Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 13, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #39,541 of 63,670
I wish someone with equipment would do comparison between OOTB ZSN vs. ~100h playtime ZSN.
Why?
Well, I`m not sure but it seems that my purple ZSN highs have "calmed down" littlebit.
I have let them play around 90h without listening and I hear that treble between around 2.5-5kHz have "softer" timbre and not so "screetching/metallic" as before. I can now raise 6kHz EQ bar on my QNGEE X2 one notch higher without getting so "harsh" but still give some extra "sprinkle" at highs. For example I can now listen to Twelve Foot Ninja - Outlier without melting my ears off from hot treble and cymbals sound not so "metallic/digital" as before.
Maybe I`m just having placebo, idk

Challenge accepted! When they arrive. I don't think we will see any changes in the freq response graph, but am open to suggestions on other measurements.

You have 2? one with ~100h playtime (with music and pink/white noise mixed) and other coming as new?
I`m also suspecting FR graphs wont show any difference but who knows, maybe. Waiting for comparison.

That's great! I know these measurements are a pain but it would be nice to have FR graphs of the ZSN with different eartips as well—foam vs. silicone, wide vs. narrow. If you have them, comparisons with the AS10 and ZS6 (with overlays) would be even nicer.
:kissing_heart:

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #39,542 of 63,670
Photo would help. I am thinking it would not look right... especially if the connector is not clear like the bit on the shell.

None of the connectors are clear, other than the stock ZSN cables.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #39,543 of 63,670
Don’t forget, you can use the ZSN with any KZ or TRN cable. It just sticks up a tiny bit.

I’ve tested the ZSN with the old KZ upgrade cables, the new TRN fldual color 8-wire braided cables, the TRN BT10, the BQEYZ stock cable, TRN silver cable, and the TRN BT20.

It fits with all of them (just sticks up as mentioned).

I can post a photo if you want.

Yes, that is what I had to do to fix my out of phase ZSN. I used an old ZS3 "straight up"-connector cable and turned one of the connectors around (to fix the out phase problem). I tried this with the angled connector cables that it came with, but the reversed side was impossible to use.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #39,544 of 63,670
I've always considered the ATR one of the greatest of sleepers in the KZ pantheon just like the HDS3, EDR1 and ED3 "Perfection".

The ATR is difficult to find through a reputable seller. It can be done but stock is depleting and once they're gone.......

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-atr-in-ear-monitor.23032/reviews
It's pretty easy to find the ATR on Aliexpress, some sellers have 1,000 but I wonder if that's all the stock they have access to and not necessarily the stock in their warehouse.

It looks like the EDR1 is the only model for sale left of your fave 3.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #39,545 of 63,670
You have 2? one with ~100h playtime (with music and pink/white noise mixed) and other coming as new?
I`m also suspecting FR graphs wont show any difference but who knows, maybe. Waiting for comparison.
I ordered the purple and the green, both still on the slow boat somewhere. They will both be fresh.

That's great! I know these measurements are a pain but it would be nice to have FR graphs of the ZSN with different eartips as well—foam vs. silicone, wide vs. narrow. If you have them, comparisons with the AS10 and ZS6 (with overlays) would be even nicer.
:kissing_heart:

Well this just turned into a research project...didn't see that coming.:clipboard::)

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #39,546 of 63,670
Since the latest version of the ATR has the exact same driver as the ATE, it may be easier/cheaper to find an ATE.
I'm not sure what you mean? The ATR is easier to fine then the ATE on Aliexpress. I find the ATR cheaper than the ATE as well, especially if it might have the same driver. I guess if someone wants an original ATE for some reason than that would be hard to find...

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #39,547 of 63,670
I'm not sure what you mean? The ATR is easier to fine then the ATE on Aliexpress. I find the ATR cheaper than the ATE as well, especially if it might have the same driver. I guess if someone wants an original ATE for some reason than that would be hard to find...

The ATE has gone through 5 revisions. The current version has a red-shelled driver.

