1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Karael
    I've been following this thread for a while and got curious about the latest KZ ED16 so I decided to give it a try myself. However, the only stores that seem to have this product available atm are the ones at Aliexpress which have pretty bad reputation in here. So I'm kinda stuck in this dilemma for now since I meant to get them as a present to someone and I'm not sure if its worth waiting for some more reliable seller to get them on stock. I'd appreciate any advice!

2. Zerohour88
    I've abused it for a few months, the cables are a bit iffy (already turned yellow-ish now), but so far so good. Removable cables would've been nice (and mitigate the so-so cable issue), but its super cheap, can't knock it for that. Thought about buying another as a spare, but there's so many things to try now that I'd rather just get some other IEM.

3. Dickymint
    I have personally ordered loads of stuff through Aliexpress from various sellers and so far, I have never been disappointed. But this is just my personal opinion.

KipNix likes this.
  4. CoiL
    Yeah, I suspected it was sarcasm :D

About IT01 - have You tried wide bore tips? And if You dare - remove metal+nylon grills.
    Only KZ that can best only 1 thing about IT01 is ZS5v1 with soundstage width. Otherwise IT01 (especially modded) beats every KZ and other cheapos I`ve heard in every aspect, imho, with my gear.
    Would like to try ZS10 about those things You said but it is too big for my ears and price makes me question. I went ES4 instead.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  5. Karael
    Me too, its just that the only sellers who have the KZ ED16 now are the ones who are banned at this forum. I was afraid they might sell counterfeit KZ products so I wanted a second opinion since I've seen some people in here have given those sellers a second chance. Thanks for the input!

6. Vestat
    Never say never my friend..
    Remember the not so long time ago when transistors were like this...
    Replica-of-first-transistor.jpg

7. Slater
    Yes, you have a point. However, assuming miniaturization makes this possible down the road, my question would be do we need 400 BAs? More ≠ better.

8. HungryPanda
    The circuitry would be huge or not at all in some instances

9. Vestat
    I'm still with you defending the one good dynamic driver against many budget noisemakers.

10. SciOC
    I've tried many different tips, and honestly staging is one area I don't feel the it01 excels (and yes, I have more than 400 hours on them).

I think the zs10 wins staging/layering/separation versus the it01, but the zs10 gets beat by the 170 dollar tfz king pro and easily beat by the 200 dollar brainwavz b400 in my collection.

11. rfsux
    I’m not an engineer, but have a technical question.
    The ZS10 (DD+4BA) has only two capacitors, so I ponder that it only has a two-way crossover (one 20 Hz—n kHz section combined with one n kHz—40,000 kHz section).
    The ES4 (DD+BA) has one capacitor. I can’t guess how one capacitor can separate one frequency range for the DD, then separate another range for the BA. Is timbre tuned inside the BA or with a capacitor?
    Frustratingly, I cannot imagine the method that frequencies are separated with so few capacitors (technically capacitor and resistor combinations).
    If three/five/eight drivers per side are to handle distinct ranges, then would there need to be three/five/eight capacitors per side?

12. mbwilson111
    I am looking forward to your thoughts on the ED16. I love mine. To me, it is a gem. It is smaller than I thought it would be. ...and better...so much better..

Strat Rider likes this.
  13. mbwilson111
    Yes it does.

14. vladstef
    IEM crossovers are done differently compared speaker ones - space limitation + IEM drivers are always full range drivers (there really aren't woofers - tweeters, just drivers that are better at some frequencies while producing full range). This means that you don't really even need a crossover as 2 well chosen drivers will manage to work together, especially if they are the same. Obviously, well done crossover is always a good thing but you are limited to RC crossovers with smd components pretty much.

I think (don't know for sure, just going from what I've seen in IEMs) that ZS10 is probably using a 3 way crossover just looking at the board on the back - dynamic driver is full range and doesn't have a low pass before it, mid range BAs have a high pass with one capacitor and treble drivers have a smaller capacitor for even higher cut off frequency. Thus, it would go something like this:
    - DD - full range, 10 - 20k+
    - 2BAs with larger capacitor - upper mid range and treble, probably come into play somewhere around 2-3K
    - 2BAs with small capacitor - treble - I suspect that they mostly contribute 5-6K and above.

Again, this is just a guess and how most IEM crossovers are done (not really crossovers in the end, just low pass filters for BAs).
    The other option would be to have a low pass filter on the DD with one very large capacitor and a single capacitor for all 4 BAs that combined produce mid range and treble (highly doubt it, KZ has always used DDs to cover most of the mid range in pretty much every IEM)

ShakyJake, GrassFed and rfsux like this.
  15. MDH12AX7
    I have the Ed16 on order.... I see you also have the KZ Es4 and the TRN V20 both of which I own. I know you don't do reviews and I respect that. I am just curious if the Ed16 sounds at all similar to the other two? No pressure. Just curious. Thanks.