sound clarity, details and a little treble but not too harsh or sibilant. I don't care that much about how wide is the soundstage, but I want the sound imaging and instrument separation to be top-notch ( like being surrounded by the instruments and voices ). I guess, since I want an immersive sound, it has to be a "in your face" and kind of intimate sounding iem.

I initially planned to get the Zs 5, but the newer version seemed to be a let-down, then the Zs6, but sibilance issues, now I'm planning to get the AS10, is it the right one for me? I've heard of new products coming out soon, should I wait for those?

I hope you guys can help me, it's kind of hard to keep up with every product coming out.

Edit: Also I've got a 2.5 balanced output from my dac/amp, can I use it with Kz iems? Do I need a specific cable, if so, which one ?

I’d go with a TinAudio T2, since you listen to classical. The regular T2, not the Pro.

It’s a perfect all-rounder. It’s a lot of IEM for the money. Right in your budget range, metal shell, mmcx cables, can be worn up or down, can be driven by pretty much any source.

KZs are going to be too v shaped IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back