1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. phower
    Yes. As an average consumer, you don't have to care about graphs. But, since there is no place to audition earphones, it will save you time and money by learning about FRs. Most of the time, we can infer how a headphone will sound by looking at the FR which can help you to decide whether to buy it or not.

Research has shown (blue line in my graph) is what people preferred on average. So, a FR of a headphone which looks like the blue line will sound nice.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    ChaoticKinesis and PacoBdn like this.
  2. PacoBdn
    I think the graphics are important. They give you an idea what you can expect from headphones. But unlike headphones, IEMs depend on several factors as we all know. Insertion, anatomy, tips, etc. Simply changing the tips we get a completely different sound.

The ZS10 are good iem. Another thing is that some have not achieved a good fit, either by defective insertion or by not getting a good seal. It could also be that there are defective units! Luckily it is not my case. I liked them a lot and I think they are a clear upgrade compared to the ZSR.

3. B9Scrambler
    I'm not saying graphs are unimportant, not at all. They just carry too much weight, especially given those other factors you mentioned. A product that measures poorly can still sound great. Maybe it's not accurate or it doesn't follow an ideal curve, but the resultant tuning simply works. Havi B3 Pro I is a good example. Measured horrendously but the end result speaks for itself given how long it has been a staple recommendation in the community.

4. misterchao
    So carbon and colored ZST are very different? I listened to the colored ZST a long time ago and loved them but returned them.

Now I have the carbon ZST. I’m not sure it is as lovely as the colored one but I wasn’t sure on my experience. Maybe they are the same I don’t remember, now I need to get me a colored ZST to compare again.

5. Otto Motor
    I agree...and cite head fier crinacle who philosophically wrote something like: a graph gives you the earphone's general flavour. Let's say chocolate or vanilla. But it does not tell you whether the choco or vanilla are really tasty..

A graph is therefore a good first test for some whether the the tonal flavour of an earphone fits their personal preference. For example, I have many very cheap earphones that have strongly V-shaped curves...and I try to avoid getting more of the same. Some people like neutrally tuned earphones and the graph indicates this without listening - handy!

What I find particularly useful is the superimposition of such graphs...great for quick earphone comparisons and in support of the reviewer's wording.

In summary, the FR curve is just one of many useful evaluation tools in our toolbox - and it is somewhat inconclusive by itself. It tells you about quantity not quality of the signal.

This graph- and personal preference business comes with experience and personal development.

Bartig likes this.
  6. Otto Motor
    No! They are indentical. I have both.

7. B9Scrambler
    Great way to put it :beerchug:

Otto Motor likes this.
  8. Makahl
    If there's something different I think that's more a question of batches IMO which makes difficult to answer it. If I understood correctly the article is comparing a ZST from 2016.

However, an objective answer would be measuring ZSTs carbon/colored from 2016/2017/2018 to confirm something, otherwise, it's just speculation.

9. Otto Motor
    My ears are not speculative. If there was a tonal difference, it is negiglible.

Pick your colour here...
    https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=538357965661

KZ ZST圈铁挂耳式运动HIFI入耳式线控手机通用带麦重低音耳机-tmall.com天猫.jpg

10. Makahl
    I mean... it's speculation there's a difference between the models.

11. WildSeven
    After some burn-in and changed the tip to Spin Fit, I can say they sounded great. Now the seal is very important, if you don't have a good fit with the shell and tip, the bass will sound ****ty (I'd personally advise sealing the vent holes if you ear does not hug the shell and block them). The nozzle on the ZS10 is not as long as the other KZ I had, tried with Foam, double flange and finally settled with CP100 tip. It does a wonderful job giving me a great seal due to that flex tip and extra 2 mm length compare to the stock red/clear silicon KZ tips.

The bass and sub bass is insanely good, on par with the TFZ King, but resolution in the upper frequency is still lacking compare to the single graphene driver. Mids are NOT as recessed as I first listened to them. I'd say the sound is more relaxed and not analytical at all.

IMG_20180505_210739_966.jpg
    After insertion I would recommend turn it back to achieve a better fit, this sits right in the ear and will not fall out.
    Image shows my medium size ear hugging the shell tightly.

Conclusion: I think this is a great addition to my collection, good for gaming, movies and EDM musics.

12. fluteloop
    He's probably had bout 15 minutes of listening time, he'd need to smash some power into them let them cook for a bit in a nice sizzling puddle of Pink Noise Fading in and out some Big dirty sweeps.... yeah they're gonna need a week or two of straight thrashing. my zs6's are still getting better and better... i practically never stop running them... still settling in must have at least 500+ hours on them already. The zs10's will be a nightmare in this regard I can tell. won't stop me from getting them, i'll bake em for a month and then test them. anyone giving impressions with under 50 hours of serious thrash time is just blowing warm air in my own godforsaken opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  13. Wiljen

Seems to me the general mentality of all of Chi-fi is if a design from another manufacturer sells well, copy it.

MyPants likes this.
  14. fluteloop
    (zs10) everyone mentions music and gaming, i'm still waiting on peoples impressions of adult filmography performance...

15. fluteloop

that's completely acceptable behaviour sir, not everyone here is a Graph reading poindexter, the graphs shut down the people who tout nonsense because they have tinnitus and just don't know it. you can't argue with electronic ears and read outs. graphs are a way to quickly perceive what kind of sound signature a phone will have, people familiar with them can immedietely write certain products off according to graphs, while graphs don't tell the whole story and deliver an accurate review of the overall experience it does however quickly inform the discerning listener of possible indicators.. people who may already have similiar phones with similiar freq responses etc. enjoy your music, if you plan on buying more than one headphone and someone takes the time to post a graph use it, it just might save you from wasting money on similiarly sounding phones :D

Slater likes this.