Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #36,466 of 63,802
Wow, that’s surprising. The core on the KZ/Tennmak turbo tips are really wide.

How do you keep them from wobbling around on the smaller ZS3 nozzle?

And how far down do you push the tip down on the nozzle? Do you do it all the way until it bottoms out?

I have made lips onto the nozzle using UV glue as you suggested in the past, so, it's not big deal now otherwise it won't fit. But assuming ZS4 has lips now it shouldn't be a problem anymore, right?

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #36,467 of 63,802
Yup both cables ZS3 and ZS6 were mic cables that failed on me. My favorite ear tips are still the stock ear tips from the ZS3. the stock eartips on the ZS6's and 10's don't have that grip that the original ZS3's do.

I avoid mic cables whenever possible for this exact reason. In my experience, ALL mic cables will eventually fail, and it’s usua long before a non-mic version of the same cable.

However, KZs mic cables don’t seem to fail at a higher or lower rate than anyone else’s.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #36,468 of 63,802
i'll be ordering non mic replacement cables in the future. hopefully they last without having those issues. It's also cause i run with my smartphone in my hand so the mic does come in handy. The button on the mic to pause music is also REALLY nice to have if you have to stop and have a conversation with someone.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #36,469 of 63,802
The USB-C cable has indeed a DAC, and improves SQ in most embedded smartphone DACs/amps. I believe this should not be valid for some flagship or music-designed smartphones, but for midrange smartphones such as mine, the difference is notorious. I can get the same amplitude with the KZ cable at 1/3 volume, as the 3.5 standard jack at full volume. As for the quality, the improvement is very satisfying. I could not get the ZS5 (v1) rocking with the standard jack. Sound would get easily congested and dull. With the KZ cable, there is much more detail, better bass extension and control (in fact the bass gets this very satisfying "snappyness"), much better mids and instrument placement. It amounts for a better sonic experience overall. One interesting thing is that I could not get the KZ to play more than 96KHz, although it is featured in the technical details that it goes up to 192.

I am definitely going to load FLAC onto my SD and load it into my Galaxy S9.

I have both versions of this cable, and as long as my 60+ year old Sound Funnels can tell the difference I will report back.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #36,470 of 63,802
Was going to order PHB-023 as my daily workhorse... but now... damn that ZS7 -.- ! I hope price is within 20-30$.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #36,471 of 63,802
Was going to order PHB-023 as my daily workhorse... but now... damn that ZS7 -.- ! I hope price is within 20-30$.

The ZS7 does look cool but it just looks like the ZS6 in blue in my opinion. After using my PHB-023 for a couple of days I feel like this is what the ZS6 should have sounded like as it still has great bass but without the overly harsh treble.

IMG_20180920_203736.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #36,472 of 63,802
The ZS7 does look cool but it just looks like the ZS6 in blue in my opinion. After using my PHB-023 for a couple of days I feel like this is what the ZS6 should have sounded like as it still has great bass but without the overly harsh treble.
M`kay... maybe I wont wait then and still go for PHB (I like those accessories too).

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #36,473 of 63,802
I have made lips onto the nozzle using UV glue as you suggested in the past, so, it's not big deal now otherwise it won't fit. But assuming ZS4 has lips now it shouldn't be a problem anymore, right?

Awesome! +1 for the UV glue lip

An alternate method I’ve been using involves heat shrink tubing. It works even better than the UV glue method.

Simply cut a very small piece of (tight fitting) heat shrink tubing, and put it at the very end of the nozzle. Then gently (but quickly) heat the tubing to shrink it, making sure not to damage the IEM body or drivers from overheating. Sometimes I need to add a 2nd piece of tubing over the 1st, to build it up a little thicker. The end result is making my own lip at the end of the nozzle.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #36,474 of 63,802
@B9Scrambler - Here are the MiniDSP measurements I made last night. Green is the AS10, and red is the BA10.

KZ BA10 vs AS10 FR IDF Compensated.jpg KZ BA10 vs AS10 Raw FR.jpg

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #36,475 of 63,802
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #36,476 of 63,802

From the description of the poster, with no other information available, I'm guessing that its basically a ZS6 case packed with the ZS10 internals. ( 1DD + 4 BA configuration )

Which actually would be pretty cool to me as I have a better fit on the ZS6 than the ZS10 and I really like the sound signature of the ZS10 ( assuming the tuning is the same or at least close.). As the rolled off treble makes for a nice multi-hour session earphone, without losing any of the details.

Something I couldn't do with the ZS6, as the hot treble and sibilance is really quite a harsh combination.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #36,477 of 63,802

Per the measuring stick above, BA10 has boosted bass, sibilant bright, and lacking air missing sparkle.
It has also hollow voices, and romantically mellow sounding.
I got this one on: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd688/

I will tell you this, there is not romance between me and this IEM. I am going to be honest. It's really hard for me to wear this IEM and listen to music with. It doesn't sound bad, but its physically painful to wear due to the size, shape and weight. Maybe someone who is larger than I with bigger ears can handle it more.

They TRN V80 is heavier, by a good margin (8.6 grams), but its small and fits comfortably in the ear. These are big and bulky and weight 6.9 grams vs 5.4 for the AS10 and 4.6 for the T2 Pro.

The BA10 is acutally not as wide as the AS10, but since its square-ish instead of round, it sticks out and unfortunately it basically pushes into my ear. Also these dont work for me wearing cable down and flipping sides either. Same pain but in different locations.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #36,478 of 63,802
Sep 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #36,479 of 63,802
Nope, same version. That extra bass business was just marketing fluff made up to sell the new grey color.

Thanks then, i was thinking about that but it was even good asking as these chinese companies often edit their products without even saying ahahah

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #36,480 of 63,802
@B9Scrambler - Here are the MiniDSP measurements I made last night. Green is the AS10, and red is the BA10.

Interesting. So basically the BA-10 has exactly the same bass performance of the AS-10 but the AS-10 is less bright and treble-forward? It seems like the AS-10 is more mellow than the BA-10?

What does the graph of the ZS-10 look like?

Would you happen to have a website or database of all the frequency response graphs of the headphones you've tested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back