Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 19, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #32,522 of 63,827
For me ZS10 makes the female vocals sound weird, especially on metal tracks. Like someone shoved some material in an over-amplified mid range speaker to bring it to level with the bass and highs. It adds to many low mids in a weird way that make it sound muffled while still very forward. If I switch from them to my reference headphones, the vocals sound like I just god rid of some water from my ears and everything sounds clear again. They do have amazing separation and mostly instrumental songs sound great, but I do not enjoy listening to metal on them or even songs like Sia-Elastic heart. The voice sounds weird, somehow muffled compared to any of my other IEMs or headphones, neutral or fun.

May 19, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #32,523 of 63,827
For me ZS10 makes the female vocals sound weird, especially on metal tracks. Like someone shoved some material in an over-amplified mid range speaker to bring it to level with the bass and highs. It adds to many low mids in a weird way that make it sound muffled while still very forward. If I switch from them to my reference headphones, the vocals sound like I just god rid of some water from my ears and everything sounds clear again. They do have amazing separation and mostly instrumental songs sound great, but I do not enjoy listening to metal on them or even songs like Sia-Elastic heart. The voice sounds weird, somehow muffled compared to any of my other IEMs or headphones, neutral or fun.

I will check out your comments. Elastic Heart is a pretty edgy track anyhow - some of Sia's stuff is recorded amazingly well, but Elastic Heart seems a little over produced or something. But, I will listen to stuff like that some more to see if I can hear what you are hearing. I do not listen to metal or EDM, so not sure what to say there...

May 20, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #32,526 of 63,827
ZS10 mod with a switch to turn on and off each driver individually lol. Would be interesting to play with.

https://twitter.com/kosodatezamurai/status/989144446888394753
Dboln9NUQAEkuye.jpg

This was already posted in here once

May 20, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #32,531 of 63,827
I own one of these but this is a product from xxxxxx so you can't post it here.
Please edit your post and remove name for the sake of this thread

May 20, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #32,533 of 63,827

Looks like the uniformity of the sound signature you discovered in the ATR and ATE may be a result of KZ pulling the ATR's ABS dynamic driver and installing the ATE's Copper driver.

If I remember correctly you discovered that both drivers were identical. Is that correct?

Please note the information in the following review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-atr-in-ear-monitor.23032/reviews#review-20130

The drivers were definitely different when the ATR was originally released. It appears not to be the case now. I'll have to order a new set of ATR and ATE to compare to my original ATR and my ATE(ii).

Share your thoughts when you can.

Thanks

Yes, I have modded and opened many ATR`s and ATE`s and last ones I got (about 2 months back) were both using same ATE red shelled driver. Also, ATR& ATE nozzle inner diameter and shape are exactly same. I tested them head-to-head with different music and found no difference in sound.
ATE SQ has been most consistent in KZ family, with only slight change to better. I have 4 pairs of ATE and 2 ATR as backup and modding, so, won`t be bying any other so soon.

Btw, I read Your review and I don`t think they lack much micro-detail nor do I find them mids-recessed (one of the best midrange KZs actually).
Have You opened covers of You ATR ? Can You say which color is PCB on back of driver?
Don`t turn notice on those advertisement pics - ATR/ATE drivers don`t look exactly same as shown on pics.

ATE/ATR requirements to sound best they can do:
* remove nozzle grills.
* use wide-bore tips.
* push the tip totally down against the shell with tip edge being on level with nozzle edge.
* use better cable (lower impedance) as stock is around 0.8-1 Ohm.
* amp them!

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #32,534 of 63,827
Hello. I now have KZ ATR and KZ ZS3.
I like the ATR more. Powerfull bass, especially with Viper 4 Android - Dynamic system - high end headphones.
The highs are nice and not piercing at all.

ZS3 - I like that they have more detail. But the highs are too much for me.
They fit me well only with memory foam tips. I use the longest ones and I have reduced everything above 5khz with an equalizer. But still the highs are a bit too much for me.
Which KZ (or other) do you think I will like next?
Zs 5, ZS 6 - I guess NOT.

Maybe Zsr or ZS10?

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #32,535 of 63,827
Hello. I now have KZ ATR and KZ ZS3.
I like the ATR more. Powerfull bass, especially with Viper 4 Android - Dynamic system - high end headphones.
The highs are nice and not piercing at all.

ZS3 - I like that they have more detail. But the highs are too much for me.
They fit me well only with memory foam tips. I use the longest ones and I have reduced everything above 5khz with an equalizer. But still the highs are a bit too much for me.
Which KZ (or other) do you think I will like next?
Zs 5, ZS 6 - I guess NOT.

Maybe ZSR or ZS10?
No, not one of those. Both are not known for their spectacular amount of highs, but the ZS3 has even less emphasis on the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back