Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #36,931 of 63,643
KZ has released ZSN on their official AE page:

HTB12UM8XorrK1RkSne1q6ArVVXa8.jpg

HTB1nNo7XiDxK1RjSsD4q6z1DFXaO.jpg

HTB1WUk7gQvoK1RjSZFNq6AxMVXaN.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #36,932 of 63,643
You are absolutely correct about the 4khz drop that makes the sound signature more palatable on the ZSR (and apparently the ED16). No big surprise that those two are among KZ's best sounding IEMs. The 5khz region is precisely where things can be strident on occasion for both the BA10 and the ZS3, though again, it only occurs on occasion.

I should mention that I typically listen at moderate levels, rarely exceeding 30-40% of volume on all DAPs. On my "day out" with the ZSR, a few days ago, I had my ZuneHD at only 30% volume and I could hear everything with absolute clarity and plenty of grunt.

Great IEM!

I've narrowed down the BA10's strengths and weaknesses and should have a full review up in the next few days.
agree 100%--the zsr and ed16 are the best tuned kzs to my ears. otoh i cannot get rid of the stridency in zs4, which otherwise have many virtues

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #36,933 of 63,643
I just received my KZ BA10. This is my first chinese IEM. My only possible comparison is with old Sennheiser HD595, two Yamaha HS5 monitors and cheap ten euros in ear. First impressions just opening the package, these things are beautiful and well manufactured, and smaller than expected. You have the feeling of a premium device.

I am no expert so I will explain with my words. I think I have sensitive hearing though. When I put them in my ear, I can feel the frequency of mid bass very good, and airy treble, like wind. These are the two main powerful sounds in my ear. Sound is quite different to what I am used to. First thing I notice is what you call soundstage is very nice, and I can feel audio and instrument separation like never before. I guess this is the Balanced Armature working.

Treble is windy to the point I almost don't like it. Almost. It is very well hidden by the rest of the good features. I didn't know IEMs could sound this powerful, this deep. I love it. I have just discovered I like to try and hear like someone likes to wear different clothes in different times.

I miss some more mids and other frequencies, I think it is called sub-bass. But I am sure I am going to enjoy this and buy more IEMs. I am wondering if more BAs will give it the features I miss. Or maybe a hybrid will fix this.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #36,934 of 63,643
It's time for some new IEMs, so after some extensive reading, I've purchased the ZS6 and am pretty excited for them to get here. My old HDS1 went missing (lost them at university, I'm sure) and I'd rather not lug around my M-100s at school, so IEMs are they way to go. I have generic Comply foam tips and a set of Ostry OS200 tuners on the way with them to hopefully address the treble and sibilance issues, as well as an upgraded KZ silver-coated braided cable because I absolutely hated the rubbery cables on my HDS1.

I was extremely impressed with my HDS1 and am obviously pretty excited for the ZS6, so needless to say, the next 15-30 days of waiting for the ZS6 and its accompanying friends to arrive are going to be long.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #36,935 of 63,643
It's time for some new IEMs, so after some extensive reading, I've purchased the ZS6 and am pretty excited for them to get here. My old HDS1 went missing (lost them at university, I'm sure) and I'd rather not lug around my M-100s at school, so IEMs are they way to go. I have generic Comply foam tips and a set of Ostry OS200 tuners on the way with them to hopefully address the treble and sibilance issues, as well as an upgraded KZ silver-coated braided cable because I absolutely hated the rubbery cables on my HDS1.

I was extremely impressed with my HDS1 and am obviously pretty excited for the ZS6, so needless to say, the next 15-30 days of waiting for the ZS6 and its accompanying friends to arrive are going to be long.

The ZS6 is a very different sound signature if compared to the HDS1.

The closest IEM to the HDS1 that KZ offers is the ED9 using the brass filters.

19700208_013650.jpg

Not my graphs:

HDS1
HDS1.fr.png

ED9 (w/ brass filters)
ED9.fr.wide-1.png

I found it best to pull out the foam inserts from the gold filters and place them in the brass filters.
Use a toothpick or moisten a q-tip to move them from filter (gold) to filter (brass).

The foam will give the sound signature more body while generally smoothing out and taming the treble you see at 6.5khz.

No getting around those cables, though.

The "old skool" single dynamic ED9 can still hold it's own.....and it's only $12!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-17-16-31-54.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-17-16-31-54.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #36,936 of 63,643

It will be interesting to see how well the titanium film dynamic plays with the 30095.

Titanium diaphragms are generally quite bright. Hopefully when combined with the sharp/sibilant 30095, it isn’t overkill. We’ll just have to wait and see how the final tuning turns out.

I hope it turns out good, because I like the looks of it (and the price will be affordable as well).

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #36,937 of 63,643
The ZS6 is a very different sound signature if compared to the HDS1.

The closest IEM to the HDS1 that KZ offers is the ED9 using the brass filters.

Not my graphs:

HDS1

ED9 (w/ brass filters)

I found it best to pull out the foam inserts from the gold filters and place them in the brass filters.
Use a toothpick or moisten a q-tip to move them from filter (gold) to filter (brass).