The ATR has gone through 2 revisions. The 1st had a blue-shelled driver, and the current version has the same red-shelled driver as the ATE.

The red driver sounds better than the blue driver.

The ATR and ATE use the same shell, with the only major difference being the type of plastic used - the ATRs shell is polycarbonate (a stronger higher grade plastic).

The polycarbonate-shelled ATR with the red driver is the “best” out of all of the ATE and ATR revisions. It has the best plastic shell combined with the best sounding driver.

Unfortunately, ordering an ATR does not guarantee which version you’ll get. Out of the 2 ATR I own, both are the older blue driver version. The only way to know for sure is to have the seller look down the nozzle with a flashlight and you can see which color driver is present.

@CoiL is the resident ATE and ATR expert. I’m sure he will chime in and tell me if I missed any info :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #39,548 of 63,670
The ATE has gone through 5 revisions. The current version has a red-shelled driver.

The ATR has gone through 2 revisions. The 1st had a blue-shelled driver, and the current version has the same red-shelled driver as the ATE.

The red driver sounds better than the blue driver.

The ATR and ATE use the same shell, with the only major difference being the type of plastic used - the ATRs shell is polycarbonate (a stronger higher grade plastic).

The polycarbonate-shelled ATR with the red driver is the “best” out of all of the ATE and ATR revisions. It has the best plastic shell combined with the best sounding driver.

Unfortunately, ordering an ATR does not guarantee which version you’ll get. Out of the 2 ATR I own, both are the older blue driver version. The only way to know for sure is to have the seller look down the nozzle with a flashlight and you can see which color driver is present.

@CoiL is the resident ATE and ATR expert. I’m sure he will chime in and tell me if I missed any info :)
Slater I tell you that both you and Coil could write a thick book on the subject of KZ products.
:smile_phones:

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #39,550 of 63,670
Out of the 2 ATR I own, both are the older blue driver version. The only way to know for sure is to have the seller look down the nozzle with a flashlight and you can see which color driver is present.:)
Why do you need a flashlight to see the driver? Is the screen different than it? I know they are different... but my screen is red and can be seen with the naked eye.

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #39,553 of 63,670
For those who want to know more on the KZ and CCA, brother and sister team...

Checkout my post: Post #20593

-Clear :wink::thumbsup:
Please, please, Clear if ever you post your impressions of your cyan CCA C10 there via-a-vis your ZSN (also cyan, right?) could you provide a link? It would even be nicer if you post your thoughts here, with the ZSN as reference complete with side-by-side pics.
:kissing_smiling_eyes:

With the exception of the faceplate both models really could be mistaken for each other. Fraternal twins. Only that from a KZ perspective the CCA C10 is a true hybrid; the internals of the ZS10 placed in the body of the ZSN. Btw that published FR graph of the CCA C10 looks decidedly W-shaped. Hope that does not translate to a Weird sound signature. One thing for sure—it would be comfortable.

Excited! :)

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #39,554 of 63,670
A wild zs7 appears!
xFHnJGML1xpNBi7t5Mijb5Hx0Q27sBvGJkKnwBV4z5yWdiphXsVVFWZaw-ziXTU2cjis3XFFi30qeuF6lg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
DuXtzbNVsAIn00W.jpg
DuXt0xZVAAABNKO.jpg
DuXt1m0U8AAauDO.jpg

DuXtygrVsAAv_RW.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #39,555 of 63,670
Photo would help. I am thinking it would not look right... especially if the connector is not clear like the bit on the shell.
Got my cyan ZSN yesterday (thank you, postal elves!)

To try to answer your questions - a balanced KZ cable (type B) fits reasonably OK. There is a gap, but the connection is fairly secure
15447879638958888666873008107491.jpg

(The image is the cyan/aqua trio of KZ ZS10, AS10 and ZSN, which I finally managed to upload decently :))
Fast first impressions of ZSN (a busy time of the year now...) - only one hole on a back plate and very nice construction, great fit!
The sound is quite nice, close to AS10 in many aspects - real little sibling and quite amazing for under $20 Can :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back