Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #38,311 of 63,671
I think I must collect KZs too lol! Or at least iems...

So the ZSNs arrived today as well as the AS10s. I already had the the AS10s but returned them when I searched for my mid-bass iem. Gonna try a foam mod insert like on my KZS6s instead of the cotton which muffled the sound too much.

About the ZSNs, the hype is true! They have punchy bass and good treble clarity without being overly sibilant. The mids are okay but that's always the case with KZs. Proper equalizing is need to bring out the W shape. The instrument separation is great and sound stage is big but not huge like the AS10 or ZS6. I'd call it a mini AS10 or ZS6 but bigger than the ZSA. The seal is perfect with foams which I seem to have a problem with on the odder shaped KZs. Generally I'd have to use triple flanges on those tough to seal but not these. They are as perfect fitting as the ZSAs or TFZ Queens which is really high praise. All that being said, these are gift to my girlfriend and this her first set of iems lol! She's tried my Fiios, IMRs, other KZs and seemed to like them. She's probably not used to the over the ear thing and just uses those AKGs that came with her Samsung. She did say the ZSNs sounded a bit better but I really do think she can't tell a difference lol! Definitely not an audio nut like us here...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #38,312 of 63,671
Hey, there's nothing wrong with collecting KZ! I was just making a comment guys. :wink:

Somehow KZ has figured out how to hit the brand train just like McDonalds has, and we're here for the good times and won't go away anytime soon.

no worries, you were just saying what some of the lurkers will be thinking.

in case you were wondering what I meant by touched upon, Slater pretty much summed up that despite the overload of models, each lineup or "series" in the KZ stable had around 1 year or so duration before release (like the ZST from ZSN), so it stands to reason that they do have pretty much an upgrade schedule in mind to keep the brand fresh on the minds of buyers. Kind of like Intel previously with their tick-tock upgrade model.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #38,313 of 63,671
its here, ZSN BT cable
on KZ official store
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ord-Applies-Original/1358152_32955926330.html

XEK6wYNEru4Bt0P2Em97ansMFRm29kFSx1n8ijCMbB0rqa9-oXd8gz77MzL2JMcv125DIJcgQTQYX6OqsA=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Great!...Finally! :beerchug:

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #38,315 of 63,671
Not just collecting, also using daily.

These were my very first KZs. They are holding up pretty well.

IMG_20181120_112740.jpg

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #38,316 of 63,671
i just checked out for the trn v80's and got lots of cashback making the zsn only cost $10 ... welp *rip allowances lol*

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #38,317 of 63,671
Not just collecting, also using daily.

These were my very first KZs. They are holding up pretty well.

Nice Mellow, see you run foamies on yours, as I mentioned yesterday I ran across my old ATE's in my work shed this weekend! Those and my VJJB's were relegated to outdoor work duties:wink:

@Slater , finally found your re-worked tri-braid last night (Now on ZSA's). Most of my KZ are in their own KZ case but a few I keep with grab and go DAP's:grin: Really think the tri-braid looks sweet in black:thumbsup:

Grab-N-Goes.JPG

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #38,318 of 63,671
Nice Mellow, see you run foamies on yours, as I mentioned yesterday I ran across my old ATE's in my work shed this weekend! Those and my VJJB's were relegated to outdoor work duties:wink:

@Slater , finally found your re-worked tri-braid last night (Now on ZSA's). Most of my KZ are in their own KZ case but a few I keep with grab and go DAP's:grin: Really think the tri-braid looks sweet in black:thumbsup:

Hey Pods, the ATE are better used with wide bore silicone tips for clearer treble, but the foamies here are necessary for comfort and to keep them in place, as they keep jumping off my ears when using silicone. For outdoor duties, when I want better isolation, I use the "bad" pair of ZS3 (newer generations, shiny shell, Slatermodded), also with foams.

Lately I've been testing inverted foams, i.e.:

IMG_20181120_145137.jpg
The AS10, in this configuration, sounds even better for my taste. Inverting the foams puts the end of the nozzle really close to the end of the foam, lowering the reflections on the tip's rubber inner tube. The shells go a little bit deeper but the foam stays a little bit shallow on the ear. The result is a great fit, less intrusion of the foam in the sound signature, more skin to reflect the sound from the insertion plane to the inner ear. Just try it!!!

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #38,319 of 63,671
Hey Pods, the ATE are better used with wide bore silicone tips for clearer treble, but the foamies here are necessary for comfort and to keep them in place, as they keep jumping off my ears when using silicone. For outdoor duties, when I want better isolation, I use the "bad" pair of ZS3 (newer generations, shiny shell, Slatermodded), also with foams.

Lately I've been testing inverted foams, i.e.:

The AS10, in this configuration, sounds even better for my taste. Inverting the foams puts the end of the nozzle really close to the end of the foam, lowering the reflections on the tip's rubber inner tube. The shells go a little bit deeper but the foam stays a little bit shallow on the ear. The result is a great fit, less intrusion of the foam in the sound signature, more skin to reflect the sound from the insertion plane to the inner ear. Just try it!!!

Pod's not a big foamy user but that concept looks to make sense so I'll have to give it a try lord knows I've got enough variety of foamies lying around since I really don't use them! The ones I've tried I always seem to lose some treble:frowning: We are going to have to change Slater's handle to Slodder with all the tricks he seems to come up with:wink::grin:

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #38,320 of 63,671
Great!...Finally! :beerchug:

I hope KZ fixed the problem with that bluetooth cable. I had one (not the one for ZSN) and the signal always cut out even when I am using it on my desktop. It is a shame as it has good sound, but the intermittent signal out is a deal breaker for me at least.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #38,321 of 63,671
I hope KZ fixed the problem with that bluetooth cable. I had one (not the one for ZSN) and the signal always cut out even when I am using it on my desktop. It is a shame as it has good sound, but the intermittent signal out is a deal breaker for me at least.

I don't trust their bluetooth at all for the same reasons. Just go with any of the TRNs. Works flawlessly (except the mics kinda suck).

What was the deal with the last KZ bluetooth that looked like the TRN? Did it end up having connectivity issues as well? Anyone want to share their experience with it?

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #38,322 of 63,671
I don't trust their bluetooth at all for the same reasons. Just go with any of the TRNs. Works flawlessly (except the mics kinda suck).

What was the deal with the last KZ bluetooth that looked like the TRN? Did it end up having connectivity issues as well? Anyone want to share their experience with it?

Well, don’t forget that TRN royally screwed up the BT10, with many of them wired out of phase.

Although, at least that can be fixed with soldering skills. The KZ Bluetooth cables have a dodgy design, which can’t be fixed by the end customer.

So it’s kind of a ‘pick your poison’ situation.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #38,323 of 63,671
@Slater , finally found your re-worked tri-braid last night (Now on ZSA's).......Really think the tri-braid looks sweet in black:thumbsup:

Indeed, they do look great. I'll be coupling my black tri-braids to my black ZS6. Awesome sauce all around. Slater is the man!

Also, KZ's new silver/copper cable is going to look great on my grey ZS6.

ZS6-In-Ear-Earphones-With-Mic-Grey-Black_24418783_85e51f6a35c5962bd0c995645aeaba2b.jpg

HTB1_8XqXvfsK1RjSszgq6yXzpXau.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Four or five years ago no one would have believed that an aluminum shelled 2BA+2DD hybrid with handsome detachable cables and fantastic tuning would be available for less than $45 ($33 - ZS6 @ KZ Official Store + $11 - silver/copper cable @ KZ Official Store =$44).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back