1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. misterchao
    Me too. I have I hunch it will be a baby ZS6 or similar. They are in the mail along with es4 and ZSR :)

I still need to get ZST Pros as I returned them and got the regular ZST. But they are not like I remember. There is much difference between them he ZST and ZST Pro

2. Slater
    Yeah, as @Otto Motor has kind of summed up in the past, KZs are basically 'meat and potatoes for the working man' IEMs. Not starving college ramen noodles-grade gear (like Rock Zircons), but certainly not filet mignon with crab oscar level stuff.

If you are OK with a nice hot and juicy In and Out 2x2 with Animal Style fries, then you will be perfectly happy with KZ IEMs. The people that have the delusion that KZs are somehow lobster flambe with cognac cream sauce, then you're going to be sorely disappointed.

MyPants, DocHoliday, Vaughn and 5 others like this.
  3. misterchao
    I wager the ZS6 shoot at least to products in the $100 range. I strongly prefer my ZS6 over pinnacle PX. For 1/3rd the price and 200% the quality.

If pinnacle PX are lobster flambé with cognac cream sauce, they aren’t but the are also highly recommended as well, then I’m delusional as well.

Lorspeaker likes this.
  4. Aparker2005
    They shipped, but they've been stuck in this ready for dispatch for nearly 2 weeks now

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  5. CoiL
    All my 3x ZS3`s that I got from GB for 4$ also have quite piercing highs and very V-shaped signature, with boomy/muddy bass and recessed mids. No matter what tips being used.
    Only early (matte) version ZS3 were reported quite good SQ.

Slater likes this.
  6. Zerohour88
    please remove any mention of the banned seller, you can check @Slater signature on the list and reasons why they are banned

7. Oscar-HiFi
    Oscar level stuff? I just heard my name :D and I'm far from rich

Slater, HungryPanda and mbwilson111 like this.
  8. themindfreak
    Hmm mine was the non matte version. I guess it seems to be a case of different hearing perception of the ZS3. From my memory the ZS3 was thick sounding as hell and I had to focus my hearing just to hear the treble and mids

9. MyPants
    See the Pinnacle P1/PX aren't lobster either. They're like Cheesecake Factory or just north of that. If you want lobster in IEM form you're spending $1-2k for CA Andromedas or Noble Kaiser Encores.
    That being being said, the ZS6 is indeed punching well above its price.

10. Wiljen
    Got to listen to two more samples of the Zs10 today and while the others have recessed mids they are nowhere near as bad as the pair I received. All three of us agreed that if we hadn't looked we would not have thought it was the same model as the other two. Now I have to get another so I can dissect and compare.

themindfreak and MyPants like this.
  11. Slater
    Ouch, KZ QC strikes again!

My guess is 1 or both of the midrange BAs are dead or there’s a wiring problem.

I’d contact the seller and see if you can get them swapped out. Not sure how you’d ‘prove’ that just the midrange is wonky though, as sites like Aliexpress and Gearbest ask for video proof of the problem. It would show up on FR measurements, assuming you could get access to a measurement setup.

DocHoliday likes this.
  12. RvTrav
    How has the ED15 been forgotten so quickly. At the end of March I ordered the ZS10 and ED15. My ZS10 still has not arrived but I received the ED15s several weeks ago and have spent quite a bit of time with them. Although I am not a bass head I am finding these heavy bass earphones to be very addictive. Before Head-fiers start receiving the ES4, ED16 and ZSA I wanted to give you my thoughts on the ED15. I purchased the black ED15 and it is an attractive well built earphone with KZs upgraded cable (not detachable). Early into my first listening session with the ED15 it was very evident that the bass was the star of this earphone. Nothing ruins my enjoyment of an earphone quicker than bloated bass that bleeds into the mids. The bass on the ED15 is very big and yet very well controlled and does not bleed into the mids. The bass is not only big but it also goes very deep and has a richness to it that I am finding very enjoyable. At times you can feel the bass of the ED15 through your entire body. Although the bass is the star the mids and treble seem well proportioned and both have good clarity. I do not find the treble to be overly bright but when I received them and played my test tracks for sibilance I noticed that they were quite sibilant (also noted by B9Scrambler) . I am pleased to say however that after some use and a brief burn in period I have found that these tracks now only reveal minimal sibilance. If you are looking for a fun earphone that is a little different than KZs other recent releases and would like to experience some very big yet rich and controlled bass that allows the mids and treble to join in then you might want to consider the ED15.

13. zazaboy
    Any news about kz zsa.. Btw I hate companys that change there drivers or has qc issues.. Due the high demand...

14. Zerohour88
    Any company that ships a significant number of products will have QC problems. Even Dita and Campfire Audio have QC problems despite their high price. Heck, most recent is the crap build problems on my Rose North Forest (have to jiggle the driver sometimes to make it work). Until somehow everyone gets a lemon or non-working unit, its better to redirect the problem the seller and try to negotiate a refund/replacement.

Driver change? Other than the last instance of ATE/ATR series and the ZS5v1 fiasco, I've no reason to believe they're doing it for malicious or greedy intent, just misunderstanding what people want and implementing variations badly.

Complaining about stuff like these is like beating a dead horse, its boring and not really conducive to the discussion.

No one received their ZSA yet, so far as we've seen.

rayliam80 and DocHoliday like this.
  15. CoiL
    About hearing perception... I think no. I`m well referenced with other head-fi members and have many KZ`s and some other good IEMs.
    Also my source gear(s) is pretty great (imho very good after modifications) and I never use EQ btw.
    I think it is mainly about KZ changing tuning/driver of ZS3 + well known VERY BAD QC with heat-shrink sound tubes (crushed, uneven shrinking, cracked).
    But heck, I love ZS3 shells and fit. Will get back finishing modding them after IT01 & ZS5v1 mods.

themindfreak, Slater, Bartig and 2 others like this.