Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 29, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #32,821 of 63,802
I'm curious... Won't it be easy to solder the connectors the correct way. I used to solder cellphones back in the day so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult. Especially since the ZSA opens easily like the KS6. I've got a set of ZSAs ordered myself and use TRN bluetooth for my cables. A straight connector won't be an option for me. I hear the out of phase seems to happen to KZ models once in awhile but hasn't happened to me... yet.

It's even easier than that.

In @HungryPanda's case, the ZSA was internally wired properly, but 1 of the jacks was simply installed backwards. So all you have to do in that case is open the back, flip the offending jack around 180 degrees, and reinstall the back.

You only have to resolder when it's internally wired wrong. Someone recently had a ZS10 that had the BAs soldered out of phase. The only way to fix that particular issue is open them up and resolder them the right way.

May 29, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #32,822 of 63,802
Alright so apparently my es4 got lost in transit so I'm getting a refund.

Currently owning the es3 and zs10, is there really any use in getting the es4 still? Or should I just wait for the 16 driver?

I use these 95% of the time for performing on stage if that matters.

May 29, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #32,825 of 63,802
Is there a concensous on the ZS10? Also, is KZ still alone in this road of great sounding iem's that sound like, triple the price?
No real consensus on the zs10... I think the only thing that can be said is that it's not a total giant killer like everyone was hoping for.

$150-$200+ IEMs are definitely better.

As for kz being alone, depends who you ask, but I'd say no, there are others but they're not as consistent.

May 29, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #32,826 of 63,802
Alright so apparently my es4 got lost in transit so I'm getting a refund.

Currently owning the es3 and zs10, is there really any use in getting the es4 still? Or should I just wait for the 16 driver?

I use these 95% of the time for performing on stage if that matters.

Get TRN V20 for that purpose:wink:

The best IEM for live musicians under 20$.
I have tried and used various KZ for live playing, but they had their good sides and flaws at the same time (ZS3 bass, ZSR bass/drums, ZS6 for vocals/guitars/keys, ZS10 universal, jack of all trades, but master of none, ATE only if you like dark signatures and have a really good preamp for headphones bcs their sensitivity is low) TRN is the winner here, works for all roles, mids go a long way for live playing :)

BTW. totally different story if you just want to listen to music, then it depends on sound signatures you like, I like ZS10 so far the best as it is the most neutral in my book with little recessed mids (but not too much) and a good soundstage and separation. TRN are right in your face, very dense and precise, helps on a noisy stage where you often cant hear the nuances and are focusing on playing more then details that are lost in the translation.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #32,827 of 63,802
Are vocals in anyone’s burned-in ZS10 still recessed? In my one-month-old pair, they are more upfront than my new ones. However, I don’t know if they have become balanced, and I have not heard the ZSR in comparison.

May 29, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #32,831 of 63,802
Well I went with the zsr for my 3rd iem. I may end up selling my es3 if I like them enough along with my zs10. Should be a great 2 sets until the 16s come out.

The ES4 is very good and would probably work well on stage as they have quite thick bass and lower mids and plenty of sparkle up top.

In the honeymoon phase at the moment but they're my go to earphone at the moment.

May 29, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #32,833 of 63,802
I changed the tips on my KZ10 as I was having a problem getting deep enough insertion but I can't stand double or triple flange ... or foams. I found this pair among our millions of tips. The only one that has the sleeve part (the red part in the photo) protruding below the rest of the tip. I hope this makes sense. It helps the tip go in farther and it was comfortable and sounded really good. Only problem is, I have no idea what these tips are so that I can get more. They probably came with some other iem but I have too many. Does anyone recognize this type or have a link to something similar?

R0013326.JPG

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #32,834 of 63,802
Received my ES4 today and they're a huge improvement over the ZS10. When listening at desired volumes, I found the upper-mids of the ZS10 painful as if I was being stabbed in the eardrums. Vocals also sounded very unnatural and nasal.

The ES4 has none of that. I tried turning the volume up louder than usual on those same painful passages and had no problems. The bass has the same smoothness as how I remember the ZS10, possibly feeling a tad more emphasized, though I haven't really A/B'ed them yet. Vocals sound much more natural. Like the ZSR, my initial impression is that the ES4 has a very nice sound signature, but where the ZSR's mid-bass was often overbearing the ES4's is just right. So far this is my favorite KZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back