The foam will give the sound signature more body while generally smoothing out and taming the treble you see at 6.5khz.

No getting around those cables, though.

The "old skool" single dynamic ED9 can still hold it's own.....and it's only $12!

Thank you for a very informative post, I'm surprised how close the sound signature of the ED9 is to the HDS1 with the brass filters. Although I definitely enjoyed my HDS1, I'm very open to trying out something that sounds a little different and spending a little extra to do so. I'm looking forward to the better sub-bass and more detailed and accurate midrange of the ZS6 over the HDS1 and am hopeful that the tips I chose will work with my ears and remove the harshness everyone is referring to around 10kHz. Here's to hoping! :ksc75smile:

I'm also very excited to leave behind those rubbery cables. I was willing to look past them with the HDS1 because of how much of an amazing value they were, but the microphonics were definitely annoying.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #36,938 of 63,643
It will be interesting to see how well the titanium film dynamic plays with the 30095.

Titanium diaphragms are generally quite bright. Hopefully when combined with the sharp/sibilant 30095, it isn’t overkill. We’ll just have to wait and see how the final tuning turns out.

I hope it turns out good, because I like the looks of it (and the price will be affordable as well).

On their AE page, they showed the graph below. I hope that it is not very accurate; otherwise, the ZSN is going to sound weird :)

HTB1Rl35XffsK1RjSszgq6yXzpXaj.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #36,939 of 63,643
On their AE page, they showed the graph below. I hope that it is not very accurate; otherwise, the ZSN is going to sound weird :)

*It should say no high resolution

Since it doesn't seem to have any :)

Also, agreeed, if that graph is any accurate, it will have a really colored and uneven sound.

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #36,940 of 63,643
KZ - stop stuffing treble BA inside the nozzle right behind mesh!
Secondly, KZ - You should concentrate on midrange BAs as Your DDs (ZS4 for example) are already quite impressive if implemented well.
Thirdly, KZ - Start fine-tuning Your treble BAs by damping, positioning and tuning (but tuning of BA needs also some refinement yet).

Otherwise... no progress, just pumping money from ppl with mediocre IEMs (in context of h-fi). And instead ppl buying newer models (seems like endless), they should put money to higher price level with other brands.

BTW! Seems that ZSN is using same newer DD with green shell as inside ZS4. That gives hope that ZSN is not so bassy as shown on ZSN graph (which is ridiculous and should be avoided).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #36,942 of 63,643
ugh, the ZSN looks nice but that frequency response looks god awful.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #36,943 of 63,643
seems like KZ giving some company to copy their design before they even release it on their own,
or the design is abandoned?
e1pxzX9WaCKyKjozfbFJnao9GdgzVYJ40sPdSEO_6N7_jp3xok3kv1H5vCag6tbKQHgVIDBBN-X6A8zbjw=s0

dRyjUhdkBjzulHaFkr_YkLSIO7XS9fMw1q3krukzOOEDk28WMnZpgzvfqJYLhFQfR-7aEkridF-mV8gNYQ=s0

3fV0YHatU1jSnHKAVoAZCBFkczXtDonP5bcWsvb8Wq86A4ph4OIVdG5-miir0TtGtpHy5Bz_Nn0PzT7mEQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
I think KZ will eventually release it anyway. Maybe they make more profit from selling large batches to resellers with rebranding (like QKZ for example) and thus different packaging and accessories?

Anyway, that shell design looks nice and should be very comfortable as it has slight "concha" shape and relatively small rounded design (kinda reminds IT01).
Would like to try that shell type and green(teal) faceplates+blue shells would look really good imho (but requires 2 pairs to do).

And I`m really looking foward to 1x large DD (sequel to ANV), one with red circle shell.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #36,944 of 63,643
KZ - stop stuffing treble BA inside the nozzle right behind mesh!

+1

Secondly, KZ - You should concentrate on midrange BAs as Your DDs (ZS4 for example) are already quite impressive if implemented well.

+1 x10!

Thirdly, KZ - Start fine-tuning Your treble BAs by damping, positioning and tuning (but tuning of BA needs also some refinement yet).

+1

Otherwise... no progress, just pumping money from ppl with mediocre IEMs (in context of h-fi). And instead ppl buying newer models (seems like endless), they should put money to higher price level with other brands.

+1

Seems that ZSN is using same newer DD with green shell as inside ZS4.

Same exact DD and same exact 30095 BA as ZS4? Hmmm, I suspect ZSN and ZS4 are going to sound similar.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #36,945 of 63,643

That's actually my favorite signature. Almost pure Harman. It will fix the bass bleed overwhelming majority of KZs have, because the bass emphasis seems to roll off quickly for once (meaning that they have a new DD which looks really good, in accordance with the graph). But the highs seem rolled off extremely quickly and severely, also a problem for a considerable portion of Chi-Fi (TRN V80 does it right, in contrast); anyhow, this graph looks like a particularly unacceptable case.
Nevertheless, if this graph is raw, this is the best sounding signature, in my opinion (excepting what happens after 5kHz).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back